Norways Luxury Prison

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Norways Luxury Prison

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 15:14

Norway’s prison system is known as one of the most humane in the entire world.

It may also be one of the most radical.

“This is prison utopia,” American prison warden James Conway said in “The Norden,” a made-for-TV documentary. “I don’t think you can go any more liberal — other than giving the inmates the keys.” The production explored Conway’s experience visting Halden.

Click here to see the surprising accommodations »
The 75-acre facility tries to maintain as much normalcy as possible, an important concept in the Norwegian prison system, Jan Stromnes, deputy head of the prison, said in the documentary. That means no bars on the windows, fully equipped kitchens, and friendships between guards and inmates.

“Every inmates in Norwegian prison are going back to the society,” Are Hoidel, Halden’s director, said in another production by Gughi Fassino and Emanuela Zuccalà. “Do you want people who are angry — or people who are rehabilitated?”

Like many prisons, Halden seeks to prepare inmates for life on the outside with vocational programs: wood-working, assembly workshops, and even a recording studio.

Norway hasn’t imposed the death penalty since 1979. Life sentences don’t exist, putting the focus on rehabilitation instead of punishment.

The Scandinavian country has an incarceration rate of 70 per 100,000, totaling 3,571 inmates for the entire country. The US’ rate is more than 10 times Norway’s — 707 per 100,000, or 2,228,424 people behind bars.

At Halden, it's sometimes hard to tell the inmates and guards apart.

common room for up to ten inmates

unrestricted access to fully stocked kitchens and workshops with no restrictions on items that can be used as weappons

even a recording studio

more photo's in the link

before you criticise it, Norway has one of the lowest reofffending rates in the world
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Re: Norways Luxury Prison

Postby Vulcan » 04 Mar 2018, 16:06

Looks like a lame Boarding House for Celebrities and other Australian 'nerds'.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Vulcan » 04 Mar 2018, 16:10

As for 'reoffenders'.

Well, Norwegians don't breed well. Having children 'compromises' their lavish lifestyles and quality of living conditions ...like 'cushy' prisons.
At the most, the Gays ...er, I mean Norwegians - just 'import' Turks and Assyrians to build their 'population' status.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Mar 2018, 16:54

People are sent to gaol AS punishment, not FOR punishment.

Any idea re recidivism in Norway, John?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 04 Mar 2018, 17:36

I've lived in Boarding Houses far worse than that in Sydney. Hell, the Cops would make their appearance at least a few nights of the week.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Mar 2018, 17:45

Difference is: you could leave, prisoners can’t.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 04 Mar 2018, 18:19

HBS Guy wrote:Difference is: you could leave, prisoners can’t.

Actually. People never 'leave' Australian Boarding Houses. They get kicked out.
Too much sex, booze, drugs and more going on to want to leave.
Much like Australian Prisons.

Norwegian Prisons look like a Nerd set-up. I bet they all behave like Ned Flanders in there.
I've worked for a German who's been in a Prison set up like this.
(they have them in Germany.
He said its like Camp Holiday and better than Julian Assange's arrangements in an Embassy.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 20:16

HBS Guy wrote:People are sent to gaol AS punishment, not FOR punishment.

Any idea re recidivism in Norway, John?

They have one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world, currently 20%,[1] with approximately 3,933 offenders in prison,[2] and one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_Norway

(44%+ in Australia)
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 20:21

Vulcan wrote:As for 'reoffenders'.

Well, Norwegians don't breed well. Having children 'compromises' their lavish lifestyles and quality of living conditions ...like 'cushy' prisons.
At the most, the Gays ...er, I mean Norwegians - just 'import' Turks and Assyrians to build their 'population' status.

yeah?? well i have two norwegian nephews that say you're full of shit. Birth rates are not much lower than australia's, 11.4 v's 12.7 per annum per thousand people
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 20:29

Vulcan wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Difference is: you could leave, prisoners can’t.

Actually. People never 'leave' Australian Boarding Houses. They get kicked out.
Too much sex, booze, drugs and more going on to want to leave.
Much like Australian Prisons.

Norwegian Prisons look like a Nerd set-up. I bet they all behave like Ned Flanders in there.
I've worked for a German who's been in a Prison set up like this.
(they have them in Germany.
He said its like Camp Holiday and better than Julian Assange's arrangements in an Embassy.

fuck you're full of it. You wouldn't last a second with those 'nerds' with your big mouth. And you don't know anyone who worked in anything like this. This is a world first.

Here's an idea? How about you leave your bluster and one up-manship out of it and look at the results?
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Return to Off Topic