An International Women's Day quiz

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

An International Women's Day quiz

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 09:47

mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: An International Women's Day quiz

Postby Vulcan » 08 Mar 2018, 11:24

I'm scared. I have sand in my undies. :h
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 12:29

Come on guys. I didn't get all of them right.

It's highly illuminating.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 08 Mar 2018, 12:51

i got 6/11

i just couldn't get past the 'when i buy beer i get the waitress', and 'who cares you four eyed mole' :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 12:53

johnsmith wrote:i got 6/11

i just couldn't get past the 'when i buy beer i get the waitress', and 'who cares you four eyed mole' :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I only did one better than you. Congrats.

The answers for MRA readers were fucking hilarious. Reckon they've been reading Ozpol.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 08 Mar 2018, 12:59

mothra wrote:

The answers for MRA readers were fucking hilarious. Reckon they've been reading Ozpol.

actually, the answer to the first question surprised me. the one about mums using number quantifications on male toddlers

although i'm not sure i quite get how it's sexist. it looks a bit like they're finding differences from some obscure study and claiming it proves their case.

we're these mums of boys and girls treating their kids differently, or did they survey someone like my wife, who has a degree in mathematics so uses numbers a lot, and only has boys, and comparing them, to another mother of girls who isn't so into maths sp less inclined to use numbers?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 13:08

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

actually, the answer to the first question surprised me. the one about mums using number quantifications on male toddlers

although i'm not sure i quite get how it's sexist. it looks a bit like they're finding differences from some obscure study and claiming it proves their case.

we're these mums of boys and girls treating their kids differently, or did they survey someone like my wife, who has a degree in mathematics so uses numbers a lot, and only has boys, and comparing them, to another mother of girls who isn't so into maths sp less inclined to use numbers?

Yeah, i was surprised by that one too.

I read it as not so much about looking for factors, rather than some women perpetuating the myth that they were raised with that girls aren't "good" at maths; a bias entrenched by their own experience.

I was raised with two older brothers who were expected to excel at maths and science while i was steered into the humanities. It wasn't until my tertiary years that i did a medical science degree and found myself inclined to science to the point i averaged HDs ... from failing Biology in High School.

Same with maths. Not until i got a job requiring me to do money tallying and banking that i became aware that i'm quite good with numbers.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 08 Mar 2018, 15:07

mothra wrote:I read it as not so much about looking for factors, rather than some women perpetuating the myth that they were raised with that girls aren't "good" at maths; a bias entrenched by their own experience.

i've never heard that myth ...and my old man is as sexist as they can get
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 08 Mar 2018, 15:29

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:I read it as not so much about looking for factors, rather than some women perpetuating the myth that they were raised with that girls aren't "good" at maths; a bias entrenched by their own experience.

Sign him up here! Mr Smith Snr -v- The Ladies!
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 15:50

johnsmith wrote:

Seriously? It's a pretty widely held belief ... and one the STEM community comes up hard against.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 15:59

johnsmith wrote:

https://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/news/research-finds-60-girls-believe-they-cant-do-maths-science

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/apryl-delancey/girls-arent-good-at-math_b_8005068.html

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/girls-can-t-do-math-or-science/

mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 16:10

I got bored after the first question actually because all I care is about how we've raised ours.

I reckon when it comes to anything academic we've had a gender-less approach to education. She's in year 6 now and a total maths wonk and probably the best in her school.

Her fav person at the moment is Lily Serna (google her)
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 16:13

Gordy wrote:I got bored after the first question actually because all I care is about how we've raised ours.

I reckon when it comes to anything academic we've had a gender-less approach to education. She's in year 6 now and a total maths wonk and probably the best in her school.

How unlike you to be utterly self-obsessed.

Did it occur to you that these are issues that will confront your daughter? That do confront the women you know personally and intimately?
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 16:21

mothra wrote:
Gordy wrote:I got bored after the first question actually because all I care is about how we've raised ours.

Did it occur to you that these are issues that will confront your daughter? That do confront the women you know personally and intimately?

Is the world better or worse for me producing a female human who loves maths and (at this stage) wants to be an engineer or a neuroscientist, or her having a dad that clicks on a quiz and says things that will make me seem all warm soft and fuzzy?

BTW my wife is an accountants and brilliant at maths and gets paid very well to use her math brain. She's never encountered issues like that in the workforce.
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 16:32

Gordy wrote:
mothra wrote:

Is the world better or worse for me producing a female human who loves maths and (at this stage) wants to be an engineer or a neuroscientist, or her having a dad that clicks on a quiz and says things that will make me seem all warm soft and fuzzy?

BTW my wife is an accountants and brilliant at maths and gets paid very well to use her math brain. She's never encountered issues like that in the workforce.

Issues like what? You "got bored after the first question". How the fuck would you know what other topics were raised?

Don't bother replying. I got bored after your first post.
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 16:39

mothra wrote:
Gordy wrote:
mothra wrote:

Issues like what? You "got bored after the first question". How the fuck would you know what other topics were raised?

Don't bother replying. I got bored after your first post.

Wow.

So you're more impressed by someone answering a silly 2 minute quiz than spending 11 years guiding a female child to follow what she loves and be awesome at maths and teaching her that she can follow any career she damn well wants. BTW, as we speak, she's upstairs doing a NSW State selective practice test...in maths :)

I thought actions speak louder than words??
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 16:40

mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 16:51

Come on, lets nut this out.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if ever daughter was raised with the attitude we had?

I may get bored of quizzes but I've added a strong minded female to the planet, isn't that good?
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 16:53

mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 17:05

mothra wrote:Image

Right, so posting boring memes is how you engage in conversation these days.
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby Vulcan » 08 Mar 2018, 17:07

My sister did well at Maths. So much so - she now heads a very large Accountancy Firm in QLD.
Me, I struggle with maths and still finger count. It's like a language and to me - because of my sister, the natural instinct is that its a 'girl thing', but I know better that its not overly true beyond my own experience. My other sibling speaks many languages and works for a Govt Agency that needs that sort of thing along with other stuff.

I think I've heard of that 'myth' you talked about Mothra. It probably comes from Namerica where 'males' were the dominant 'Science, Mathematicians' like Einstein and Co. But a recent film showing how women really did top the Mathematical needs of the Space Programs shows that Maths, is for anyone.
As is 'Sport' and if you look at Australian Sport - the women show a far more 'professional' approach than our Males.

Anyway, why are you jumping down Gordo's remarks Mothra? :huh

Ironically, crap at Maths that I am - I excel at gambling (when I bother to do it). Go figure? :WTF
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 17:18

Vulcan wrote:My sister did well at Maths. So much so - she now heads a very large Accountancy Firm in QLD.
Me, I struggle with maths and still finger count. It's like a language and to me - because of my sister, the natural instinct is that its a 'girl thing', but I know better that its not overly true beyond my own experience. My other sibling speaks many languages and works for a Govt Agency that needs that sort of thing along with other stuff.

I think I've heard of that 'myth' you talked about Mothra. It probably comes from Namerica where 'males' were the dominant 'Science, Mathematicians' like Einstein and Co. But a recent film showing how women really did top the Mathematical needs of the Space Programs shows that Maths, is for anyone.
As is 'Sport' and if you look at Australian Sport - the women show a far more 'professional' approach than our Males.

Anyway, why are you jumping down Gordo's remarks Mothra? :huh

Ironically, crap at Maths that I am - I excel at gambling (when I bother to do it). Go figure? :WTF

My mum was really fast at mental maths, I'm just OK but I get 'concepts' like I can nut out options strategies, which is kinda like gambling.

As for my daughter, I just raised her to do what she likes and helped her find he strengths. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 17:54

Vulcan, Gordy is not interested in discussing the topic. He merely wants to perform one of his two tricks, to big-note himself. His other being displaying his wide range of prejudices.

You see, had Gordy not become so proudly bored by the first question, he would have gone on to discover a range of interesting facts that represent gender disparity in Australia. For instance, were you aware that 2.1 million of us have seen our dads hit our mums? I tried to point this out to him … but he just talked about what a great guy he is some more

Gordy, bored by the prospect of talking about something that isn't all about him and his successes went further still; to attemppt to not so subtely denigrate me for being more focussed on quizzes than real life results. I'm surprised he refrained from calling me a slacktivist … again.

You see, were i also a narcissist (or perhaps he is just deeply insecure?) i too would have regaled you all with the many successes of my own parenting. However, i have no need of the approval of anonymous people on the internet.

Go back and reread what he has written objectively. If you are attentive, you will quickly see why engaging him bores me even more than answering 10 well researched questions and the statistical evidence in the answers apparently bores him.

With anyone else i would wonder why they bothered commenting on a thread about quizzes when they are so bored by quizzes in the first place. Yet i am sure you understand now why Gordy felt inclined to.
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 08 Mar 2018, 18:33

As soon as I read the first question I really just couldn't give a crap because I prefer to run my own race and do what I think is best and if everyone was DOING what I was doing, the world would be a better place. MY actions are making a difference.

Having a daughter, most of the kids I know are females and most of them are highly encouraged academically, and most have mothers who are highly successful professionals.
Most of these kids are killing it academically and the ones who aren't, it's so obvious they're marching to a different tune.

Honestly in my life, these issues are hardly an issue.
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 08 Mar 2018, 18:50

See?
mothra
Duck

Next

Return to Off Topic