Germaine Greer: 'Most rape is just bad sex'

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Postby mothra » 31 May 2018, 20:17

Feminist author Germaine Greer has sparked widespread condemnation for saying most rapes did not involve any injury and were “just lazy, just careless, just insensitive”.

The 79-year-old also called for an overhaul of the criminal justice system, saying rape should be punishable by 200 hours of community service instead of jail.

Ms Greer made the controversial comments on Wednesday at the Hay Festival, an annual literature event in Wales.

The Female Eunuch author said the “official position” that 70 per cent of rape victims suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder in comparison with 20 per cent of military veterans was ridiculous.

“At this point, you think, what the hell are you saying? That something that leaves no sign, no injury, nothing, is more damaging to women than seeing your best friend blown up by an IED is to a veteran?” she reportedly said.

Ms Greer also said she understands the crime, having been raped as a teenager.

“I was violently raped days before my 19th birthday. I was beaten half-unconscious,” she reportedly told the audience as she argued that a rape victim’s life wasn’t “destroyed”.

“We haven’t been destroyed, we’ve been bloody annoyed, is what we’ve been. I reckon 200 hours of community service will do… would do me. I suggested a long time ago that maybe a little tattoo would be a good thing. Maybe an ‘R’ on your hand. I’d prefer it on your cheek."

The second-wave feminist targeted the legal treatment of those who bring rape allegations before a courtroom.

“This is a mess, it’s a big mess. And it’s getting us worse than nowhere. Because it’s one thing to be raped, but it’s another thing to try to get the person who outraged you brought to justice and then be totally discredited," she said. “That humiliation must be even worse than rape.”

The broadcaster also said, "most rapes don’t involve any injury whatsoever.”

“We are told it’s one of the most violent crimes in the world… Bullshit. Most rape is just lazy, just careless, just insensitive,” she was quoted to have said.

“Every time a man rolls over on his exhausted wife and insists on enjoying his conjugal right, he is raping her. It will never end up in a court of law.

“Instead of thinking of rape as a spectacularly violent crime – and some rapes are – think about it as non-consensual, that is, bad sex. Sex where there is no communication, no tenderness, no mention of love. We used to talk about lovemaking.”

Ms Greer is publishing her full argument on rape in a new book, due out in Australia in September.

Her comments have sparked outrage, with social media users expressing "horror and rage".

"Can't really begin to express the horror and rage I feel about Germaine Greer's remarks about rape," Buzzfeed editor Patrick Strudwick Tweeted. "How on Earth could an academic be so f***ing ignorant about the psychology of trauma? It's Trumpian."

"This is twisted," Writer Will Black wrote.

"I call for Germaine Greer to stop calling herself a feminist. Because she very clearly isn't," English history professor Tanja Bueltmann wrote.

Australian TV personality Lisa Wilkinson said,"it's time for Germaine Greer to shut up".

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/germaine-greer-most-rape-is-just-bad-sex
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Germaine Greer: 'Most rape is just bad sex'

Postby mothra » 31 May 2018, 20:24

I have a great many responses to this, most of which can be imagined so i'll not bother ...but ... i wanna say i reckon the last time Greer paid a visit to Mr. Cock-up i said i considered her problem to be extreme arrogance more than anything else.

She believes that her thoughts and reactions are the correct ones and anyone differing is ridiculed and diminished.

This is the absolute opposite of feminism.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 31 May 2018, 20:35

Growing old disgracefully and relishing the attention I’d say.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2018, 20:46

she gets crazier every time she opens her mouth
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2018, 20:46

HBS Guy wrote:Growing old disgracefully and relishing the attention I’d say.

sounds like aussie

:rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 31 May 2018, 20:47

mothra wrote:Germaine Greer: 'Most rape is just bad sex'

Feminist author Germaine Greer has sparked widespread condemnation for saying most rapes did not involve any injury and were “just lazy, just careless, just insensitive”.

The 79-year-old also called for an overhaul of the criminal justice system, saying rape should be punishable by 200 hours of community service instead of jail.

Ms Greer made the controversial comments on Wednesday at the Hay Festival, an annual literature event in Wales.

The Female Eunuch author said the “official position” that 70 per cent of rape victims suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder in comparison with 20 per cent of military veterans was ridiculous.

Interesting, if correct.

“At this point, you think, what the hell are you saying? That something that leaves no sign, no injury, nothing, is more damaging to women than seeing your best friend blown up by an IED is to a veteran?” she reportedly said.

“I was violently raped days before my 19th birthday. I was beaten half-unconscious,” she reportedly told the audience as she argued that a rape victim’s life wasn’t “destroyed”.

Maybe it was, and the evidence is now emerging.

“We haven’t been destroyed, we’ve been bloody annoyed, is what we’ve been. I reckon 200 hours of community service will do… would do me. I suggested a long time ago that maybe a little tattoo would be a good thing. Maybe an ‘R’ on your hand. I’d prefer it on your cheek."

Yeah....'Nazi/Jewish' like. This woman is demented.

The second-wave feminist targeted the legal treatment of those who bring rape allegations before a courtroom.

“This is a mess, it’s a big mess. And it’s getting us worse than nowhere. Because it’s one thing to be raped, but it’s another thing to try to get the person who outraged you brought to justice and then be totally discredited," she said. “That humiliation must be even worse than rape.”

Anyone know what that means?

“We are told it’s one of the most violent crimes in the world… Bullshit. Most rape is just lazy, just careless, just insensitive,” she was quoted to have said.

Hmmmmm.

“Every time a man rolls over on his exhausted wife and insists on enjoying his conjugal right, he is raping her. It will never end up in a court of law.

Correct, I suspect.

“Instead of thinking of rape as a spectacularly violent crime – and some rapes are – think about it as non-consensual, that is, bad sex. Sex where there is no communication, no tenderness, no mention of love. We used to talk about lovemaking.”

Oh, yeah. How do you get to that sort of absurdity? Some bloke sexually assaults a woman....and it is merely 'bad sex?' Absurd. Ignore this headline seeking wanker geriatric, Mothra.

Ms Greer is publishing her full argument on rape in a new book, due out in Australia in September.

Her comments have sparked outrage, with social media users expressing "horror and rage".

"Can't really begin to express the horror and rage I feel about Germaine Greer's remarks about rape," Buzzfeed editor Patrick Strudwick Tweeted. "How on Earth could an academic be so f***ing ignorant about the psychology of trauma? It's Trumpian."

"I call for Germaine Greer to stop calling herself a feminist. Because she very clearly isn't," English history professor Tanja Bueltmann wrote.

Australian TV personality Lisa Wilkinson said,"it's time for Germaine Greer to shut up".

Don't buy the crap book. Simple.

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Aussie » 31 May 2018, 20:48

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Growing old disgracefully and relishing the attention I’d say.

sounds like aussie

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:up

*What would we have done if Annie Laurie had her way with Mickey?*
Aussie

Postby mothra » 31 May 2018, 20:54

Aussie wrote:

Interesting, if correct.

They're bullshit statistics. Totally wrong and completely ignorant of the diagnostic criteria for PTSD.

In any event, an easy counter would be that soldiers are trained.
mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 31 May 2018, 21:03

mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Interesting, if correct.

They're bullshit statistics. Totally wrong and completely ignorant of the diagnostic criteria for PTSD.

Ya know....that's a weird thing Baby Boomers like me will never understand.

My Old Man was a WW2 Vet. Active service at Bougainville. Was right beside his mate, and said mate was head shot, dead. He was sparse on his tales.....but......he was shot at. He was bombarded with artillery.

Never an issue, until very late in his life when he moved out of the big bed and into another bedroom. I asked him why. His response was that he then was regressing into unarmed combat nightmares, and was terrified he might attack my Mother while in that state.

He never, ever laid a finger on her.

Weird thing, and he was a very successful bloke, always.
Aussie

Postby mothra » 31 May 2018, 23:00

Aussie wrote:

My Old Man was a WW2 Vet. Active service at Bougainville. Was right beside his mate, and said mate was head shot, dead. He was sparse on his tales.....but......he was shot at. He was bombarded with artillery.

Never an issue, until very late in his life when he moved out of the big bed and into another bedroom. I asked him why. His response was that he then was regressing into unarmed combat nightmares, and was terrified he might attack my Mother while in that state.

That's a symptom of PTSD, your old man's nightmares.

People with PTSD can be very high functioning. Some barely manage. It's not a simple thing.

Did you ever watch Peaky Blinders? An excellent study into how what was then called shell shock effected different people immediately following WW. Nobody that went came back all the way okay.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 31 May 2018, 23:45

Aussie wrote:
mothra wrote:Germaine Greer: 'Most rape is just bad sex'

Interesting, if correct.

Maybe it was, and the evidence is now emerging.

Yeah....'Nazi/Jewish' like. This woman is demented.

Anyone know what that means?

Hmmmmm.

Correct, I suspect.

Oh, yeah. How do you get to that sort of absurdity? Some bloke sexually assaults a woman....and it is merely 'bad sex?' Absurd. Ignore this headline seeking wanker geriatric, Mothra.

Don't buy the crap book. Simple.

I agree with your comments Aussie, in general.
. I think she has lost the plot completely...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 31 May 2018, 23:58

PTSD?
I seem to have missed that. Get back to you.

.… yeah that is a bizarre thing to say for sure.

Sad end for her it seems. As for L Wilkinson, she isn't appealing either. At least , not to me. Don't know why... I don't like her.
Don't have any time for C Bitmore either. More ignorant than it would seem possible... she could actually makes me 'cringe'. :stop

Her brain is a logic-free zone. But hey that goes for the other pillocks on popular TV, as well. :roll . Good grief.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Jun 2018, 13:55

mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Interesting, if correct.

Doesn't mean all rape victims got left in parks to die but does it!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Jun 2018, 13:57

Aussie wrote:
mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Interesting, if correct.

When I quit drinking you were hanging out with vietnam veterans: they never said anything ever but some people couldn't help but shake... oh wait, some guy said something!

Nice guy!!

He reckoned the really clever thing was quantum mechanics!!!

Nice guy!!!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 01 Jun 2018, 14:21

One of the things I’ve come to learn (thanks mothra) is that trying to rationalise bad behaviour and grey- area it simply detracts from the actual evil of the act.

In this case, it’s either non consensual or not. If it’s a grey area then it’s not consensual, is my view.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby MilesAway » 01 Jun 2018, 15:02

CaesarAugustus wrote:One of the things I’ve come to learn (thanks mothra) is that trying to rationalise bad behaviour and grey- area it simply detracts from the actual evil of the act.

In this case, it’s either non consensual or not. If it’s a grey area then it’s not consensual, is my view.

True, verging on the side of playing it safe is warranted but then why don't cops turn up to domestic violence disputes?

...because some women are simply fucked in the head is why! They hang out with other fucked in the head women and drink metho and play endless games until no one can sleep in the family home.... or am i just making shite up?

There aren't enough cops in the world to deal with the endless drama of princesses who think they can sleep with the endless scum of the earth and then make a call for help when her feelings got hurt: your taxes could not pay for it!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 01 Jun 2018, 15:52

MilesAway wrote:.... or am i just making shite up?

Yes. Yes you are.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 01 Jun 2018, 15:59

...yet most domestic disputes are not attented to!

So why is that if I'm so full of it?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 01 Jun 2018, 16:24

MilesAway wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:One of the things I’ve come to learn (thanks mothra) is that trying to rationalise bad behaviour and grey- area it simply detracts from the actual evil of the act.

True, verging on the side of playing it safe is warranted but then why don't cops turn up to domestic violence disputes?

...because some women are simply fucked in the head is why! They hang out with other fucked in the head women and drink metho and play endless games until no one can sleep in the family home.... or am i just making shite up?

There aren't enough cops in the world to deal with the endless drama of princesses who think they can sleep with the endless scum of the earth and then make a call for help when her feelings got hurt: your taxes could not pay for it!

You seriously can’t believe what you’ve just said!
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jun 2018, 16:57

CaesarAugustus wrote:You seriously can’t believe what you’ve just said!

i worry about the sort of people he hangs around with if that's his experience
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 01 Jun 2018, 18:20

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:You seriously can’t believe what you’ve just said!

i worry about the sort of people he hangs around with if that's his experience

It’s like those domestic violence ads you see: “she pissed me off so I hit her.” There are actually a lot of guys out there who think that ‘slapping the sheila around a bit’ is ok.

And they’re not Muslims. Although the islamophobes would have us believe that every Muslim man is a wife beater.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jun 2018, 18:37

CaesarAugustus wrote:There are actually a lot of guys out there who think that ‘slapping the sheila around a bit’ is ok.

you mean it's not? :b

(I suspect things are going to heat up here) :hot
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 01 Jun 2018, 21:29

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:There are actually a lot of guys out there who think that ‘slapping the sheila around a bit’ is ok.

Of course it's not OK.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jun 2018, 21:33

CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Of course it's not OK.

what about the other way around? my wife hits me all the time .... I encourage it.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 01 Jun 2018, 23:12

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Of course it's not OK.

what about the other way around? my wife hits me all the time .... I encourage it.

Well, there are incidents where the woman is the perpetrator of domestic violence. They are a minority of cases.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Next

Return to Off Topic