Beer review: Hop Hunter IPA

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Beer review: Hop Hunter IPA

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2017, 19:26

SN make a perfectly acceptable Torpedo IPA so what is different in the Hop Hunter?

It is brewed with farm distilled hop oil.

To expand on this, this is from the label on the neck of the bottle:
Steam distilled hop oil, gathered right in the hop fields [I guess they mean the hop cones were gathered not the hop oil :roll ] gives a mighty boost to the floral and citrus notes of traditional whole–cone hops for intense, unmatched hop aromatics.

Some claim. Does the ale live up to expectations? Keep reading.

IPAs, the worlds first truly industrial beer, created to fill a market niche that required putting a LOT of hops in the ale to protect the beer in the barrels of sailing ships from spoilage. Worked some of the time. So the beer is pretty bitter when fresh. IPA lasted as a beer style no more than 3 decades.

Then, in the 1970s home brewers and craft brewers found out about this style and made it their own! Hop Hunter IPA is just one on a spectrum of interpretations not all of which *I* consider to be an IPA. The I stands for India, indicates the need for the bitterness. The P stands for Pale! I don’t consider an amber ale, no matter how fucking bitter to be an IPA. Bitterness is needed but so is PALE! Pale malts, no crystal malt.

OK, enough stage setting, let us open the fucking bottle!

Bottle opens with a nice “pssst” but not excessive (well, bit more than I like and wooden barrels cannot hold a high fizz but let us not be pedantic!) (It is a bit too fizzy, don’t tell anyone.)

A lovely pale beer pours into the glass and forms a nice slightly off–white head with tiny and small bubbles. The head hangs around and I do want that in a beer! A bucket of suds should have suds! Picking the glass up I am aware of a lovely lovely smell but more on that anon: I was checking the effervescence and it is a bit more than I like. Picky, aren’t I?

Stick my nose in the glass. Ooohhhhhhh!!!!! LOVERLY clean, intense aroma, piny. Clean, intense, enjoyable! Yes, the Hop Hunter lives up to its billing.

Take a few sips, quite bitter—it IS an IPA, boyo! But the bitterness is smooth. Took a couple pictures—note the glass half drank, still nice layer of froth. Hmmm. For all the bitterness the aftertaste is mild and clean.

I would drink this again.

Is it a real IPA? Well, bitter enough. Maybe too bitter, can’t taste any malt.

Buy a sixpack, put it out of sight for 6 months and try it. The bitterness should have mellowed and more flavor should show through. Don’t drink it too cold, take it out the fridge and let it stand 15 minutes—cellar temperature is what we want.

A real beer not an alcopop!

(PS the glass is a georgian–era rummer glass, well over 200 years old. Very nice to drink out of.)
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Beer review: Hop Hunter IPA

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Oct 2017, 14:57

Drinking the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

Color is too deep, too amber, for a real IPA.

The Hop Hunter IPA from the same brewery had a stronger and more delicious hop aroma by a country mile. It was also not as bitter as the Torpedo.

Happy to drink either!

Both are pretty much all malt as their nice head retention shows, lovely lace down the side of the glass. To me a beer with no head is not a beer—however, high alcohol beers (≥8% abv) have difficulty keeping a head so they get more of a lenient marking re head retention.

If only the Torpedo was decently pale!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2017, 17:39

I bought three Sierra Nevada beers today.

Celebration Ale—think this one might be pretty good

A sour ale

Hop Hunter

will post reviews.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Beer review: Hoptimum

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2017, 18:45

Another Sierra Nevada IPA.

A triple IPA: 9.6%abv! BIG beer, oh yeah.

Also big in hop aroma, flavor and hop bitterness!

All malt ale, can tell that from the wonderful head retention and lace down the side of the glass.

Stick your nose in the glass and inhale—make sure the nose is ABOVE the level of beer idiot!—and it is so lovely! Clean, piny, citrusy, spicy. Just fucking wonderful!

O!M!G! I LOVE this beer! I LOVE hops!

Home brewers tend to rapidly move to the bitter side of the beer family and I have been a home brewer for a long time! I love this beer! I love the hops in it! Aroma, flavor, bittering!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2017, 18:55

I hate hops and malty smell ~ taste.

:bgrin
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2017, 20:12

That is because you have been drinking that alcopop, VB! More appropriately called VD!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 03:59

Mid you, this Triple IPA would have had some sugar added to the kettle, dry it out a bit. I do that myself with big beers, kilo or two of blue gum honey, added after flameout.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 16:25

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Fresh hop IPA.

Sorry, an authentic IPA is paler than this ale!

Open the bottle. Nice psst. Too much effervescence! The original IPA was conveyed in wooden barrels in sailing ships. Fizzy ale would have seen the barrels explode!

Should beer be shackled to the past? YES! in the case of IPA! Call a beer an APA (American or Australian Pale Ale) and you can do what you want. Call a beer an IPA and you MUST produce a pale ale with appropriate hoppiness! And appropriate effervescence (low low fizz.)

But given those UNFORGIVABLE faults the Celebration Ale is a nice amber ale. Nice malt-hop aroma, holds onto its head like a gold digger to its sugar daddy, lovely mouthfeel and body. I LOVE this beer! It is not an IPA but FUCK I love it!

Malt!

Hops!

Head retention!

Body!

Mouthfeel!

Nice aftertaste

This beer has it all!

Pity it isn’t an IPA, eh?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic