Australian women living in 'fear and vigilance' due to stree

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Australian women living in 'fear and vigilance' due to stree

Postby mothra » 22 May 2018, 14:05

Australian women living in 'fear and vigilance' due to street harassment
Survey finds a quarter of women in Sydney harassed on the street once a month or more

More than three decades since Australia introduced the Sex Discrimination Act, women are still living in “a climate of fear and vigilance”, gender researcher professor Catharine Lumby has said.

Her comments follow the release of a report on Tuesday by the development and humanitarian organisation Plan International that found one-quarter of women surveyed in Sydney said they were harassed on the street once a month or more, while 69% said they sometimes or always avoided going out at night out of concern for their safety.

Plan commissioned the research agency Ipsos to survey 500 women aged 18 to 25 from across metropolitan Sydney and ask them about their perceptions of safety and personal experiences of street harassment.

Four out of five respondents said they first experienced street harassment when they were under 18. More than one-third were first harassed between the ages of 11 and 15. And one in three of those harassed once a month or more reported experiencing anxiety, depression or ongoing mental health issues as a direct result.

“Young women are very much the targets of sexualised comments, unwanted touching and intimidation,” said Lumby, who has been researching women’s experiences of safety and harassment. “Men often do it in groups, a common and cowardly form of harassment which is as dangerous as it is intimidating when a woman is walking along or on a bicycle and men in a car driving past call out to her or startle her.

“It’s physically dangerous as it may scare her and distract her attention from the footpath or the road. It’s pervasive and there is a real impact on a woman’s sense of safety.”

The Plan report also found 90% of girls sometimes or always felt unsafe in Sydney after dark and 16% felt this way all the time. Of those who said they had experienced street harassment, 57% said it usually happened at night. Women were particularly fearful on public transport. Almost half – 46% – said they felt unsafe using Sydney’s public transport alone.

“They’ve reported experiences such as having men expose themselves and leer at them on quiet daytime trains, being groped, being brushed up against inappropriately during peak hour and men whispering inappropriate comments in their ears,” the report said.

The report found 12% of young women completely avoided going out at night in Sydney because they did not believe it was safe. Lumby said she was not surprised.

“We haven’t got our act together as a society to allow women the basic human right to feel safe in public,” she said. “When you ask a room full of men about everything they do daily to avoid being sexually assaulted they will stare at you in disbelief. If you ask a room full of women, each one will be able to rattle of a list of at least 10 things they have done to avoid harassment and to stay safe, like taking a taxi instead of walking home alone on a nice night, or walking to their car or to the train with their car keys clutched between their fingers [ready to use as a weapon if they are attacked].”

lan found that women felt unsafe even in taxis or on public transport at night instead of walking home alone. Of survey respondents, 92% said they felt unsafe on public transport at night, which is almost on par with reports from women in developing cities such as Delhi and Lima. Slightly fewer – 81% – felt unsafe using taxis and ride sharing services alone at night.

One of the survey respondents, 16-year-old Milly, told researchers that she was in year 4 the first time she was catcalled.

“I was walking home after ballet practice, only a few streets away from home, when a car with P-plates slowed down next to me,” she said. “In it was a group of men who started honking, wolf-whistling and shouting comments I didn’t understand. I was alone and terrified and ran the rest of the way home. Still I am scared to walk the streets of Sydney.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/22/australian-women-living-in-fear-and-vigilance-due-to-street-harassment?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Australian women living in 'fear and vigilance' due to s

Postby MilesAway » 22 May 2018, 15:52

Should all men hang themselves?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 23 May 2018, 03:20

MilesAway wrote:Should all men hang themselves?

Why the hostility?

This report sounds about right to me. I NEVER go out at night.

I have a huge dog, that I walk around my block. That is fine.. it is familiar and the people see me regularly.

THERE IS an absolutely magnificent forest reserve up the road, with escarpments caves etc,, great walking tracks. I never go there, as I feel very vulnerable alone, even in my quiet neighbourhood.

It IS a fact of life for most, if not all, women, whatever their age. I was 13, walking home from school, when I too was forced to deal with yobbos in a car, calling out to me. I was scared, but I didn't know why. NOW I know why.

SO ..it's all very well for MilesAway to make his idiot remark, but all that does is show the general ignorance of the men out there. AND, that they don't care.

Personal experience has taught us all, what a unpredictable threat men are.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 23 May 2018, 10:22

pinkeye wrote:It IS a fact of life for most, if not all, women, whatever their age. I was 13, walking home from school, when I too was forced to deal with yobbos in a car, calling out to me. I was scared, but I didn't know why. NOW I know why.

Same. I remember being 12 walking down Rundle Mall, being followed by a group of men in suits talking in lurid detail about what they wanted to do to me. I was terrified.

My daughter, also 12, asked me why those men in the video shop were following her around talking about "tapping" her.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 23 May 2018, 11:15

I think you'll find a lot if 12 or 13 yr old boys feel frightened too when a car full of yobbos yells something out the car. At that age, wondering out into the wider world can be a daunting prospect, regardless of your sex
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2018, 13:30

More for girls tho.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 23 May 2018, 14:09

pinkeye wrote:
MilesAway wrote:Should all men hang themselves?

Why the hostility?

This report sounds about right to me. I NEVER go out at night.

I have a huge dog, that I walk around my block. That is fine.. it is familiar and the people see me regularly.

THERE IS an absolutely magnificent forest reserve up the road, with escarpments caves etc,, great walking tracks. I never go there, as I feel very vulnerable alone, even in my quiet neighbourhood.

It IS a fact of life for most, if not all, women, whatever their age. I was 13, walking home from school, when I too was forced to deal with yobbos in a car, calling out to me. I was scared, but I didn't know why. NOW I know why.

SO ..it's all very well for MilesAway to make his idiot remark, but all that does is show the general ignorance of the men out there. AND, that they don't care.

Personal experience has taught us all, what a unpredictable threat men are.

You ask me, "...why the hostility?", yet it is you blaming men for everything!

You never stop because you're insane!

We all have family and the women do not have ultra clean noses!!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 23 May 2018, 14:12

HBS Guy wrote:More for girls tho.

Indeed. It's the variable of sexual predation. Often, if a man has had an experience when he is younger with that feeling you get when you are being sexually predated upon, they tend to understand what girls and women are saying.

Often men express awareness of that energy of sexual predation by being utterly neurotic about their daughters, thus contributing to the burden placed on women by men. This indeed manifests abundantly through the great fathers of us all, religion and the law.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 23 May 2018, 14:12

mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:It IS a fact of life for most, if not all, women, whatever their age. I was 13, walking home from school, when I too was forced to deal with yobbos in a car, calling out to me. I was scared, but I didn't know why. NOW I know why.

Same. I remember being 12 walking down Rundle Mall, being followed by a group of men in suits talking in lurid detail about what they wanted to do to me. I was terrified.

My daughter, also 12, asked me why those men in the video shop were following her around talking about "tapping" her.

lol, I responded to pinkeye as if it was you,... and then you go same...!

Like wtf are you women on??

Yay, we all know of course so don't bother trying to answer that question!

The modern woman hay :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 23 May 2018, 14:14

Yay, because we should be hanged because there are some criminals out there!

Good point hbs guy: you should run for government on that ticket!

:roll
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 23 May 2018, 14:15

mothra wrote:

Indeed. It's the variable of sexual predation. Often, if a man has had an experience when he is younger with that feeling you get when you are being sexually predated upon, they tend to understand what girls and women are saying.

Often men express awareness of that energy of sexual predation by being utterly neurotic about their daughters, thus contributing to the burden placed on women by men. This indeed manifests abundantly through the great fathers of us all, religion and the law.

Yay, have you got books out yet or wtf???
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2018, 14:27

mothra wrote:

Fortunately never been predated on, doesn’t take a genius to figure that out tho.

Mothers too would be cautioning their daugheters. Bit unfair to put all that on men.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 23 May 2018, 14:33

HBS Guy wrote:Fortunately never been predated on, doesn’t take a genius to figure that out tho.

Mothers too would be cautioning their daugheters. Bit unfair to put all that on men.

It shouldn't take a genius, but here we are.

And i didn't mean to put it all on men, more on religion and law. I'm well aware of some frightening mummy dearests.

Mothers seem to be better at screwing up their sons though.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 23 May 2018, 14:52

mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Fortunately never been predated on, doesn’t take a genius to figure that out tho.

It shouldn't take a genius, but here we are.

And i didn't mean to put it all on men, more on religion and law. I'm well aware of some frightening mummy dearests.

Mothers seem to be better at screwing up their sons though.

Women are fucked :bike :bike
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 23 May 2018, 22:09

yep Hostile to the nth degree. Funny how it's easy to tell. Nowhere did I say ALL men. NOPE.

The thing about rape, sexual assault, gang-rape molestation etc etc etc ... is that in the hugest percentage of times, MALES are the perpetrators. Often young boys are victims too.

You ought to mad at those slimeballs, not at women, or girls.

You should really apologise for being such an arsehole, but I suspect you have some serious issues of your own which you should address. I'd never expect an apology from you.
:h
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 24 May 2018, 12:31

I implore you to read this. This is what i'm trying to say said much better than i fear i have managed:

Age and innocence didn't matter

I was 13 when I was cat-called for the first time. Walking home from school, a man at least twice my age called out to me, “Hey darling! Nice tits!”
It’s hard to describe the effect of those words on a girl barely out of primary school. My innocence and age no longer mattered; with the arrival of my breasts, I was no longer a child. I was fair game.

That was the start of a journey every woman takes at some point when travelling by herself. That was the start of slipping my keys between my knuckles and avoiding eye contact with men. That was the first time I realised that even in broad daylight walking down my own street, I wasn’t safe.

There’s nothing in your childhood that prepares you for that crushing feeling of being objectified for the first time. There’s no doll on the shelves labelled "Barbie’s first buttgrab".

A survey by Plan International Australia has found that one in three women aged 18-25 who are harassed on the street more than once a month have experienced anxiety or depression as a result. And one in three women surveyed reported that their first instance of street harassment occurred between the ages of 11 and 15. My initial reaction when hearing this, along with that of most other girls I’ve shared it with, was, “Well, of course”.

There’s something wrong with this reaction. Vile comments and wolf whistles should not be so common that they are a rite of passage in becoming a woman.

The #MeToo movement has had a monumental impact in exposing the prevalence of sexual harassment in the workplace, but the obscene gestures and comments on women’s bodies by men on the street can also be damaging - and it’s far more frequent. When women are harassed at work by someone they know, they at least have the option to report. When it’s a stranger in a passing car, that option doesn’t exist.

I’m 16 now, and I, along with thousands of other girls with similar experiences, still feel the effect of that remark and others like it on the way I present myself. I wear baggy tops and walk faster because if I don’t, if I walk confidently and wear clothes that I look good in, then I’m “asking for it” - the actions of a stranger are somehow my fault because I have the audacity to feel good about my body.

Cat-calling is not a compliment. It’s not “boys being boys” or something I “just have to deal with”. It’s sexual harassment, plain and simple. And it has to stop.

Grace Carey is a Sydney high school student. Her mother works at the Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/age-and-innocence-didn-t-matter-20180522-p4zgpd.html
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2018, 12:46

Yeah, it is harassment.

Not by grown up, mature self–confident men though.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 24 May 2018, 12:52

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, it is harassment.

Of course not. Most guys don't behave like this and respect and show respect for women. But there is a strong culture of harassment that we all need to stand up against.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 24 May 2018, 15:06

pinkeye wrote:yep Hostile to the nth degree. Funny how it's easy to tell. Nowhere did I say ALL men. NOPE.

The thing about rape, sexual assault, gang-rape molestation etc etc etc ... is that in the hugest percentage of times, MALES are the perpetrators. Often young boys are victims too.

You should really apologise for being such an arsehole, but I suspect you have some serious issues of your own which you should address. I'd never expect an apology from you.

No, you just implied all men by being a spiteful cunt full of sin as we all know very very very very well because we all have women-folk in the family! :clap

******* GO FEMINISM :c
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 24 May 2018, 15:10

mothra wrote:

Of course not. Most guys don't behave like this and respect and show respect for women. But there is a strong culture of harassment that we all need to stand up against.

You forgot that there is also a strong culture of good men looking after women that slept/(and maybe even continue to sleep) with criminals after it all goes/(or even continues to go) pear-shaped!

See, mothra: you forgot to tell the majority of modern life :buddy

Why would you do that?

****ARE YOU A FMEINIST WHO IS A LITTLE FUCKED IN THE HEAD PERHAPS?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 24 May 2018, 23:46

MilesAway wrote:
mothra wrote:

You forgot that there is also a strong culture of good men looking after women that slept/(and maybe even continue to sleep) with criminals after it all goes/(or even continues to go) pear-shaped!

Why would you do that?

(deleted)

What does your rant say about you MilesAway ? :jump
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 26 May 2018, 15:07

pinkeye wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
mothra wrote:

Why would you do that?

(deleted)

What does your rant say about you MilesAway ? :jump

Are you a professional at something or just pretending your stupidity needs something to be done?

:tweed
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 26 May 2018, 22:51

I'm sure you are trying to make a point here.
Pity you can't better manage your posts.

I'm professionally retired. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 May 2018, 19:59

pinkeye wrote:yep Hostile to the nth degree. Funny how it's easy to tell. Nowhere did I say ALL men. NOPE.

We've all got family mate!

...and good men are there!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 27 May 2018, 22:02

Speak for yourself..

Just like that grandfather who murdered his entire family, recently in WA. All the TV coverage had friends and neighbours saying he was a good bloke. Even surviving family members said so... but you know what??

NO GOOD BLOKE murders his family, then himself.

You're full of shit.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Next

Return to Off Topic