Cockroach Milk

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Cockroach Milk

Postby mothra » 09 Apr 2018, 18:02

Scientists Think Cockroach Milk Could Be The Next Superfood, And We Wish We Were Kidding
Move over kale.

An international team of scientists sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of cockroaches in 2016. The reason?

It's more than four times as nutritious as cow's milk and the researchers think it could be the key to feeding our growing population in the future.

Although most cockroaches don't actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of 'milk' containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

The fact that an insect produces milk is pretty fascinating – but what fascinated researchers is the fact that a single one of these protein crystals contains more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of buffalo milk (which is also higher in calories than regular cow's milk).

Clearly milking a cockroach isn't the most feasible option, so an international team of scientists headed by researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab.

"The crystals are like a complete food - they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids," said Sanchari Banerjee, one of the team, in an interview with the Times of India back in 2016.

Not only is the milk a dense source of calories and nutrients, it's also time released.

As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystal releases more protein at an equivalent rate to continue the digestion.

"It's time-released food," said Subramanian Ramaswamy, who led the project.

"If you need food that is calorifically high, that is time released and food that is complete. This is it."

It's important to point out that this dense protein source is definitely never going to be for those trying to lose weight, and probably isn't even required for most western diets, where we are already eating too many calories per day.

But for those who struggle to get the amount of calories required per day, this could be a quick and easy way to get calories and nutrients.

"They're very stable. They can be a fantastic protein supplement," said Ramaswamy.

Now the researchers have the sequence, they are hoping to get yeast to produce the crystal in much larger quantities - making it slightly more efficient (and less gross) than extracting crystals from cockroach's guts.

Who needs kale and quinoa when you have cockroach milk supplements?

…Yeah, we aren't 100 percent convinced either. But if it helps alleviate the food shortages we'll have to deal with this generation, we'll take it.

The research was published in IUCrJ, the journal of the International Union of Crystallography.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-think-we-should-start-drinking-cockroach-milk-superfood
mothra
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Cockroach Milk

Postby johnsmith » 09 Apr 2018, 19:01

:b :b

If i tell me wife this story I'm betting she'll run straight to the toilet to spew .... watching her reaction to roaches is hillarious at the best of times, the thought of drinking roach milk will put her over the edge
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 09 Apr 2018, 19:24

johnsmith wrote::b :b

If i tell me wife this story I'm betting she'll run straight to the toilet to spew .... watching her reaction to roaches is hillarious at the best of times, the thought of drinking roach milk will put her over the edge

Save it up for a special occasion for full impact.
mothra
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Apr 2018, 13:22

You'd have to have a really, really small stool to be able to milk a cockroach :?

And tiny, tiny hands.

Maybe a job for Mr Trump.
greggerypeccary
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 11 Apr 2018, 23:32

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote::b :b

Save it up for a special occasion for full impact.

Umm that is ... um... um... cockroach milk? Oh dear. Jeez... I'm glad I'm over 60. :clap :giggle :sad

I didn't actually read your post Mothra. :nah :emb :gup

WE live in the last of the golden yrs of our civilisation.

One wonders what the future will hold. But then again, I spent years considering this, and hey Cockroach Milk sounds FAB. For our descendants.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 11:14

“For our descendants.” :rofl
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Apr 2018, 11:49

blah ... i still can't get used to skim milk and I've tried that on and off for the last 40+years ...it might be a while before i work myself up onto roach milk. After skim I have to ween myself onto lite, fat free, low fat, organic, unpasteurized, Hazelnut milk, soy milk, cocnut, A2 milk and long life.

I figure I'll be about another 350 yrs old before I get to roach milk. I can't wait :beer
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:16

Full cream unhomogenised Paris Creek milk for me!

Will have to find a source in Tassie for unhomogenised full cream milk.

The more milk is fucked with the less nutrient value it has.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 12 Apr 2018, 21:41

HBS Guy wrote:Full cream unhomogenised Paris Creek milk for me!

Will have to find a source in Tassie for unhomogenised full cream milk.

The more milk is fucked with the less nutrient value it has.

Love Paris Creek. Good to their baby boy calves too.
mothra
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Apr 2018, 22:09

Have drunk hardly any milk apart from Paris Creek for a very long time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic