Anti-pervert flamethrowers

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Anti-pervert flamethrowers

Postby mothra » 14 Jan 2018, 21:09

Man-Repelling Flamethrowers Are Being Marketed to Women in China
While many of the "anti-pervert" weapons look like your average lighter, others are advertised to shoot out 20-inch flames.

Apparently pepper spray just isn't providing the same level of protection and peace of mind to Chinese women today. According to the Telegraph, a few online listings have popped up selling mini pocket flamethrowers marketed as "anti-pervert" weapons.

According to Chinese media site Beijing Youth Daily, these self-defense devices are reportedly being sold on shopping websites like Taobao and ebuy7.com for anywhere between $6.35 and $40. Some even appear to come with an extra propane canister for a handy refill. While many of the flamethrowers look like your average lighter, others are advertised to shoot out 20-inch flames at 3,300 °F.

Buyer beware, though, because shipping and using the flamethrower is illegal in China, according to local police. Not only can the mini weapons leave a permanent scar, according to the Telegraph, but authorities are worried they could inadvertently ignite a purse fire for those who carry them.

Although it's unclear if women in China are actually using these mini flamethrowers, they're not the most bizarre product aimed at keeping aggressive men away. That honor goes to the "anti-pervert" leggings that apparently give women's legs a hairier look and made the rounds on Chinese blogs in 2013.

These unconventional products are likely a response to China's persistent sexual harassment problem. A 2009 report found that 80 percent of Chinese women will experience workplace sexual harassment in their lifetime, compared to (the still absurdly high) 40 percent of women in the US. In recent years, women have resorted to speaking out on social media about their experiences with rape and domestic violence, as many of those crimes go unreported in the country.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/vbmqjx/man-repelling-flamethrowers-are-being-marketed-to-women-in-china-vgtrn

mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Anti-pervert flamethrowers

Postby Aussie » 14 Jan 2018, 21:10

Nasty. Doubt it would be legal anywhere?
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby mothra » 14 Jan 2018, 21:12

Aussie wrote:Nasty. Doubt it would be legal anywhere?

Not fucking around, are they.

Nope. Not legal. But then again, neither is sexual assault.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 14 Jan 2018, 21:22

mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:Nasty. Doubt it would be legal anywhere?

Not fucking around, are they.

Nope. Not legal. But then again, neither is sexual assault.

Aye. Rather the victim suffer than the man perpetrating the offense. NOT IN MY PLACE.! :mad

You can actually buy mini-flame throwers in kitchen retail areas. To Brulee don't you know. :bgrin :roll Mind you, they don't sport such a long flame. :bgrin
I got one at ALDI. :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jan 2018, 21:28

sounds like a good night out

a perv and a BBQ

:beer
Last edited by johnsmith on 15 Jan 2018, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 14 Jan 2018, 22:27

Years ago, when i was doing a self defence course, the instructor taught us the key trick ... you know, hold your keys in your fist when your walking alone with one sticking out from between your fingers.

Well, i bought my daughter one of these for her last birthday:

It's ideal because it can't be taken off you easily and used against you ... a very real problem with most weapons.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 00:39

mothra wrote:Years ago, when i was doing a self defence course, the instructor taught us the key trick ... you know, hold your keys in your fist when your walking alone with one sticking out from between your fingers.

It's ideal because it can't be taken off you easily and used against you ... a very real problem with most weapons.

ouch
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2018, 00:50

mothra wrote:Years ago, when i was doing a self defence course, the instructor taught us the key trick ... you know, hold your keys in your fist when your walking alone with one sticking out from between your fingers.

Sweet
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2018, 00:51

pinkeye wrote:

Sweet

Of course they are illegal. :roll :purple
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 08:39

pinkeye wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

Sweet

no, they're cat keyrings .... why would they be illegal? :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 15 Jan 2018, 14:03

johnsmith wrote:
ouch

Indeed. Temples, eyes or throat, her loving mother told her.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 15:10

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
ouch

you're a good mamma
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 15 Jan 2018, 15:14

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
ouch

you're a good mamma

Damn straight. And after she's incapacitated them, she's to call me and i'll pop over with my trusty potato peeler.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 15:29

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
ouch

you're a good mamma

Damn straight. And after she's incapacitated them, she's to call me and i'll pop over with my trusty potato peeler.

If this keeps up I'll have to stop pinching strange women on the bum .... :giggle :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 15 Jan 2018, 15:31

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
ouch

you're a good mamma

If this keeps up I'll have to stop pinching strange women on the bum .... :giggle :giggle

Ha! It's working!
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 15:33

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
ouch

you're a good mamma

Ha! It's working!

i suppose I could always use my extra long BBQ tongs ..... that'll put me out of range.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 15 Jan 2018, 15:41

johnsmith wrote:
i suppose I could always use my extra long BBQ tongs ..... that'll put me out of range.

Would work well with the flamethrower. Once you've fricasseed your assailant, you can use his tongs to remove delicate parts.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2018, 15:42

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Would work well with the flamethrower. Once you've fricasseed your assailant, you can use his tongs to remove delicate parts.

:gup :gup :gup
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2018, 17:23

Ahahahaha

Bit of weight in the fist will really help.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2018, 23:24

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

Sweet

Beats me. I'd like a couple. of course... they're good for confidence, but, unless they are worn on the knuckles everytime the owner leaves the car, house etc, they''d be pretty hard to put on, in the face of an agressive attack.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 16 Jan 2018, 07:39

pinkeye wrote:Beats me. I'd like a couple. of course... they're good for confidence, but, unless they are worn on the knuckles everytime the owner leaves the car, house etc, they''d be pretty hard to put on, in the face of an agressive attack.

That's the thing. You've got to condition yourself to be prepared to defend yourself whenever you're alone.

Whenever i walk alone, i hold my keys in my fist with one (special favourite) key extended from between my clenched fingers. It's habit.

I'm not a violent person ... very far from it .... but if someone tries to in any way violate me, they will be made to fight very hard in trying.

I remember as a young girl reading a double page spread in the paper (Murdoch press, of course) in which a female police woman gave advice to women on dealing with sexual assault. Her advice was to not fight back. To do so, she argued, could cost you your life. So she counselled us to submit. Close our eyes and think of England ... and all that. Maybe then he'll let you live when he's finished with you.

I have learned otherwise in my travels. Not before i was very badly hurt ... but within enough time for me to stop that kind of hurt for my own future and that of others. Notably, my cat key-chain wielding daughter.

The reasons women don't fight back (or to extend this to a very topical issue, report) are manifold. I From it being seen as unattractive to be strong and capable ... to not wanting to make things worse.

I've taught my daughter to kick, scream, gouge, and punch. Make things worse. For them.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 16 Jan 2018, 12:00

mothra wrote:

That's the thing. You've got to condition yourself to be prepared to defend yourself whenever you're alone.

one of my favourite sayings comes from the 'Jack Reacher' series

'hope for the best, plan for the worst'.

words to live by
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 16 Jan 2018, 13:31

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

words to live by

Indeed ... or as Douglas Adams puts it ... always carry a towel.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jan 2018, 03:30

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

words to live by

Indeed ... or as Douglas Adams puts it ... always carry a towel.

OR
really good to have in your car are sanitary pads...excellent for bleeding wounds.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 02 Feb 2018, 15:20

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

Sweet

It could well be if you actually use it as a weapon. QLD Police Service categories of weapons....

It could well be if you actually use it as a weapon. QLD Police Service categories of weapons....

Category M weapons

Each of the following is a category M weapon--

(a) any clothing, apparel, accessory or article designed to disguise any weapon or other cutting or piercing instrument capable of causing bodily harm;

(b) any knife so designed or constructed so as to be used as a weapon that while the knife is held in hand, the blade may be released by that hand;

(c) any clothing, apparel, adornment or accessory designed for use as a weapon or a cutting or piercing instrument capable of causing bodily harm;

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceapplication/weapons/categories/categories.htm

Not that I would hesitate to use anything I could get my hands on if half-a-dozen young blokes were threatening to stomp me to death. I guess you have to be able to prove that the danger was real.

From the same weapons category list...

Category E weapons

A bulletproof vest or protective body vest or body armour designed to prevent the penetration of small arms projectiles is a category E weapon.

:WTF How the hell is a bullet-proof vest an offensive weapon? What are you going to do, take it off and belt the guy around the head with it?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Next

Return to Off Topic