Dentures.? Must share

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Dentures.? Must share

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2018, 22:27

:bgrin
Long story short.. I'm going to have my remaining 6 top teeth removed, and an immediate denture put in place, on, of all things, Valentine's Day. :roll

So ..I was relating this fact to someone I haven't spoken to for a least a year, who happened to ring me today. The Universe provides. :bgrin

He proceeded to tell me about HIS dentures. He was particularly concerned about whether my upper denture was going to be solely upper. They have a much larger moulding over the roof of the mouth than those, like his, which were made for full lower dentures as well. :OMG :bgrin :purple :purple :purple :purple :purple :purple
Only.. he has lower teeth and finds that the lower denture is useless. He doesn't wear it, and subsequently the much shorter upper emplacement doesn't work well either. .

He complained.. it is a real pain in the arse... if I chew the wrong way on one side, the denture flips out and around and bites me on the cheek.!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl He added, and yeah it really hurts.!!

Haven't laughed so much in years. my dog is worried. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Dentures.? Must share

Postby mothra » 01 Feb 2018, 23:49

Had a boyfriend who had one of front teeth knocked out and the thing to do back then was fit a new one on a little levery thing ... so he could flop it out and it would sit on his lips.

He'd do it to people.. catch them unawares ... they'd turn to look at him and his tooth would be just sitting there. They never knew how to handle it. Watching them trying t be polite was extremely awkward. Was hilarious.
mothra
Duck

Postby Miranda » 02 Feb 2018, 12:46

Pinkeye, your writing style is so youthful, that I thought you were younger! I still think you are young, so why are you getting dentures? Were you involved in an accident of some kind?

It is very good news though. Good luck!
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 13:47

have an older brother who whilst trying to show off to some girls in the surf at Port Kembla beach, sneezed and his dentures flew out. Spent the next 50 mins feeling around in the sand with his fingers and toes to try and find them ... surprisingly, he eventually found them

lets just say the girls weren't impressed :rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 02 Feb 2018, 13:48

Miranda wrote:Pinkeye, your writing style is so youthful, that I thought you were younger!

x2
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 02 Feb 2018, 14:03

Y'all know people can need dentures at all sorts of ages, yeah?
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2018, 20:13

Miranda wrote:Pinkeye, your writing style is so youthful, that I thought you were younger! I still think you are young, so why are you getting dentures? Were you involved in an accident of some kind?

It is very good news though. Good luck!

Thanks for the good wishes. I must admit to some apprehension. If you have never needed to have dentures you have NO IDEA about whats involved.

I am told once the teeth are removed, the denture will be placed immediately. I asked What about all the blood and stuff.. he looked at me and said.. you have to leave them in place for at least 2 days. EEK.

And thanks for your comments on my style of writing.

Hmmm. I do feel young this is true, BUT I'll be 61 yrs of age next birthday. And loving it. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 13 Feb 2018, 23:10

EEEk the big day looms tomorrow.

(teeth chattering).. LOL

It'll be strange having teeth up there.

Oh well, I'll be in a whole different space tomorrow night.
I'll rely on Ibuprofen, mainly, for the pain.
No paracetamol for me.
No sirree. Bad for you, it is. ( YODA)

No matter what, I must not remove the 'immediate denture' for at least 2-3 days.. and that should be done back at the Dental Hospital. My mind is boggling, so I'm trying not to think too much about it. :roll

Brave New World.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 13 Feb 2018, 23:17

mothra wrote:Y'all know people can need dentures at all sorts of ages, yeah?

I may have reasons why..... BUT... a major factor, that I could have overcome, was a total ignorance and disregard for my dental health.
I have had a turbulent life.
Mostly in my younger years I lived totally inside my own head. My body was like a vehicle, an automaton, that carried my brain around.

HEY it seems my penchant for a product called tobacco is considered the main cause...

SUCH IS LIFE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2018, 23:26

Please forgive my somewhat maudlin prev post.

There were many factors. :b

ANYWAY

I arrive to find the plan has changed. NOT losing all my top teeth . Bearing in mind that this is a TEACHING Dental Clinic, it seems thru some process , which I imagine was a group review of cases covered, it was considered the plan proposed was inadequate for my needs. My case was considered more complex, and needed to be bumped up a level.
:roll

I DID lose my two front incisors. My student dentist had an assistant.. who when asked by my guy, said no, he'd never assisted at an extraction before.
Duh, schuckss. :roll

Only 4 to go. :thumb

Hmm.. my student practitioner was actually pretty good, but ummm he copped some flack from his supervisor , a much senior man. It was procedural, about interacting with different teachers and teams... bit over my head, but the gist was enough to suggest that the previous person I dealt with last year , and her supervisor, had decided too hastily. :roll .
Seems I have another FOUR APPOINTMENTS.!! HMMMMMMM.

I suspect they see me as an excellent teaching subject.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 07:17

Heh, my dentist said I was a good patient—didn’t move much. Well, d’uh, the more you move the longer it takes and the more pain. Logic!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 Feb 2018, 20:16

HBS Guy wrote:Heh, my dentist said I was a good patient—didn’t move much. Well, d’uh, the more you move the longer it takes and the more pain. Logic!

Yeah they love me. :bgrin

I remain extremely calm. But talkative We all have a good laugh. :bgrin

So yeah feeling good. Have healed up pretty well so far. Only took two Ibuprofen that evening.
Fuck... I am so tough.

No front teeth worth mentioning, but it is a relief to have them gone. They were very much in the way of eating.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 22:08

Like your spirit.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 Feb 2018, 22:56

HBS Guy wrote:Like your spirit.

I've been remembering conversation.. I do have an excellent recall in most cases.My guy was looking at the X-Rays I SUPPLIED.. ( their comp sys could not find a record of it, and couldn't read the CD.!! FFS. :roll )

I have been told for going on two years now Full uppers are the only answer. Since then I have had several teeth extracted.

So anyway I remember my young guy looking at these X-Rays, and SAYing, without looking at me... quietly, they want to save your teeth.

Hmmmm.

Then the supervisor arrived, asked me how I was .. I replied... Not 100% sure actually, which caused a chuckle, and I forgot about the remark. Then followed the discussion about 'treatment plans' etc. So... after some tinkering with base moulds for dentures (the proposed ones were never made) the Senior guy came back, My guy showed him the moulds, My XRAY, he looked came and touched my teeth, and instructed my fellow to remove the two front incisors. NO QUESTIONS about THAT.!

But it seems to me, without my agreement, that they now want to save , at least my upper canines, 2 of my 4 remaining uppers.

I will have to be incisive in my questions next time I go. :grn

(excuse the pun :bgrin )

Which is Wednesday.

You know i think I'll continue this topic till I have a resolution. Whether you'all enjoy it or not.

Cheers. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 21 Feb 2018, 23:36

I'M BACK.!

OK today was a good day. 1.5 hrs of denture production. What an experience.! :)
I will lose the rest of my upper teeth ( 4) on 9.3.

Today's entertainment included mini-flamethrowers and very hot water.
I'm lucky I have a high pain tolerance.

At one stage, my student dentist had glued a mould into my mouth, BUT eek then had BIG trouble getting it back out.
So another day down.

I might have functioning dental hardware by my birthday.!!

I'm so thrilled.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 23 Mar 2018, 03:19

hmm well things have changed again and I finally had the last remaining taken out this Monday gone. Immediately a denture was placed over the upper gums.

OMG..

PEOPLE... look after your teeth.!!!
You don't want to do this if you don't have to, believe me.! :S :S
And I hate to think what it must have been like in the past. The mind cringes.

So I haven't eaten much since then.... chewing isn't advisable so I have soup, mushy weetbix mash soft perfect grilled barra,, damn I couldn't eat it all.

SO I'll be fine, BUT it is a big shock to the system. I will spare you all the details and say..... its goodnight from me and au revoir.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 23 Mar 2018, 08:37

i hope it wasn't to painful for you. At least you're done now. Once you adjust to your dentures you'll be able to chew anything you want again.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 23 Mar 2018, 23:19

johnsmith wrote:i hope it wasn't to painful for you. At least you're done now. Once you adjust to your dentures you'll be able to chew anything you want again.

I look forward to that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 23 Mar 2018, 23:30

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i hope it wasn't to painful for you. At least you're done now. Once you adjust to your dentures you'll be able to chew anything you want again.

I look forward to that.

give it a few weeks
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2018, 12:17

pinkeye wrote:Today's entertainment included mini-flamethrowers and very hot water.
I'm lucky I have a high pain tolerance.

I'm so thrilled.

I have had the mini flame throwers after a basal cell carcinoma has been removed. Didn’t feel anything tho. But looks dramatic, you see the bits of flame go shooting along the glass tubing! Take that you dirty kraut! Ha!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 25 Mar 2018, 04:27

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

I look forward to that.

give it a few weeks

thanks.. :roll
Actually its improving, and I have to go back on Tuesday for another fitting.
That should remove a few irritants. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2018, 00:47

What a day.! Cripes. I got there on time and the gate code wouldn't let me in. So, seems someone was watching because the OUT gate remained UP. Fair enough,.... hey back up lady..., the access denied... gotta go that way.
So,, had a bit of a wait after all (they're really good there. It 's a University Teaching Dental Clinic)

I think I got lucky.. (is that unkind?).. the young student I have had this whole year, who has pulled the teeth and made the mould has done a really good job. I look very different for sure.. but the fit of the denture was TIGHT. OUCH. Taking it in and out literally brought tears to my eyes.

Now, after some tinkering, honing a bit there, grinding a tooth there, .... I find it much improved.
:bgrin :purple :purple

It can only get better. :yahoo :thumb

Next visit.. in a month.

Crikey people, !! if you're young enough... look after your teeth.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2018, 07:21

I still have nearly all my teeth despite the fact I don’t take enough care (enough care = brush 2x a day) and am a sweet tooth.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2018, 01:36

HBS Guy wrote:I still have nearly all my teeth despite the fact I don’t take enough care (enough care = brush 2x a day) and am a sweet tooth.

Yeah its common . I didn't pay enough attention !!.. didn't really understand the consequences, . so good luck with that. :bgrin

I have most of my bottom teeth.. it is strange to have upper back teeth again... eating, and taste of food I'm re-learning. SO MONK... take better care. DO NOT BE COMPLACENT... else. you could end up with periodontal disease, which is what I managed to get.. all by myself.!! :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 01 Apr 2018, 02:45

I have a couple of bad ones that have broken up and largely fallen out. But they are right at the back - can't see them, they don't hurt so don;t feel inclined to spend the money.

When I was a kid, we had a sapphire mining claim on the Anakie gemfields. A bit of a rugged place, half the population of the miners in those days were European immigrants - Italians, Germans, Hungarians, Romanians etc. Dad, Uncle and Grandfather used to go up the track to their claims and get on the slivovitz and other fire-water concoctions with them. I remember an old Hungarian couple with a mine on the ridge above us - the old lady had lost a bunch of teeth and had them replaced by sapphires! Not pulling anyone's leg here!

The smile was a bit unfortunate - when light can enter from all angles, a sapphire is a beautiful shade of blue/green/yellow/orange. But when they are in the mouth and light can't get to them properly they just look like a mouthful of black teeth. At least they would never wear out :purple
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Next

Return to Off Topic