Roseanne the racist

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Roseanne the racist

Postby mothra » 30 May 2018, 14:53

Roseanne cancelled: Network Ten and America's ABC condemn Barr's racist tweet

Australia's Network Ten has removed the now-cancelled US television comedy Roseanne from its channels and condemned a racist tweet by star Roseanne Barr.

"Network Ten is appalled and disgusted with Ms Barr's racist tweet and has removed Roseanne from TEN and ELEVEN, effective immediately," Ten said in a statement.

America's ABC network has cancelled the new series of Roseanne after Ms Barr compared a former Obama administration official to an ape in remarks on Twitter.

The show, a revival of the 1990s hit Roseanne, was ABC's most widely watched show for the TV season that ended last week, drawing more than 18 million viewers on average each week.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement.

Disney chief executive Bob Iger added on Twitter: "There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing."

In a deleted tweet, Barr compared former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to an ape, saying it was like the "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby."

Barr, 65, apologised "for making a bad joke" about Ms Jarrett, who is black and was born in Iran to American parents.

Emma Kenney, who plays Sara Gilbert's on-screen daughter in the show, said she was calling her manager to quit working on Roseanne when she was told it was cancelled.

Kenney said she felt "empowered" by anyone standing up for morals and abuse of power.

Michael Fishman, who returned as character DJ Conner in the Roseanne revival, said today was "one of the hardest" in his life.

"I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes," Fishman said.

"The words of one person do not exemplify the thinking of all involved."

One of Rosanne's consulting producers, Wanda Skyes, also said she would not be returning to the show.

Ms Jarrett said ABC had made the right decision in cancelling the show.

"First of all, I think we have to turn it into a teaching moment," she said on MSNBC.

"I'm fine. I'm worried about all the people out there who don't have a circle of friends and followers coming to their defence."

Barr was also dumped by her talent agency, ICM Partners.

Roseanne was ABC's biggest hit of the 2017-2018 season.

The show drew an average of 18.7 million viewers, second only to CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory, according to Nielsen data through May 20.

Roseanne earned an estimated $US45 million ($60 million) in advertising revenue for ABC through its nine episodes that started airing in March, according to Kantar Media.

The firm estimates that the 13 episodes that had been ordered for next season would have brought in as much as $US60 million ($80 million), with more through repeat episodes.

The fallout from the show's cancellation also hit its lucrative syndication market as Viacom said it would pull reruns of the original 1990s episodes from its cable networks. Another cable network, Laff, also said it was removing reruns of the show.

The original Roseanne aired from 1988 to 1997. It featured a blue-collar family, the Conners, with overweight parents struggling to get by and was praised for its realistic portrayal of working-class life.

President Donald Trump has latched onto the show's huge viewership as evidence that his supporters, which include Barr, want shows that speak to their concerns.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-30/american-network-abc-cancels-roseanne-after-racist-tweet/9814474
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Roseanne the racist

Postby johnsmith » 30 May 2018, 15:07

I used to like Roseanne. She used to be funny. Now she's just a try hard who's lost my support.

I don't get how someone who spent most of her life looking like jabba the hut can comment about someone else's looks.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 30 May 2018, 15:12

johnsmith wrote:I used to like Roseanne. She used to be funny. Now she's just a try hard who's lost my support.

Same. I'm a huge fan of the original series. Well, the early stuff anyway. She used to seem to stand for something.

Fuck knows what she is now though. A true deplorable.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 30 May 2018, 16:58

I truly ask if she made the comment to get canned on behalf of the diginity of the rest of the cast: it was never going to be worth watching and I saw about not even 5 minutes and cringed for everyone involved!

She's not cryptic, she's just a very strange woman!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 30 May 2018, 23:01

MilesAway wrote:
She's not cryptic, she's just a very strange woman!

I read earlier that her family took her social media away when she was resigned .. she's only just gone back to it with the success of the series.

I saw the episode in which she thought her Muslim neighbours were terrorists and promptly gave up in disgust.

I really tried to give her the benefit of the doubt.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2018, 00:05

to be fair to her, she did later tweet to her fans that it was her own stupid fault, that what she posted was very wrong, and that her fans weren't to blame the ABC (american) as they had no choice but to can her

at least she stepped up and took responsibility. Not something you often see in racists
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 31 May 2018, 12:00

johnsmith wrote:to be fair to her, she did later tweet to her fans that it was her own stupid fault, that what she posted was very wrong, and that her fans weren't to blame the ABC (american) as they had no choice but to can her

at least she stepped up and took responsibility. Not something you often see in racists

And yet today she's taken to twitter again to tell off her cast mates who distanced themselves from her comments.

She's a racist whackadoodle.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2018, 13:09

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:to be fair to her, she did later tweet to her fans that it was her own stupid fault, that what she posted was very wrong, and that her fans weren't to blame the ABC (american) as they had no choice but to can her

And yet today she's taken to twitter again to tell off her cast mates who distanced themselves from her comments.

She's a racist whackadoodle.

I don't think even she can keep up with her position :roll :roll :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Auggie » 31 May 2018, 14:31

That society punishes those who make such comments indicates how far we’ve come as a society.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby MilesAway » 31 May 2018, 15:51

CaesarAugustus wrote:That society punishes those who make such comments indicates how far we’ve come as a society.

Not really,... how much multiculturalism was being practiced back in your hypothetical period of reference?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 31 May 2018, 18:12

MilesAway wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:That society punishes those who make such comments indicates how far we’ve come as a society.

Not really,... how much multiculturalism was being practiced back in your hypothetical period of reference?

It has not much to do with multiculturalism but with our attitudes toward different races and cultures, and how we treat those who have a negative attitude. If you want to talk about multiculturalism, the British empire was very multicultural but there was a prevailing view that the English stock were superior. Their attitudes back then were different. If an Anglo white man in a high position made a racist joke, no way in hell he would’ve lost his job or position; in fact he would’ve been praised.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby MilesAway » 02 Jun 2018, 19:22

CaesarAugustus wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

It has not much to do with multiculturalism but with our attitudes toward different races and cultures, and how we treat those who have a negative attitude. If you want to talk about multiculturalism, the British empire was very multicultural but there was a prevailing view that the English stock were superior. Their attitudes back then were different. If an Anglo white man in a high position made a racist joke, no way in hell he would’ve lost his job or position; in fact he would’ve been praised.

So, dickf***, how do you propose to police attitude?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 02 Jun 2018, 19:26

MilesAway wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

So, dickf***, how do you propose to police attitude?

by calling them dickface.... you think that'll work?
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Return to Off Topic