the future is here

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

the future is here

Postby johnsmith » 23 Jan 2018, 08:33

Amazon Go concept store opens to public, ditching registers for smartphone app and cameras

No cashiers, no lines, no registers — this is how Amazon sees the future of in-store shopping.

The online retailer has opened its Amazon Go concept to the public, selling milk, potato chips and other items typically found at a convenience store.

Amazon employees have been testing the store, which is at the bottom floor of the company's Seattle headquarters, for about a year.

Shoppers enter the store by scanning the Amazon Go smartphone app at a turnstile, then shop as per usual.

When they pull an item of the shelf, it is added to their virtual cart, and if the item is placed back on the shelf, it is removed from the cart.

Shoppers are charged when they leave the store.

The company said it uses computer vision, machine learning algorithms and sensors to figure out what people are grabbing off its store shelves.

Despite the lack of registers there will be employees at the store — Amazon said there will be people there making food, stocking shelves and helping customers.

On the opening day, workers were on hand to help shoppers find and download the Amazon Go app on their phones.

Amazon said families can shop together with just one phone scanning everyone in.

Anything they grab from the shelf will also be added to the tab of the person who signed them in.

But do not help out strangers: Amazon warns that grabbing an item from the shelf for someone else means you will be charged for it.
At about 167 square metres, the store will also sell ready-to-eat breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

Items from the US Whole Foods 365 brand are also stocked, such as cookies, popcorn and dried fruit.

The company had announced the Amazon Go store in December 2016 and said it would open by early 2017, but it delayed the debut while it worked on the technology and company employees tested it out.

The public opening is another sign that Amazon is serious about expanding its physical presence.

It has opened more than a dozen bookstores, taken over space in some US department stores and bought Whole Foods last year, giving it 470 grocery stores.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-23/amazon-opens-supermarkets-with-no-checkouts/9351504
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Re: the future is here

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2018, 08:43

While I rarely use the self-checkouts at supermarkets etc, preferring to give people a job, that article talks about employees being busy restocking shelves, helping customers.

I also like getting a total—have once of twice had to put items back, e.g. when going shopping without my wallet just a bit of cash in my pocket—it is nice to get a total before paying. So easy to put stuff in the shopping trolley, stuff is arranged so enticingly—so hard to pay :bgrin

If you could get a total on your smartphone before leaving that would be nice.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 24 Jan 2018, 01:29

HBS Guy wrote:While I rarely use the self-checkouts at supermarkets etc, preferring to give people a job, that article talks about employees being busy restocking shelves, helping customers.

I also like getting a total—have once of twice had to put items back, e.g. when going shopping without my wallet just a bit of cash in my pocket—it is nice to get a total before paying. So easy to put stuff in the shopping trolley, stuff is arranged so enticingly—so hard to pay :bgrin

If you could get a total on your smartphone before leaving that would be nice.

Great! Consumers should go along with this without a whimper. They already know they have no privacy, so why not?

I was watching a real discussion about this on ABC (where else :roll ) the other day. They were all in a tither about HOW Amazon manages to achieve this. Saying Amazon wasn't advising how their system works.

Personally I don't think there is any mystery at all. it IS a smart use of current tech. Nothing new at all. Just used more cleverly. :bgrin

Not my thing by the way. My shopping is minimal, and I constantly resist impulse buying. That becomes problematic when shopping on-line as well.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2018, 02:41

Lots of cameras, apparently.

I miss buying antiques but that will have to be put aside for a while with the the development of my block getting to the pointy end.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 Jan 2018, 12:49

HBS Guy wrote:Lots of cameras, apparently.

it's all cameras

i especially liked this bit

But do not help out strangers: Amazon warns that grabbing an item from the shelf for someone else means you will be charged for it.

just how stupid is that? I always help little old ladies who can't get stuff of the top shelf ... I guess amazon will need to keep lower shelves
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2018, 13:24

You would have to help by getting a staff member get the item off the shelf. All a bit clumsy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 24 Jan 2018, 14:15

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Lots of cameras, apparently.

it's all cameras

i especially liked this bit

just how stupid is that? I always help little old ladies who can't get stuff of the top shelf ... I guess amazon will need to keep lower shelves

Protocols ay!?!

Driverless cars can only have a built in tolerance for serious crashes. I don’t see too many reasons for the car if your personal freedom is being taken away, personally speaking so... maybe the car is going the way of the dodo?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 25 Jan 2018, 23:42

well look at Norway. They intend to go to all autonomous by 202?. Not too far away.

Some futurists believe that kids in this, or the next, generation may never need to get a license. Vehicles will be uberish. Instead of you driving to work and parking, then driving home hours later, and parking till the next day , the car will arrive , take you to work, then go and pick up someone else etc. They calculate they'll need only 10% of the number of vehicles currently on the road. WOW.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 13:19

pinkeye wrote:well look at Norway. They intend to go to all autonomous by 202?. Not too far away.

Some futurists believe that kids in this, or the next, generation may never need to get a license. Vehicles will be uberish. Instead of you driving to work and parking, then driving home hours later, and parking till the next day , the car will arrive , take you to work, then go and pick up someone else etc. They calculate they'll need only 10% of the number of vehicles currently on the road. WOW.

Trains are always going to be cheaper than cars: I would be saying it’s a shift to mass transport!

Once the car is no longer for the freedom of the individual the magic of the car is gone!

Cars are all about Jevons Paradox and wasting fuel because you’ve got the standing armies to shove it to the rest of the world!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 31 Jan 2018, 23:30

yes.
Well, if you think about it objectively, the concept of individually operated motor vehicles, running freely on motorways and roads, and only controlled by each individual, then realistically you couldn't come up with a more dangerous form of public mass transport.
It really is an INSANE idea... and yet we all embrace it. :bgrin :purple Hey, I live somewhere without public transport. I love my car. :bgrin :purple

As was pointed out recently by someone or other, .. if a Jumbo Jet fell out of the sky at the rate of a couple a WEEK, nobody would think it a safe form of transport.. and yet in effect, that is what is happening with motor vehicle transportation on a weekly basis . ( comparison for emphasis only).....
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 01 Feb 2018, 17:11

pinkeye wrote:yes.
Well, if you think about it objectively, the concept of individually operated motor vehicles, running freely on motorways and roads, and only controlled by each individual, then realistically you couldn't come up with a more dangerous form of public mass transport.
It really is an INSANE idea... and yet we all embrace it. :bgrin :purple Hey, I live somewhere without public transport. I love my car. :bgrin :purple

As was pointed out recently by someone or other, .. if a Jumbo Jet fell out of the sky at the rate of a couple a WEEK, nobody would think it a safe form of transport.. and yet in effect, that is what is happening with motor vehicle transportation on a weekly basis . ( comparison for emphasis only).....

It was insane Without seat belts.

It was insane without drink driving laws!

You may say it's less insane with autonomous vehicles but I say that takes away the freedom of private vehicle ownership so the demand will go down. What would be the point of buying a fancy car, for instance?

So the market place becomes disrupted... There's a million different ways this could go..... :OMG
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 01 Feb 2018, 20:07

MilesAway wrote:You may say it's less insane with autonomous vehicles but I say that takes away the freedom of private vehicle ownership so the demand will go down. What would be the point of buying a fancy car, for instance?

that's kinda the point

no need for private cars.

You just need to order a car to be at your place when you want it, and it will be there. No ongoing maintenace costs.

And because it doesn't sit in a carpark for 8 hrs while your working, and is instead taking your wife shopping etc, she doesn't need a car either.

Self driving cars are tipped to ease traffic congestion in a big way

although I love driving, and I will always keep a car for me. Regardless of the cost
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 16:57

MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 02 Feb 2018, 17:06

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:You may say it's less insane with autonomous vehicles but I say that takes away the freedom of private vehicle ownership so the demand will go down. What would be the point of buying a fancy car, for instance?

that's kinda the point

You just need to order a car to be at your place when you want it, and it will be there. No ongoing maintenace costs.

And because it doesn't sit in a carpark for 8 hrs while your working, and is instead taking your wife shopping etc, she doesn't need a car either.

although I love driving, and I will always keep a car for me. Regardless of the cost

Without private cars how will roads get paid for?

This could get messy with people all of a sudden feeling like sardines when the culture they grew up in was used to flying around like a mad chook on a whim!

A river either grows or it stagnates and dies: I think cars maybe going the way of the dodo!

:OMG
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2018, 21:57

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

that's kinda the point

This could get messy with people all of a sudden feeling like sardines when the culture they grew up in was used to flying around like a mad chook on a whim!

A river either grows or it stagnates and dies: I think cars maybe going the way of the dodo!

Fancy Car. mALE symbol.? Not necessary in the brave new world of autonomous vehicles.
That is a good thing I think. It'll happen for real... but I won't be around.

THANKFULLY.

sEEMS TO ME, HUMANS ARE BECOMING OBSOLETE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 05 Feb 2018, 02:34

pinkeye wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

that's kinda the point

Fancy Car. mALE symbol.? Not necessary in the brave new world of autonomous vehicles.
That is a good thing I think. It'll happen for real... but I won't be around.

THANKFULLY.

sEEMS TO ME, HUMANS ARE BECOMING OBSOLETE.

If a fancy car is a male symbol then what is a female symbol?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Return to Off Topic