Wotja reading?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Wotja reading?

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2017, 17:46

I have fallen into a bit of a Kipling frenzy just lately. Bought “Just So Stories” at the Adelaide Antiques Fair on Friday and today, in a Salvos shop (don’t ask) I found “Puck of Pooks Hill” for 1/5th the cost of “Just So stories” :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

Stalky and Co I have read. Any other good Kipling reads I should try to find?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Wotja reading?

Postby greggerypeccary » 31 Oct 2017, 09:40

I haven't read a lot of Kipling in recent years.

Currently reading Extinctions.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/wa-writer-wins-top-book-prize-ng-b88589896z
greggerypeccary
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Re: Wotja reading?

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 09:50

I read Jungle Stories and Kim decades ago, must still have the books here.

If you like good SciFi, Neal Stephenson. His best book is probably Reamde which involved a multiplayer online game, Russian mafia, ransomware, jihadists and a young woman caught up in it all. Snow Crash is another good one, won’t tell you what is in it. Like environmental activism? Then Scorpion is it. Like historical fiction? Quicksilver and its two big thick companion books are for you. Isaac Newton, Leibnitz, George Ist etc and two figures who are in all the books. Diamond Age (a future Hong Kong) and Anathem—he is a prolific writer and a good one.

I want to reread Anathem but I think it is packed up somewhere.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic