The generation gap is back – but not as we know it

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: The generation gap is back – but not as we know it

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 12:29

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:Interesting points of view. I wonder though if the new generation are becoming more and more insular due to their comfort. They haven’t struggled like the older generations have, and this may be creating values and beliefs which may not be helpful for them.

For example, I think that we should be instilling order, discipline, respect for the elderly and responsibility in our children. Many young people have a bad attitude to life and that comes from a sense of entitlement, I think.

I look at my grandparents who have been married for more than 70 years and still going strong. How can I not respect nor admire that?? It wasn’t only love that kept them together together but an overwhelming sense of ‘commitment’ - something we’ve lost today.

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

~ Socrates

So, I guess it comes down to a matter to the generation and the values and beliefs of the preceding generation. It’s all relative, I suppose.

most people remember the good stuff, and forget the crappy stuff.... when a 70 yr old reminisces about his life as a youngster they often glorify it

also, you might not see yourself in the same light as for example the old man next door (imagine someone like Herb). You see yourself and a nice respectful kid who likes to muck around occasionally, he might see you as the pain in the arse kid always making noise on your bike or scooter, from next door.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby Auggie » 21 Apr 2018, 12:36

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:Interesting points of view. I wonder though if the new generation are becoming more and more insular due to their comfort. They haven’t struggled like the older generations have, and this may be creating values and beliefs which may not be helpful for them.

For example, I think that we should be instilling order, discipline, respect for the elderly and responsibility in our children. Many young people have a bad attitude to life and that comes from a sense of entitlement, I think.

I look at my grandparents who have been married for more than 70 years and still going strong. How can I not respect nor admire that?? It wasn’t only love that kept them together together but an overwhelming sense of ‘commitment’ - something we’ve lost today.

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

~ Socrates

So, I guess it comes down to a matter to the generation and the values and beliefs of the preceding generation. It’s all relative, I suppose.

most people remember the good stuff, and forget the crappy stuff.... when a 70 yr old reminisces about his life as a youngster they often glorify it

also, you might not see yourself in the same light as for example the old man next door (imagine someone like Herb). You see yourself and a nice respectful kid who likes to muck around occasionally, he might see you as the pain in the arse kid always making noise on your bike or scooter, from next door.

If I rode a bike or scooter yes.

But I know what you’re saying.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Dax » 21 Apr 2018, 12:46

pinkeye wrote:
Dax wrote:There's always been a gender gap, that's evolution in action and the one today, is no different to the past. It's like most things in life, everyone thinks they have discovered something new for humanity, when it's just a repeat of the past. All that's different is the living conditions, educational standards and technology.

When you look around and find 95% of the young are locked to their phones and even older people, especially women are locked to them no wonder some are thinking the gender gap is new.

Sorry to interrupt those adorable family stories.....but I'm feeling devilish tonight. :bgrin

DAX.... no-one else has seen fit to advise you, so I will. This isn't about the GENDER GAP.

:bgrin

My post is about the generation gap, just a mis spelt word and that's clearly obvious.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Previous

Return to Off Topic