Q&A

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Q&A

Postby mothra » 27 Mar 2018, 13:36

Anyone catch it last night with Michael Sandel? Very interesting.

Thought Tony lived up to his self-image for a nice change. Particularly how he threw himself bravely in front of that poor woman in the audience who was suddenly expected to provide a viable alternative to the current strategy of deterrence for asylum seekers to justify her objections to the status quo. Michael himself confessed to being asked that question.

Tony Jones said there were no answers, anywhere.

I disagree. I've got some answers to his questions.
mothra
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Q&A

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2018, 15:11

I'd never previously heard of him but I enjoyed his discussion. One of the better Q&A's I've seen in a while now

the next one should be interesting, from the melbourne suburb having the most trouble with african crime gangs
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Vulcan » 27 Mar 2018, 18:15

Well Melbourne is very 'domesticated' - where anything 'International' is treated 2nd class citizen.
Most Melbournians (like Bobby), don't know where Australia is, let alone what's out there in the big world.
It's just them, their city (Beijing #2) and AFL (or Sport in general). I lived there for 7 years. A real 'bubble world' where people think they live in a Chinese city.

Sydney is the reverse, very Pro-International with 'domestic' culture given a 2nd priority. Hence why Clover Moore's Independent little inner city haunt copped a lot of adversity. Unlike 'foreign' blacks, its the 'local' Aboriginals that tend to be an angry mob. Although a city, not like in Asia - it is none the less 45% 'yellow' Asian as a population that is the largest racial group.

So you have one that acts 'Yellow' and the other filled with 'Yellow'.
(Can't say 'Asian' as White Russians and Black Indians are also 'Asian' ...or maybe we can't, like calling a White Boer as 'African American' if they moved there :huh )

So what do you do?
You can't please everyone, etc.
Who knows, maybe outside of the cities - the blacks are actually nice people and victims of 'white crime'? :oops
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2018, 00:37

johnsmith wrote:I'd never previously heard of him but I enjoyed his discussion. One of the better Q&A's I've seen in a while now

the next one should be interesting, from the melbourne suburb having the most trouble with african crime gangs

I saw it. It was quite good, in that Sandel managed to get some people to actually THINK.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 28 Mar 2018, 18:29

Ball-gate got an interesting assessment and when he moved onto Trumps election the world started to make sense.

He summed this up as people becoming disillusioned. I thought he was almost going to mention Nietszches basic folly with democracy next...

No, of course not: can't mention that!!

Then his premise of any topic being debateable in a democracy would sound a bit silly...

:hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :Hi
MilesAway
mountain lion

Postby MilesAway » 28 Mar 2018, 18:30

MilesAway wrote:Ball-gate got an interesting assessment and when he moved onto Trumps election the world started to make sense.

He summed this up as people becoming disillusioned. I thought he was almost going to mention Nietszches basic folly with democracy next...

No, of course not: can't mention that!!

Then his premise of any topic being debateable in a democracy would sound a bit silly...

:hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :Hi

:rofl :hlo :hlo :hlo :hlo :hlo
MilesAway
mountain lion

Postby Miranda » 30 Mar 2018, 15:35

mothra wrote:Anyone catch it last night with Michael Sandel? Very interesting.

Thought Tony lived up to his self-image for a nice change. Particularly how he threw himself bravely in front of that poor woman in the audience who was suddenly expected to provide a viable alternative to the current strategy of deterrence for asylum seekers to justify her objections to the status quo. Michael himself confessed to being asked that question.

I'm curious to know why you never told us what your solutions would be. I don't know why no one here thought to ask. I for one, would like to know.
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 31 Mar 2018, 12:24

Miranda wrote:
mothra wrote:Anyone catch it last night with Michael Sandel? Very interesting.

I'm curious to know why you never told us what your solutions would be. I don't know why no one here thought to ask. I for one, would like to know.

I said answers to questions, Miranda. i didn't say solutions.

But thanks for asking. There were many questions raised. Did you watch it?

As to the question of how to provide disincentive to travelling to Australia by dangerous boats, i would think providing another incentive is usually the best way the inspire change. People risk their lives to come to Australia because they are desperate. What else could help them, so they don't do something so risky?

Well, i think one of the first things that needs to be implemented is more and better resourced asylum centres in places of need. Refugee camps with provisions to apply for asylum to host countries. Are you aware of the closest point for seeking asylum to Australia is from Asia? The Middle East? If i were to tell you there isn't any, we start looking like we may have some answers to the accusation of queue jumpers.

Australia should spend the money it spends on offshore detention on developing points of safety for people in need. So should the rest of the developed world. These places should be fully equipped and resourced.

We up our refugee intake hugely.

We immediately house all of the people who are in offshore detention. We return anyone who makes it here by boat to the closest save haven to await their future, while they live in safety and dignity, together with their families.
Last edited by mothra on 01 Apr 2018, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
mothra
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 31 Mar 2018, 16:02

mothra wrote:Well, i think one of the first things that needs to be implemented is more and better resourced asylum centres in places of need.

regional Asylum processing centre in either Indonesia or Malaysia, where they are treated humanely and processed in a timely fashion. Genuine asylum seekers are then flown to the country of settlement, be it Australia or otherwise. Those found to be non genuine are to be flown back to their country of departure, with no avenue for appeals so they don't clog up the system. No need for boats. No need to lock them up indefinitely.

We up our refugee intake hugely.

we should at least double it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Dax » 01 Apr 2018, 06:48

A & A, is just a wank fest for the elites, who say nothing of use, just empty rhetoric. You never here a logical workable answer form any of them, just more platitudes, excuses, blame throwing and of course never ending denial.

As for refugees, there is only one answer, shut the doors to everyone until we have fixed Aus properly. The mantra of population growth being the only way to survive economically, is insanity and proven worldwide to be totally false. The best performing countries, have low populations and high standards of living, which economic resources spread more evenly. Unlike In most countries, where economic recourses are held by just 1 or 2 percent of the population.
Dax
Feral cat

Return to Off Topic