who invented pizza?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

who invented pizza?

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jan 2018, 14:22

Karnal said

Pizza, by the way, was given to Italy by the Arabs,

rubbish. Arabs had flat bread. Not pizza. No toppings. That's like calling a slice of buttercup white sliced bread pizza .... scandalous.

Ancient Romans and Greeks had flat bread with herbs and oil on it, today it's more commonly known as focaccia bread

PIZZA, a flat bread with a tomato sauce, CHEESE and toppings however was invented by Italians. It was credited to a baker in Naples (i believe that pizzeria still operates today), however street vendors in Naples were selling it to peasants long before he came up with the idea.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Re: who invented pizza?

Postby MilesAway » 06 Jan 2018, 14:41

johnsmith wrote:Karnal said

rubbish. Arabs had flat bread. Not pizza. No toppings. That's like calling a slice of buttercup white sliced bread pizza .... scandalous.

Ancient Romans and Greeks had flat bread with herbs and oil on it, today it's more commonly known as focaccia bread

PIZZA, a flat bread with a tomato sauce, CHEESE and toppings however was invented by Italians. It was credited to a baker in Naples (i believe that pizzeria still operates today), however street vendors in Naples were selling it to peasants long before he came up with the idea.

Question: how does a street vendor sell pizza without a pizza oven? ...read:”... the ability to actually ‘bake’?...”
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jan 2018, 15:50

I think Nonnas invented pizza. A way to use up stale bread by toasting it with cheese and tomato.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 06 Jan 2018, 16:12

Kim Jong Il
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jan 2018, 16:15

MilesAway wrote:

Question: how does a street vendor sell pizza without a pizza oven? ...read:”... the ability to actually ‘bake’?...”

it's pre cooked

nothing better than cold pizza
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jan 2018, 16:16

HBS Guy wrote:I think Nonnas invented pizza. A way to use up stale bread by toasting it with cheese and tomato.

it was almost certainly someones nonna
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jan 2018, 16:27

First pizza I ever ate was made by a mate’s mother. Was hooked ever since. I want a pizza/bread woodfired oven when I move to Tassie.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jan 2018, 16:33

HBS Guy wrote:First pizza I ever ate was made by a mate’s mother. Was hooked ever since. I want a pizza/bread woodfired oven when I move to Tassie.

there is nothing like mums home made pizza. Especially when growing up and we used to have our own wood fired bread oven in the back yard ...... I'm drooling just thinking about it.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jan 2018, 17:25

Well, first step is to prepare the ground in the backyard for planting my initial (8, now 6, rejecting two varieties as unsuitable) cider apple and cherry trees. Have been given the phone number of someone not too far from my place who has a tractor and can do some deep ripping plus plow the topsoil, making it easy to work. If that all works out I will buy another 6 cider apple trees, another two cherry trees and a heap of dwarf apple trees and perry pear trees.

Edit by me: Why the fuck did I post this here? I dunno! :oops :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 07 Jan 2018, 13:56

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

it's pre cooked

...except for cold KFC :beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jan 2018, 15:09

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

it's pre cooked

depends on the cut ... some of the meaty bits are dry when cold.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby MilesAway » 07 Jan 2018, 15:12

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

it's pre cooked

depends on the cut ... some of the meaty bits are dry when cold.

Yes, I leave the box open in the fridge to dry them out!

:beer

It even last two days in the fridge... pizza never lasts two days in the fridge!

:beer :beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jan 2018, 15:22

MilesAway wrote:It even last two days in the fridge... pizza never lasts two days in the fridge!

cause you eat it
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby MilesAway » 07 Jan 2018, 15:48

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:It even last two days in the fridge... pizza never lasts two days in the fridge!

cause you eat it

Yeh, alright, ya got me,..maybe I wasn’t in an eating mode those particular 4/5 days?

I still tried it but, ooooohyuk!

:yellow

KFC, ..well it certainly wouldn’t last enough for me to test it...no matter how much I bought I suspect!

The limiting factor is of course spoiling the magic of it... I’ve never cared so much for fast food!

:beer :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 07 Jan 2018, 15:52

Note: if the Tuesday special for 9 pieces for 9.99 came back I may buy two buckets and keep it for 4 days!

Maybe not 5,... most probably I wouldn’t try 5!

:yellow :rain
MilesAway
Jaguar

Return to Off Topic