TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2018, 00:09

Now I'm only starting this because no one else has. It stinks, doesn't it.?

Just been listening to the tears and regrets and I'm saying :WTF :WTF :WTF

What on this ever-loving earth let them think they'd get away with it.? I mean :WTF
These guys were obviously NOT engaged because they're smart. I mean :WTF :WTF

Go home and cry, BOYS, you are a disgrace.

NOTHING YOU SAY can change it. :WTF :WTF :WTF
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby mothra » 30 Mar 2018, 00:15

Pink, i've tried really hard to give a fuck about this.

I just can't seem to manage it.

I thought Michael Sandel made a really interesting point though ... that it's evoked such a strong response because sport, particularly cricket, it symbolic of fair play and to have that violated triggers very ingrained ideals.

Still can't manage to give a fuck though.

Good to see Australians actually can get angry about something though. Next step, channel it. I've got a list of things they can be ashamed about.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5554
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2018, 00:44

mothra wrote:Pink, i've tried really hard to give a fuck about this.

I just can't seem to manage it.

I thought Michael Sandel made a really interesting point though ... that it's evoked such a strong response because sport, particularly cricket, it symbolic of fair play and to have that violated triggers very ingrained ideals.

Still can't manage to give a fuck though.

Good to see Australians actually can get angry about something though. Next step, channel it. I've got a list of things they can be ashamed about.


Yeah well I don't watch cricket. Used to, but got better things to do with my time.

I am outraged though, because HOW could they be SO STUPID?. Is it some sort of arrogance that makes them think they're untouchable..? like the Harvey Weinsteins of the world.? It smacks to me of some unfounded belief in their own supremacy. :WTF

TYPICAL AUSSIE MALE, is what I'd describe them as. Do whatever you like, BUT you better not get caught. !!!
Fucking pathetic.
Interesting how much sympathy these poor boys have garnered on national TV. So compassionate it makes me want to PUKE.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2018, 00:46

It is symptomatic of a national psychosis. :beer
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2018, 03:48

When a sport becomes professional. . .it no longer is a sport but a business.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50037
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby johnsmith » 30 Mar 2018, 09:31

i read an interesting article about this a few days ago.

The gist of it was that this was going to come to a head, sooner or later, either with Australia or one of the other teams.

The problem is that over the years, ball tampering wasn't treated seriously or punished sufficiently by cricket officials.

here is a brief rundown of tampering incidents in the recent past


1990 Chris pringle - admitted to scratching a ball with a bottle top he kept in his pocket ... punishment? NIL

Michael Atherton, 1994 kept dirt in his pocket to rough the ball .... ICC did nothing (although English cricket fined him) ... he was allowed to continue playing

Waqar Younis . scratching ball with fingernails. Fined 50% of match fee.

Sachin Tendulkar, 2001 - cleaning the seam of the ball without notifying referee .....this one was in dispute, ICC revoked a one match ban

Shoaib Akhtar, 2003 - scratching the surface of the ball ... banned for two one day games

Rahul Dravid, 2004 applied a lozenge to the ball ... fined 50% of match fee

Stuart Broad, 2010 - stepped on ball with spikes ... no penalties

Shahid Afridi, 2010 - bit the ball twice, banned for two games



In most cases, penalties imposed were a joke. There has been up til now, very little incentive to not try it .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6909
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby Dax » 30 Mar 2018, 12:00

It's the generation of me, me, me, forget everything else until it hits you in the face. These young blokes are so far up themselves, they can't see logic or reason. That's why they are so up and down in their playing ability, totally introverted and self serving.

Don't watch cricket any more much myself, it no longer has the feel of being a genuine game. All it represents is money and wankers, pretty boring as well.

Have no sympathy for either Warner or Smith, but Bancroft, deserves a bit of sympathy as he was set up by Warner and Smith. Warner is normally in charge of ball handling, but because he is such a cowardly sleaze, he passed the buck to Bancroft. Hoping if something went wrong, he could avoid being involved. Warner is also the only one to not apologise as the others have.
User avatar
Dax
mountain lion
 
Posts: 674
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 12:15
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby Aussie » 30 Mar 2018, 17:46

Dax wrote:It's the generation of me, me, me, forget everything else until it hits you in the face. These young blokes are so far up themselves, they can't see logic or reason. That's why they are so up and down in their playing ability, totally introverted and self serving.

Don't watch cricket any more much myself, it no longer has the feel of being a genuine game. All it represents is money and wankers, pretty boring as well.

Have no sympathy for either Warner or Smith, but Bancroft, deserves a bit of sympathy as he was set up by Warner and Smith. Warner is normally in charge of ball handling, but because he is such a cowardly sleaze, he passed the buck to Bancroft. Hoping if something went wrong, he could avoid being involved. Warner is also the only one to not apologise as the others have.


I've played a bit of cricket at high levels, and am still in touch with all the blokes I played with and against. No-one is condoning what was done. But, this blubbering is just bullshit, and I prefer what Warner has done. "Yes, I was involved. I fucked up. /End"

Smith is just hoping he can protect his financial future by all this crap. CA is right to be quite worried what Warner might say at tomorrow's Press Conference.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 30 Mar 2018, 19:05

pinkeye wrote:
mothra wrote:Pink, i've tried really hard to give a fuck about this.

I just can't seem to manage it.

I thought Michael Sandel made a really interesting point though ... that it's evoked such a strong response because sport, particularly cricket, it symbolic of fair play and to have that violated triggers very ingrained ideals.

Still can't manage to give a fuck though.

Good to see Australians actually can get angry about something though. Next step, channel it. I've got a list of things they can be ashamed about.


Yeah well I don't watch cricket. Used to, but got better things to do with my time.

I am outraged though, because HOW could they be SO STUPID?. Is it some sort of arrogance that makes them think they're untouchable..? like the Harvey Weinsteins of the world.? It smacks to me of some unfounded belief in their own supremacy. :WTF

TYPICAL AUSSIE MALE, is what I'd describe them as. Do whatever you like, BUT you better not get caught. !!!
Fucking pathetic.
Interesting how much sympathy these poor boys have garnered on national TV. So compassionate it makes me want to PUKE.

Are you saying all men are pathetic?
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 30 Mar 2018, 19:06

pinkeye wrote:It is symptomatic of a national psychosis. :beer

You mean all men are pathetic?
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 30 Mar 2018, 19:10

Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:It's the generation of me, me, me, forget everything else until it hits you in the face. These young blokes are so far up themselves, they can't see logic or reason. That's why they are so up and down in their playing ability, totally introverted and self serving.

Don't watch cricket any more much myself, it no longer has the feel of being a genuine game. All it represents is money and wankers, pretty boring as well.

Have no sympathy for either Warner or Smith, but Bancroft, deserves a bit of sympathy as he was set up by Warner and Smith. Warner is normally in charge of ball handling, but because he is such a cowardly sleaze, he passed the buck to Bancroft. Hoping if something went wrong, he could avoid being involved. Warner is also the only one to not apologise as the others have.


I've played a bit of cricket at high levels, and am still in touch with all the blokes I played with and against. No-one is condoning what was done. But, this blubbering is just bullshit, and I prefer what Warner has done. "Yes, I was involved. I fucked up. /End"

Smith is just hoping he can protect his financial future by all this crap. CA is right to be quite worried what Warner might say at tomorrow's Press Conference.

Why would they be worried?

Warner will have the country at his throat if he messes around!
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby Aussie » 30 Mar 2018, 19:22

Why would they be worried?


Because he is a loose cannon. He could open skeleton filled cupboards. "If I am going down, you pricks are coming with me. Cop this......."
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 30 Mar 2018, 20:11

Aussie wrote:
Why would they be worried?


Because he is a loose cannon. He could open skeleton filled cupboards. "If I am going down, you pricks are coming with me. Cop this......."

I don't think so: imagine having a whole country hating your guts!
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2018, 21:21

johnsmith wrote:i read an interesting article about this a few days ago.

The gist of it was that this was going to come to a head, sooner or later, either with Australia or one of the other teams.

The problem is that over the years, ball tampering wasn't treated seriously or punished sufficiently by cricket officials.

here is a brief rundown of tampering incidents in the recent past


1990 Chris pringle - admitted to scratching a ball with a bottle top he kept in his pocket ... punishment? NIL

Michael Atherton, 1994 kept dirt in his pocket to rough the ball .... ICC did nothing (although English cricket fined him) ... he was allowed to continue playing

Waqar Younis . scratching ball with fingernails. Fined 50% of match fee.




So Tampering IS a part of cricket butis considered cheating.
Well given the scandalous behaviour re match rigging and gambling n the past, it is clear the GAME needs cleaning up. I agree with Dax's comment...
Dax wrote:on't watch cricket any more much myself, it no longer has the feel of being a genuine game. All it represents is money and wankers, pretty boring as well.




Sachin Tendulkar, 2001 - cleaning the seam of the ball without notifying referee .....this one was in dispute, ICC revoked a one match ban

Shoaib Akhtar, 2003 - scratching the surface of the ball ... banned for two one day games

Rahul Dravid, 2004 applied a lozenge to the ball ... fined 50% of match fee

Stuart Broad, 2010 - stepped on ball with spikes ... no penalties

Shahid Afridi, 2010 - bit the ball twice, banned for two games



In most cases, penalties imposed were a joke. There has been up til now, very little incentive to not try it .




OOOps oh well.

No I mean these guys seem to think they live in a movie or something. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? THAT is what has me bugged. I mean :WTF

They MUST have known they were visible... surely. What sort of security could allow this?? It beggars description. To be filmed , like they were seems such a set-up I DON'T GET IT.

It makes no sense. The more I think about it. WHY on earth would they do this.??


Am I right.? Is it true, that well to do young men who identify as fair dinkum aussies believe they are above all others. Some of them seem to. :grn
Regardless of how fucking gormless they are, they SHOULD be ashamed. At their stupidity. . Crikey.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby johnsmith » 30 Mar 2018, 21:28

pinkeye wrote:They MUST have known they were visible... surely.


there isn't a square inch of the pitch that is safe from cameras ....

they're idiots for even trying and deserve whatever they get coming to them
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6909
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 30 Mar 2018, 21:59

I'm wondering why they haven't all been asked if they're mentally ill?
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2018, 23:12

MilesAway wrote:I'm wondering why they haven't all been asked if they're mentally ill?

Spare us your inanities.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: TAMPERING ... is it CRICKET?

Postby MilesAway » 02 Apr 2018, 01:15

pinkeye wrote:
MilesAway wrote:I'm wondering why they haven't all been asked if they're mentally ill?

Spare us your inanities.

I'm serious?

Where's Jeff Kennet in all this?

If it's good enough for everyone else to be push-sold unneeded medications for the purposes of keeping the Stockmarket afloat it's good enough for the Australian cricket team thank you very much :jump

:bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DonDeeHippy, SethBullock and 1 guest