What books are you reading?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 20:49

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:I saw tonight on news, how an outdoor pizza oven was still standing. Interesting what survives.

they're built with fire bricks (clay instead of concrete) so won't burn'

i wonder if they still heat up inside when the fire is on the outside?

I thought of what you put up earlier about the kiln and that person got in and survived with fire blanket also.
The kiln stopped any flames going through, but the fire blanket stopped the heat.

I've no idea how it works. I would be guessing the heat is restricted substantially

No, Lols, the other way around.
The kiln protected from the massive heat, and the blanket kept out the flames.

The person was very clever … kilns , if off. as I'd have to imagine it was, given the fire danger, become the perfect places to escape from heat. Any deep hole in clayish areas can also act as a bunker.. another man escaped the fires because he had a small coffin-like shelter he's prepared in a nearby small gully.

My dog has dug has dug adeep tunnel, in under a bank of earth, .. My entire body could fit in it and her as well. She started it a couple of years ago, and recently, using the available space along that shallow manmade clay bank, around a largish stump full of plants, she has started another tunnel, ( I'd have to call it that :bgrin ) that looks like it could intersect with the existing burrow.

My friends have remarked on it, and I do find it very interesting.... given the possible drying out further of the local climate impacts.. it would be a very effective place to take cover.. would need some previous watering down of the surrounds.. relatively clear of debris.. perhaps have some sacks ,, ( NO synthehics) , to act like a bag to keep off all the critters that'd be joining me.. :bgrin wet newspapers as well , to help put a barrier over the opening.. I also have a kitchen fire blanket...

It is amazing the things you can think of eh.?
Last edited by pinkeye on 26 Jan 2020, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 21:01

err sorry got distracted.

I'm reading the Jo Nesbo novel... KNIFE
The latest Harry Hole .

Norwegian Noire.

I find him at least as impressive as Michael Connolly Karin Slaughter and the other notables..

I have to commend the translator Neil Smith. Wonderful.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jan 2020, 03:00

Wet newspaper would dry out and flash burn in a real bushfire—a fire blanket would be better.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 17:05

Started a 10cm thick book on Churchill by John Charmley.

A war monger, reactionary even idiot (Gallipoli he never apologised for) but still a vital figure because England was full of appeasers and cowards in the 1930s-40s, Lord Halifax, Ambassador Jo Kennedy to name just two. Even Roosevelt wanted to be assured England could hang on so that aid to England didn’t end up in German hands.

Luckily Mrs Simpson removed another nazi sympathiser, King Edward, from the scene—Edward had to be made Governor of the Bahamas, could not be trusted closer to Europe than that! So Churchill made history in a good way. And some in a bad way (Gallipoli, the civil war in Greece after WWII ended.)

To make it possible, Gallipoli should have been invaded even while the English battleships tried to command the Dardanelles. But the invasion fleet under Kitchener hung around Cyprus long enough for the Ottoman Turks to prepare. Australians died at Gallipoli, died to no avail under English command. Australians under Australian command did much better: I astounded a yank journalist (a brew buddy) by asking when the last cavalry charge was. He mentioned some battle against (red) Indians and I told him about the Charge of the Australian light cavalry at Beersheba that turned the whole Turkish defensive line in Palestine. Battle of Hamel showed how attacks should be mounted and in Tobruk and Kokoda we showed what Aussies could do when not hampered by English commanders!

Anyway, Churchill did achieve great feats.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic