'Very angry badger'

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

'Very angry badger'

Postby mothra » 20 Apr 2018, 12:14

'Very angry badger' causes part of Scottish castle to be closed

Parts of a Scottish castle remain closed to the public after a “very angry badger” took up residence. The cellar tunnel at Craignethan Castle, in South Lanarkshire, was initially closed last week after the animal arrived, and remains closed while the damage it caused is repaired.

It is thought the animal had become lost, and staff tried to lure it out with cat food and honey.

Staff first noticed some dug-out earth last Wednesday evening, and later saw the culprit. The badger is said to have caused some mess, digging through loose soil into stonework, and staff have been clearing away the rubble.

On social media, people tried to give the castle better tips on shifting the animal – including luring it out with peanuts.

A spokesman for Historic Environment Scotland said: “We’ve had to temporarily close Craignethan Castle’s cellar tunnel due to an unexpected guest. The tunnel was closed around midday on 12 April. The castle is surrounded by woodland and we believe the badger may have become lost. Staff have been in contact with local wildlife authorities.”

Workers confirmed that the animal vacated the tunnel at the weekend, but that owing to damage to stone masonry, visitors are still being kept out of the tunnel a week later.

The castle was built in the early part of the 16th century by Sir James Hamilton of Finnart. It features a caponier – an enclosed tunnel with gunports overlooking the ditch – which is rare in the British Isles, and in its heyday hosted James V and his daughter Mary, Queen of Scots.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/19/very-angry-badger-causes-part-of-scottish-castle-to-be-closed-to-public?CMP=fb_gu
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: 'Very angry badger'

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2018, 14:34

nothing a .22 won't fix
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 20 Apr 2018, 23:24

johnsmith wrote:nothing a .22 won't fix

Oh boo hoo JS, that makes me sad.

You know, I remember when I was a kid in NZ, we had hedgehogs. :wub So cute. And usually found squashed on the road.

Imported yeah, a disaster no... they were so gorgeous... I suppose they still survive there.. I hope so.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 09:05

Yeah but then you wouldn't have a very angry badger in your castle ... and i think that's worth something.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 09:13

pinkeye wrote:

You know, I remember when I was a kid in NZ, we had hedgehogs. :wub So cute. And usually found squashed on the road.

Imported yeah, a disaster no... they were so gorgeous... I suppose they still survive there.. I hope so.

took the kids for a drive to Murwillumbah last weekend. As we were driving over Tomewin mountain (I'm not sure if that is the actual name of mountain but as it passes through tomewin I'm running with it) we saw our first ever wild Hedgehog ... tiny little thing. walking along the grass .... so cute

kids weren't game enough to pick him up
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 09:13

mothra wrote:

Yeah but then you wouldn't have a very angry badger in your castle ...

exactly :c
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 09:15

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

I think more castles should have angry badgers in them. Badgers are awesome. Being very angry could only improve one.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 09:19

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

I think more castles should have angry badgers in them. Badgers are awesome. Being very angry could only improve one.

i like animals just as much as the next guy, just not in my abode. I won't sleep in there tree, they don't sleep in my house
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 09:25

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

i like animals just as much as the next guy, just not in my abode. I won't sleep in there tree, they don't sleep in my house

c - a - s - t - l - e.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 09:31

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

c - a - s - t - l - e.

it's still someones abode. :read
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 09:49

johnsmith wrote:it's still someones abode. :read

Dunno if anyone lives there or not but if they do, they get to tell their mates in the pub that they shack up with a very angry badger. That's pretty good cred points.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 09:58

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:it's still someones abode. :read

Dunno if anyone lives there or not but if they do, they get to tell their mates in the pub that they shack up with a very angry badger. That's pretty good cred points.

not as good as if they could tell their mates they shacked up with Katie Leung ...now that's a good looking badger :clap :clap
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 10:25

johnsmith wrote:

not as good as if they could tell their mates they shacked up with Katie Leung ...now that's a good looking badger :clap :clap

You wanna keep Cho Chang locked in a castle?

Seriously, dude.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 10:27

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Seriously, dude.

who said anything about locking her up .....

although pink fluffy handcuffs might come in handy :bgrin :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 10:38

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Seriously, dude.

When people start getting leery on the Harry Potter kids ... i feel all icky.

And old. I feel old too.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 11:19

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Seriously, dude.

When people start getting leery on the Harry Potter kids ... i feel all icky.

And old. I feel old too.

she ain't a kid anymore ... hasn't been for a long time

although now that you said that i feel like a dirty old man ................ love it :rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2018, 11:36

Not much of a castle if a badger could break in!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2018, 22:32

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

took the kids for a drive to Murwillumbah last weekend. As we were driving over Tomewin mountain (I'm not sure if that is the actual name of mountain but as it passes through tomewin I'm running with it) we saw our first ever wild Hedgehog ... tiny little thing. walking along the grass .... so cute

kids weren't game enough to pick him up

Seriously.? Not an Echidna?

Hey you should report that sighting to your local environment mob.!! I've never heard of hedgehogs in Australia.

Please report that sighting.!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 22:51

pinkeye wrote:
Seriously.? Not an Echidna?

sorry, my mistake. I got carried away ... it was an Echidna
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2018, 23:14

:roll
I'm glad. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 22 Apr 2018, 21:31

Our old car was a 1963 Dtsun Bluebird station wagon with a Datsun 100 engine in it and no suspension... so it was heavy as fuck but hugely underpowered,

Anyway, we were cruising around Kangaroo Island and if you've been there you'll know it's mostly corrugated roads, and we were approaching a large hill so it was speed the fuck up time. So i did so, rattling all over the place and just then .. at the very start of the hill ... echidna. Moving very slowly. I mentioned the shit brakes, yeah?

Anyway. Full stop .. eventually and we were treated to a very close up view of an echidna crossing.

Needed to take that damn hill in first.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Apr 2018, 21:39

I drove a Datsun 1100 for a while.

Really did keep going no matter what.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 22 Apr 2018, 21:45

HBS Guy wrote:I drove a Datsun 1100 for a while.

Really did keep going no matter what.

A friend of mine is a cop. He watched an instructional video on how to stop a car. In it, a Datsun 120y was so shot full of holes it was on fire ... and still going.

Couldn't kill them with a stick.

Our girl looked like this:

mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 22 Apr 2018, 23:53

wow what a beauty.

I had an old 1966 Toyota Corona ..column manual... my first car. :wub . Indestructible...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 23 Apr 2018, 00:22

pinkeye wrote:wow what a beauty.

I had an old 1966 Toyota Corona ..column manual... my first car. :wub . Indestructible...

She was wonderful. We spent all our money fitting her out for my daughter ... this car, older than either of us.

So good for camping. She spent a great deal of time in first and second gear ... and we couldn't travel without water .. but we loved her so.
mothra
Duck

Next

Return to Off Topic