Anthony Bourdain Dead

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Anthony Bourdain Dead

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:23

greggerypeccary wrote:Committed suicide.

Only 61 years old.

Travelled the world, eating and drinking.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

I quite enjoy all of his TV series.

I wonder what was bothering him - health, family, drugs? :sad

Very sad.

Val Kilmer seemed to indicate early family trouble!
MilesAway
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:27

mothra wrote:Absolutely gobsmacked reading the thread on Bourdain on Ozpol.

That the level of ignorance about mental health and suicide is still prevalent in 2018 to people with access to technology just astonishes me.

I don't understand why people feel entitled to put forth such callous commentary when even by their own admissions they fail to empathise. Who the fuck do you people think you are?

No fucking idea at all. Aussie, i'm looking at you.

Your ideas about mental health are label people then give them drugs and "...., next please!" Then, "....ohhhh, us feminists understand the poor male condition!"<wink wink wink>

You're a complete fraud!!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:28

pinkeye wrote:I am more than sad to gather from your post, Mothra, that this has given the morons on OzPol another thing to abuse.

I'm really glad I don't read OzPol anymore. I guess if I did, I'd see stuff I'd rather not, that reflects badly on people here.

I felt an affinity with Anthony Bourdain, as I am sure many others have also. Same age, even greyer hair than his, but, different sex... I admired his courage, his search for the REAL in this cartoon world. Viva Anthony Bourdain. I'll be watching him on the teev for many years to come, I hope.

Don't worry about ozpol: a person died you f head!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:28

mothra wrote:I'm more wishing to get Aussie's attention, Pink.

I'd like to have the opportunity to challenge him on some of his comments.

Who cares what someone else thinks.... you dumb femo!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:30

mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I felt an affinity with Anthony Bourdain, as I am sure many others have also. Same age, even greyer hair than his, but, different sex... I admired his courage, his search for the REAL in this cartoon world. Viva Anthony Bourdain. I'll be watching him on the teev for many years to come, I hope.

I can't profess to being any more familiar with him than remembering him from adverts. I don't watch cooking shows. I read and hear he was an interesting man. He built bridges. I respect that.

I am very interested in talking about suicide though. I respectfully hope his death, through discussion and acknowledgement, serves the purpose at least of opening dialogue and furthering understanding.

How about people stop pretending they care when really all they want to do is sell more drugs and label everyone a leper!??!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:33

HBS Guy wrote:Mostly about how awful they feel.

BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE ARE AWFUL TO THEM, PERHAPS.... family dynamics are vicious and you know this!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:34

pinkeye wrote:So Monk, you want to drag the acrimony from Pzpol on to this topic, here.?

You are obviously discussing something OTHER than what has been posted HERE.

MONK.. you should shut the fuck up, and piss off, if you are blaming blah blah blah.

YOU have NO CLUE. Just accept that, and shut up.

I DON'T THINK HE STARTED IT!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:35

mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Mostly about how awful they feel.

No. That's not the case at all! And dangerously, it perpetuates the myth Setanta was pimping on that thread ... that depression is just sulking.

Depressed people tend to feel utterly worthless. Abjectly unlovable. Apologetic for their own existences. And critically, absolutely overwhelmed.

How do you think judgement helps?

It is not self indulgence; they think less of themselves than you ever will

It is not laziness; they work hard. Incredibly hard.

It is not because they are less resilient; it is a response to stimuli. We can learn much from them, should we listen.

Depressed people often can't work!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:38

HBS Guy wrote:I know what depression feels like. Day 1 business partner was “Take as much time as you need” and Day 2 was “Can’t you snap out of it?”

Anthony left behind an 11yo daughter. Starting to look selfish to me.

Don’t know what the guy was feeling or why he did it but an 11yo daughter?

It's about impulsiveness too... we've all thought bad thoughts but acting on them is something most of us pull our head out of and the clouds clear.

You talked about gambling(I didn't realize that was part of the story, but anyway) and they are the worst for it after a bad loss.

Apparently... I don't really know!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:44

Aussie wrote:

Here I am. He was a selfish prick. If he did think of his daughter, he obviously did not think much of his relationship with her at the moment, did he?

"I'll teach her a lesson.....I'll go hang myself. Maybe then, she'll be hurt enough to miss me."

Nah.

That's a legitimate thought. After my best mates suicide and my mates took me to play darts at their house to tell me I eventually said, "..but we forgive him don't we?" And they said, "Of course....".

They were in as much pain as me of course..... Looking for words as much as me: they didn't want to tell me!! They were his best mates too from like 5 years old and stuff!

Everyone reacts different and in the end I couldn't even go to more funerals of my mates from way back to the same kindergarten period.... I wasn't even 30 yet! It's a sickening event and my best mate used to say the things Aussie is saying about our best mate who went before him.... I get the what some may call paradoxical feeling but it's all a struggle to fit it into a coherent worldwiew so I say Aussie is legitimate in what he says. I may protest but I do listen and respect that it is the gravity of the event that forces one to consider the true quality of existence and it's just him expressing that. I've heard those points of view before and the people making them equally respect other points of view they are just in an adamant frame of mind because of the distressing toll of the event itself.

Bloody Western Australia hey!??! :PC
Last edited by MilesAway on 10 Jun 2018, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jun 2018, 17:46

Gambling is something depressed people do: the excitement at the placing of a wager, the turn of a card (or the spin of a pokie I suppose) lifts you out of your depression. A loss, of course, makes the depression worse! I am not claiming it is rational behavior!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 10 Jun 2018, 17:53

HBS Guy wrote:Gambling is something depressed people do: the excitement at the placing of a wager, the turn of a card (or the spin of a pokie I suppose) lifts you out of your depression. A loss, of course, makes the depression worse! I am not claiming it is rational behavior!

Yeh, well I've learnt that there are "the four 'f's'" as the possible reactions to fear.

They are Fight, Flight, Freeze and Reaffirm(sometimes knows as Fornication). You could say Gambling becomes a way of reaffirming your existence I suppose. It could maybe also be seen as the freeze response of a prey animal under attack.... or flight: you can tell I don't do this for a living :beer

Hey, how about picking a fight at the gambling table? :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :PC :thumb :thumb
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jun 2018, 17:58

wow, two posts from miles with no mention of 'femo's' ..... on a roll. :c :c :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jun 2018, 18:03

Gambling is avoidance behavior, DRAH. Avoiding dealing with depression.

Massage is the way to get out of depression: relaxation is key.

Booze is a depressent.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 10 Jun 2018, 23:40

Aussie wrote:

Here I am. He was a selfish prick. If he did think of his daughter, he obviously did not think much of his relationship with her at the moment, did he?

"I'll teach her a lesson.....I'll go hang myself. Maybe then, she'll be hurt enough to miss me."

Nah.

I'l get back to you when i'm not hungover. You'll keep.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 10 Jun 2018, 23:59

MilesAway wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Nah.

That's a legitimate thought. After my best mates suicide and my mates took me to play darts at their house to tell me I eventually said, "..but we forgive him don't we?" And they said, "Of course....".

They were in as much pain as me of course..... Looking for words as much as me: they didn't want to tell me!! They were his best mates too from like 5 years old and stuff!

Everyone reacts different and in the end I couldn't even go to more funerals of my mates from way back to the same kindergarten period.... I wasn't even 30 yet! It's a sickening event and my best mate used to say the things Aussie is saying about our best mate who went before him.... I get the what some may call paradoxical feeling but it's all a struggle to fit it into a coherent worldwiew so I say Aussie is legitimate in what he says. I may protest but I do listen and respect that it is the gravity of the event that forces one to consider the true quality of existence and it's just him expressing that. I've heard those points of view before and the people making them equally respect other points of view they are just in an adamant frame of mind because of the distressing toll of the event itself.

Bloody Western Australia hey!??! :PC

Fuck me, you're making sense .

There is NO one size fits all.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jun 2018, 09:50

pinkeye wrote:Fuck me, you're making sense .

I know right!. It's scaring me. :giggle :giggle :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 11 Jun 2018, 14:51

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Fuck me, you're making sense .

I know right!. It's scaring me. :giggle :giggle :giggle

Loved the bit about WA. Just a little reminder.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 12 Jun 2018, 19:30

HBS Guy wrote:Gambling is avoidance behavior, DRAH. Avoiding dealing with depression.

Massage is the way to get out of depression: relaxation is key.

Booze is a depressent.

Everything is avoidant behaviour! Gambling is wantingly playing against your best interests!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Previous

Return to Off Topic