Get Hairy February

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Get Hairy February

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 00:57

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-and-views/get-hairy-february-australian-women-grow-body-hair-for-domestic-violence-support-20180130-h0qxq2.html

Watching late night tv, saw this on the Project. I know society is thingy about women having hair ... anywhere but on our heads (and even that has certain standards) these days, apparently ... but i had no idea that women who've been photographed (such as Julia Roberts) at public events with hairy armpits have received actual death threats.

Astonishing thing to get upset about should you ask me.

But the show did some research. Apparently the western predilection for plucked women started in the '20s ... with Gillette running ads that female body hair was "objectionable' in their marketing of a shaver designed for women. Bet it was pink.

And the woman who has pioneered "get Hairy February" talks of begging her mother for her first wax job at 11, after she was teased at school.

She speaks of hopes that her own 11 year old daughter (when and if she has one) will feel more okay in her own skin. That was certainly the message i gave my own daughter.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you find hairy women "objectionable"? Or is this another case of women putting undue pressure on ourselves and most men (except trophy collecting wankers) not giving the slightest of fucks?

Or if you do care, is it legs, armpits and/or bush you care about?

If so, why do you think you care?
Last edited by mothra on 02 Feb 2018, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Get Hairy February

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 03:55

Found the clip. Be warned, you'll have to turn off asblock though ... which always annoys me. Annoys me with SBS too.

But here it is:. I urge you to watch it

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/extra/season-9/get-hairy-february

"Wouldn't it be amazing if women could just grow into being women without any of that of that policing and harassment"

- Alex Andrews
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2018, 08:53

When did men start calling their girlfriends etc “baby?” Isn’t that what the shaved look is about? Hairless infant?

Weirdos like Horseboy need something to feel superior to.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 09:32

I don't care about hair anywhere else but I have to admit hair on the face isn't very appealing. I can live with that really fine hair that you can't see unless you examine up close, but once it start to get thick enough to be noticeable from a distance than it's a problem.

hairy armpits, legs, bush, arse (is that a guy thing, I don't ever recall seeing a girl with a hairy arse) etc ... bahhh ... who cares.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 10:01

johnsmith wrote:I don't care about hair anywhere else but I have to admit hair on the face isn't very appealing. I can live with that really fine hair that you can't see unless you examine up close, but once it start to get thick enough to be noticeable from a distance than it's a problem.

hairy armpits, legs, bush, arse (is that a guy thing, I don't ever recall seeing a girl with a hairy arse) etc ... bahhh ... who cares.

Have a very fine woman friend with an awesome goatee. It's her thing ... her partner loves her and she loves herslef and i love her.

Not my thing ... but i love her for it.

John, how much of your acceptance of hairy women do you think is cultural?

For example, i associate underarm hair on women with sexuality, having snuck up to watch European SBS movies when i was coming into my own. Likewise, i like a full bush.

I remember a french woman saying (somewhere in my formative years) to never shave above your knees ... for fear of giving stubble rash to kindly gentlemen. I never did. Although i doubt i understood it all the way through when i heard it.

I pluck my legs though in the warmer weather... below the knee ... there is no need to above the knee. Because i like to wear skirts and shorts. Convention, mostly though.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 10:27

mothra wrote:John, how much of your acceptance of hairy women do you think is cultural?

probably all of it .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 10:32

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:John, how much of your acceptance of hairy women do you think is cultural?

probably all of it .

Damn. Not what i was hoping to hear.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 11:30

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

probably all of it .

plus the fact that I'm to lazy to bother worrying what other people look like (is that better?)
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 11:37

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

probably all of it .

plus the fact that I'm to lazy to bother worrying what other people look like (is that better?)

I like that immensely better.
mothra
Duck

Postby Lefty » 02 Feb 2018, 11:40

My missus shaves the lot - though it wouldn't greatly bother me if she had hairy underarms and, well....nether regions.

Bit hard to imagine her with a beard like my own though.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 02 Feb 2018, 11:42

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 11:47

Lefty wrote:My missus shaves the lot - though it wouldn't greatly bother me if she had hairy underarms and, well....nether regions.

I'm quite sure it's another one of those things that women do to ourselves ... like (head) hair and make-up and weight.

The men i've known and know are far more relaxed.

I repeat: except for those pitiful trophy collectors. But seriously? Who wants one of them?
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 11:49

Lefty wrote:Hairy ass song

Thanks for sharing, Lefty.
mothra
Duck

Postby Lefty » 02 Feb 2018, 11:53

I'm quite sure it's another one of those things that women do to ourselves ... like (head) hair and make-up and weight.

She obsesses over her weight all the time - despite me telling her continuously for the past 20 years that I really don't care.

Which makes preparing meals more fiddly for the household cook - which is me 99% of the time. You wouldn't believe how many things contain an unacceptable level of carbs. Problem is that some flavours simply can't be done away with, not imo anyway.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 12:01

Lefty wrote:

She obsesses over her weight all the time - despite me telling her continuously for the past 20 years that I really don't care.

Which makes preparing meals more fiddly for the household cook - which is me 99% of the time. You wouldn't believe how many things contain an unacceptable level of carbs. Problem is that some flavours simply can't be done away with, not imo anyway.

Cut her some slack, Lefty. Think where she's getting the message from. It's seriously everywhere. From childhood on, if you're a woman. It's force=fed through every single conduit.

Did you watch the clip? How many ads through a show are taken up telling a woman how to look with unrealistic representations of how we should look? Shaving already shaved legs? Fixing perfect hair? Covering non-existent age lines or "blemishes"?

Now, ask yourself, "Why isn't my wife a raving loony?" ... then be thankful that she's not whilst admiring her awesome resilience,

Get her some Alice Walker and some Margaret Atwood. For a start. And hug her often. Tell her she's the single most beautiful thing in your world every chance you get ... without overdoing it.
mothra
Duck

Postby Lefty » 02 Feb 2018, 12:17

Most of her 75 work colleagues are female - I'll ask her this evening if Get Hairy February is being discussed in the staffroom.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 14:17

Lefty wrote:Most of her 75 work colleagues are female

that solves your conundrum

it's a myth that women dress, make up, diet etc for men ... most of the time its simply a case of trying to outdo the other women.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 14:23

[quote="johnsmith"

it's a myth that women dress, make up, diet etc for men ... most of the time its simply a case of trying to outdo the other women.[/quote]

There's a lot of truth to that. I've long said that when i walk into a venue, women will immediately give me a score out of 10. They'll evaluate me as a potential threat, or not.

That said, it's not women who run this machine. The window for women to be "famous" or "acceptable" is tiny. The competition we enforce upon each other is a response to that.

Feminism, i say again, fights all that.

But what has happened in the great pendulum swing is that we are now quantifying men as flippantly as we have always quantified women ... and we are calling it equality.

And so the very real need for representation for human beings get swept under the carpet ... and kids kill themselves.

It's all utterly and irredeemably sick.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 14:36

And, i hasten to add, a great many women don't fall for any of this shit.

Loads of us.

Chances are, we'll be the ones you marry.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:09

mothra wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-and-views/get-hairy-february-australian-women-grow-body-hair-for-domestic-violence-support-20180130-h0qxq2.html

Watching late night tv, saw this on the Project. I know society is thingy about women having hair ... anywhere but on our heads (and even that has certain standards) these days, apparently ... but i had no idea that women who've been photographed (such as Julia Roberts) at public events with hairy armpits have received actual death threats.

Astonishing thing to get upset about should you ask me.

But the show did some research. Apparently the western predilection for plucked women started in the '20s ... with Gillette running ads that female body hair was "objectionable' in their marketing of a shaver designed for women. Bet it was pink.

And the woman who has pioneered "get Hairy February" talks of begging her mother for her first wax job at 11, after she was teased at school.

She speaks of hopes that her own 11 year old daughter (when and if she has one) will feel more okay in her own skin. That was certainly the message i gave my own daughter.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you find hairy women "objectionable"? Or is this another case of women putting undue pressure on ourselves and most men (except trophy collecting wankers) not giving the slightest of fucks?

Or if you do care, is it legs, armpits and/or bush you care about?

If so, why do you think you care?

Quality last sentence :?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:12

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:I don't care about hair anywhere else but I have to admit hair on the face isn't very appealing. I can live with that really fine hair that you can't see unless you examine up close, but once it start to get thick enough to be noticeable from a distance than it's a problem.

Have a very fine woman friend with an awesome goatee. It's her thing ... her partner loves her and she loves herslef and i love her.

Not my thing ... but i love her for it.

John, how much of your acceptance of hairy women do you think is cultural?

For example, i associate underarm hair on women with sexuality, having snuck up to watch European SBS movies when i was coming into my own. Likewise, i like a full bush.

I remember a french woman saying (somewhere in my formative years) to never shave above your knees ... for fear of giving stubble rash to kindly gentlemen. I never did. Although i doubt i understood it all the way through when i heard it.

I pluck my legs though in the warmer weather... below the knee ... there is no need to above the knee. Because i like to wear skirts and shorts. Convention, mostly though.

Isn’t everything cultural? Like, that’s why women women try and look pretty to catch a meal for life isn’t it?

Wait,... I’ll just start walking back to the 1950s shalI I ? :roll
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:16

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

probably all of it .

I like that immensely better.

Why, because it was completely ungenuine?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:18

mothra wrote:
Lefty wrote:My missus shaves the lot - though it wouldn't greatly bother me if she had hairy underarms and, well....nether regions.

The men i've known and know are far more relaxed.

I repeat: except for those pitiful trophy collectors. But seriously? Who wants one of them?

Are you like the worlds teacher or something?

Aussie women ay :roll
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:23

mothra wrote:[quote="johnsmith"

it's a myth that women dress, make up, diet etc for men ... most of the time its simply a case of trying to outdo the other women.

There's a lot of truth to that. I've long said that when i walk into a venue, women will immediately give me a score out of 10. They'll evaluate me as a potential threat, or not.

That said, it's not women who run this machine. The window for women to be "famous" or "acceptable" is tiny. The competition we enforce upon each other is a response to that.

But what has happened in the great pendulum swing is that we are now quantifying men as flippantly as we have always quantified women ... and we are calling it equality.

And so the very real need for representation for human beings get swept under the carpet ... and kids kill themselves.

It's all utterly and irredeemably sick.[/quote]
So why do feminists want the right to walk around like sluts and expect no problems?

:zzzz
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 20:44

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

It's all utterly and irredeemably sick.

Recall a few years ago I was watching a doco, don't recall what it was about but I recall there was a section where they tracked various subjects eye movement as they flashed photographs on a screen to see what the subjects looked at, and for how long.

I personally was shocked to find the end result was that women spent more than double the time men do in checking out other womens boobs, arse, legs etc. Up until that time I thought no way men would lose that tussle. But they weren't even close.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Next

Return to Off Topic