Winx the Magnificent

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Winx the Magnificent

Postby pinkeye » 05 Mar 2018, 23:10

pinkeye wrote::rose :rose :rose :smitten

she won her 23rd in a row, and is equal World's greatest Group One winner at 16 Group one Wins. Only one other horse has done so, since the 'Group One" format came to be. That was John Henry.. an American Horse, set in 1984.!!

She did what she does so well. :bgrin :yahoo
The only record she hasn't broken is Black Caviar's 25 straight.

She races again in 3 weeks.

Yesterday's Chipping Norton was her third straight win in that race, and the onle mare to have done so.

The race itself was what everyone wanted.
She started slowly, but rounded them up and strolled past them like they were nothing. Astonishing. :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Next race in 3 weeks.
I'll have to skite.!!

No money involved.!! BUT
I picked Winx and second and third. I had the first three!! :bgrin :bgrin .
I thought they were pretty obvious, not the strongest field. But 2nd Prized Icon did well, if Winx wasn't there, as did Classic Uniform 3rd. I'd only seen either of them in one race each previously.... and each impressed. I don't see many races... as I said I don't PayTV and I don't hang around pubs or clubs, so I HAVE TO SAY I AM FUCKING FANTASTIC.!

The thing..?? I DON'T GAMBLE.... I just watch them for their grace bravery and beauty.

And I CRY FOR THEM too.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 11 Mar 2018, 02:03

For those interested

Her jockey Hugh Bowman had a BAD fall today. Unconscious on the track after a freak incident. He was riding the Favourite and was trying to ride it like Winx.
The horse seemed to see something in it's path because it went sideways in full flight,, and Bowman was thrown up, and then he fell down, HARD.

He looked like a ragdoll. Luckily he wasn't trampled by other horses.

HE WAS VERY LUCKY, to apparently have come out of it with a concussion, and lost teeth. NOW, that says a lot. Teeth are comprised of the hardest substance in the human body.
If you watch the footage, his head and neck were subjected to immense forces, born out by the broken teeth. He wasn't kicked in the head, it was the force of impacts that broke his teeth.!!

He is one very lucky, and very HURT man. The News so far has confirmed the concussion and the lost teeth. Apparently X-rays show no broken bones.

So... ?
I don't think the news has the full facts yet. X-rays only look at bones. .Media are saying he will be fit to ride WINX in 2 weeks.!

Hugh Bowman is supposed to ride Winx in the George Ryder Stakes, in 2 weeks. I think that is a huge ask of Bowman. He'll need major time to recover. I know he has said all he does is sit on her and steer, but I cannot imagine how he can be fit for that ride.
OK 2 weeks?
Jockeys are tough.!!

Not that tough.

I think Mr Waller, her trainer, needs to talk to the owners ASAP about this. They need another jockey. She has won in much more crowded races as a two yr old FFS .. jockeys NOT BOWMAN.!

I was critical of the connection's decision to by-pass the Apollo Stakes, because Bowman was suspended for bad whatever, and couldn't ride her. I said then it was a mistake. .They ought to respect her MORE!. Winx'd win with a monkey on her back.

But no, they want the team. Well, another jockey could have ridden her in The Apollo, and now she'd be going for 25 straight, instead of 24. :tweed

SO... The George Ryder.. No 24 WIN in a row, if she runs.
Come on, Connections of Winx... Bowman is JUST a JOCKEY.
There are a lot of them who would do just as well on WINX. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.

So..anyway... all the best to Hugh Bowman.
That was a really bad fall, and I hope he recovers well..
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 11 Mar 2018, 22:59

pinkeye wrote:For those interested

Her jockey Hugh Bowman had a BAD fall today. Unconscious on the track after a freak incident. He was riding the Favourite and was trying to ride it like Winx.
The horse seemed to see something in it's path because it went sideways in full flight,, and Bowman was thrown up, and then he fell down, HARD.

He looked like a ragdoll. Luckily he wasn't trampled by other horses.

HE WAS VERY LUCKY, to apparently have come out of it with a concussion, and lost teeth. NOW, that says a lot. Teeth are comprised of the hardest substance in the human body.
If you watch the footage, his head and neck were subjected to immense forces, born out by the broken teeth. He wasn't kicked in the head, it was the force of impacts that broke his teeth.!!

He is one very lucky, and very HURT man. The News so far has confirmed the concussion and the lost teeth. Apparently X-rays show no broken bones.

So... ?
I don't think the news has the full facts yet. X-rays only look at bones. .Media are saying he will be fit to ride WINX in 2 weeks.!

Hugh Bowman is supposed to ride Winx in the George Ryder Stakes, in 2 weeks. I think that is a huge ask of Bowman. He'll need major time to recover. I know he has said all he does is sit on her and steer, but I cannot imagine how he can be fit for that ride.
OK 2 weeks?
Jockeys are tough.!!

Not that tough.

I think Mr Waller, her trainer, needs to talk to the owners ASAP about this. They need another jockey. She has won in much more crowded races as a two yr old FFS .. jockeys NOT BOWMAN.!

I was critical of the connection's decision to by-pass the Apollo Stakes, because Bowman was suspended for bad whatever, and couldn't ride her. I said then it was a mistake. .They ought to respect her MORE!. Winx'd win with a monkey on her back.

But no, they want the team. Well, another jockey could have ridden her in The Apollo, and now she'd be going for 25 straight, instead of 24. :tweed

SO... The George Ryder.. No 24 WIN in a row, if she runs.
Come on, Connections of Winx... Bowman is JUST a JOCKEY.
There are a lot of them who would do just as well on WINX. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.

So..anyway... all the best to Hugh Bowman.
That was a really bad fall, and I hope he recovers well..

Having seen the footage several times now, I am amazed he didn't break his neck.
Good luck to you Hugh.

Don't feel obligated to get up on Winx, if you're not fit.

She can win no matter who rides her, as long as they follow the successful tactics you have perfected for the race. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 23 Mar 2018, 03:07

The mighty mare races again on Saturday... for 24 straight wins. !! :rose

Seems Bowman will be on board.
Seems he'll also be riding the same horse, Performer, that threw him so badly, in the Golden Slipper. That'l be an interesting race.

Winx will face a young Colt called Kementari, this time. Grandson of Octagonal, son of Lonhro. He has the breeding, is lightly raced and will be big in the future.

Winx will beat him.

I'm yet to check out the field for the Race The George Ryder Stakes. .. so I'll be back. :smitten
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 25 Mar 2018, 04:33

And, she did it.! :thumb

24 wins on the trot, and a world record for most ever Group One wins.!!
She's won more races than Black Caviar.
Next win will equal Black Caviar's 25 Straight wins.

Black Caviar only ran in 25 races, and she won them all. THAT is a record that I doubt will ever be beaten.

Winx is a legend. She'll race next in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 25 Mar 2018, 09:47

pinkeye wrote:She's won more races than Black Caviar.

I'm confused ... if winx won more races, hasn't she already equalled or past black caviar?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 26 Mar 2018, 00:51

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:She's won more races than Black Caviar.

I'm confused ... if winx won more races, hasn't she already equalled or past black caviar?

Well yes she has surpassed Black Caviar in race wins, and Group one wins. Absolutely.

But Black Caviar holds a record I don't think will ever be surpassed.

Black Caviar is the only horse I am aware of that raced 25 times in total, and won every single one. She was NEVER beaten, whereas Winx did lose a handful of races as a 2 yr old.
Amazing.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby Vulcan » 26 Mar 2018, 20:15

Yeah but if Winx wins another few to tally up 28 wins in a row.
Who's not to say that Black Caviar could have lost the next three after her 24 wins in a row?
So really, if Winx wins 'more' than Black Caviar - then really, regardless of losses - she's done a lot more than BC has done.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2018, 00:06

Oh yes don't get me wrong.
I think Winx is the greatest horse I have had the privilege of seeing race.

She has won more races than Black Caviar, she has made more money than Black Caviar.
I have followed various horses over the years.. ( I won't bore you with their names etc) .. but Winx is the greatest I have ever seen.

She'll win her next race, and her next race... (barring bad luck, which is certainly not something to be ignored)........Nothing I 've seen can beat her.
As a mare, she is capable of racing for more seasons yet.
She is only just now, a mature horse. If she has no accidents, and stays here for a year, she will surpass all others, beyond denial.

THEN, perhaps they'll race her overseas. Just to rub their noses in it.!! :bgrin

I hope to see her stay here through to the next WS Cox Plate. If I were her owners, that's what I'd do.

See how she comes off the runs, and only THEN think about MAYBE going overseas.
Well, that's what I'd like.

Re Black Caviar... she raced 25 times.
. the best of the best, and NEVER LOST A RACE. That is a 100% win rate over her life time racing. 25 for 25.. has that ever been beaten? Not to my knowledge.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby Vulcan » 27 Mar 2018, 18:07

Lucky to have two horses excel in recent times in such a consistent manner.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2018, 00:18

Vulcan wrote:Lucky to have two horses excel in recent times in such a consistent manner.

Very lucky.

The odds of getting a horse like this must be huge.! Bet the owners are rapt. Having Waller as the trainer is an added bonus. I swear he speaks horse. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2018, 01:49

well there you go :bgrin

Waller was interviewed today, and advised that WINX will be staying in Australia. :yahoo :yahoo

What he said was considered, and very welcome.
It's all about the welfare of the mighty mare. He, and the connections see no need for her to undertake an arduous overseas campaign at this time in her life. She really has nothing to prove, and as Waller said.. if they want to take her on.. if they want
to race her, they can come here. :thumb :yahoo :clap :rose
Mr C Waller is my favourite trainer.. even with out Winx, his record is terrific.

Winx will run in a couple of weeks.. The Queen Elizabeth Stakes... should be an interesting race,, seeing which of the recent winners will take her on.
She will be going for 25 straight wins , equalling Black Caviar's record of 25 straight wins.
Seems Gailo Chop, and Kementari are likely to run, and probably Happy Clapper... don't know.

:yahoo :yahoo .
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 09 Apr 2018, 00:02

Vulcan wrote:Lucky to have two horses excel in recent times in such a consistent manner.

Another difference btwn Winx and Black Caviar, is Black Caviar was a sprinter. Short distance.

Winx is far superior, in that she can win sprints.. Usually around 1200 mtres... and middle ..up to 1500 m and 1600 m .. up to
a mile and beyond.
Damn can't remember her ' longest' race win... (have to check that)

But any way she is the greatest. And I am so happy to hear that the owners aren't particularly interested in taking her O/S. :yahoo :thumb

They've pretty much said,, she's the greatest, she has nothing to prove, and if any Northern Hemisphere Stable wants to take her on, THEY CAN COME HERE.
She can easily go on racing here... there is no reason to retire her as long as she continues to have the will and the fitness to RACE.

Watched her in a demonstration Gallop yesterday at the Randwick 'Championship' Day.

She looked absolutely MAGNIFICENT. :wub :wub :rose :smitten

She has NEVER LOOKED BETTER IMHO. NOTHING will beat her next Saturday, in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes. (barring ALL BAD LUCK!!)

WHEN she beats Happy Clapper next Saturday she will be 25 straight wins. Equalling Black Caviar's 25 straight wins.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 11 Apr 2018, 23:55

Yes .. she races again on Saturday.
The Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2000m at Randwick.
Happy Clapper will try again.

Must check the field.

She has won up to 2200m... and could easily go further as she matures. ahem... imho.
She just loafs along, until called on,, and she is just the greatest...!!! :bgrin

It is a very strong field, actually, and if it weren't for Winx.???
I'd say Happy Clapper, then Comin'through and Gailo Chop, and Humidor, and some of the rest..?

I know and don't rate, or I don't know.. so cannot comment.

The Mighty Mare. She looked so magnificent last Saturday.... I don't think anything in the field can beat her over 2000m. :wub :wub
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2018, 00:04

She'll be up for it tomorrow, barring very bad luck.

Nothing in the field can beat her..

I hope Bowman doesn't blow it... this mare isn't beatable over this distance.
So folks, if you're not doing anything else try to watch The Queen Elizabeth Stakes... at 3.05 pm SATURDAY.
She'll win the race, showing a clean pair of heels to the field, and so she should. :wub :rose
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2018, 09:47

I noticed on an add on tv this week that one of those gambling app companies is offering to double your winnings on winx ....
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2018, 20:15

The Mighty Mare, the Magnificent Winx has done it... :bgrin :bgrin :yahoo 25 straight wins....

She is without a doubt the greatest horse I've seen race. Our discussions were previously on comparisons with Black Caviar.

Umm that was topical but my own personal greatest horse ever , pre-Winx, was Makybediva . 3 Melbourne Cups , in a row, wasn't it.?
And now, we have WINX.

She is unique. She just strolled past the field.. and a shake or two of the reins, by Bowman, followed by a stroke with the stick got her focused and wow... that finish was fantastic.

She won like the champ she is.
:bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2018, 20:30

Beat me to it, just saw the report on ABC News. :bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2018, 20:34

pinkeye wrote:The Mighty Mare, the Magnificent Winx has done it... :bgrin :bgrin :yahoo 25 straight wins....

She is without a doubt the greatest horse I've seen race. Our discussions were previously on comparisons with Black Caviar.

Umm that was topical but my own personal greatest horse ever , pre-Winx, was Makybediva . 3 Melbourne Cups , in a row, wasn't it.?
And now, we have WINX.

She is unique. She just strolled past the field.. and a shake or two of the reins, by Bowman, followed by a stroke with the stick got her focused and wow... that finish was fantastic.

She won like the champ she is.
:bgrin

And that race was over one mile....Black Caviar did not have the versatility Winx seems to have, or so I was told at the Golf Club today, as I would not have a clue myself.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2018, 20:51

she has won from 1100m to 2200m.

Very unusual for a horse to do this. Black Caviar was a sprinter, 1100-1200m ..... Makybediva was a 2 miler... 3200m.

They didn't race over the same range as Winx has done.

I think she could win the Caulfield Cup in a breeze.
Even the Melbourne Cup is not beyond her.

With Chris Waller as her trainer, she could do anything. :bgrin :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 16 Apr 2018, 23:01

The Waller team have been exceptional in their performance at this level.
They have WINX, but even without her, last Saturday's racing was a real proof of their horse skills.

Their win in the Sydney Cup , over 3200 m , with Whoshotthebarman was amazing.

Really amazing. This horse has tried to win this race every year for the last 5 ? years. He's placed second twice, I think... but
this year he WINS. :bgrin

A 9 year old gelding. A real people's horse. And yes.. like many winners yesterday, a very strong KIWI connection.
Waller also won a big race earlier with Unforgettable. Perfect.!

He won for his owners 3 of the 4 Group 1 races on the day ( as in.. the big $ )

Australian/New Zealand bred thoroughbreds are really showing the world. Whether they're local sires like the great ZABEEL, and his off-spring.... from New Zealand,....... or up and coming local standing in Australia sires like I am Invincible, FastnetRock, Snitzel,...... or AI seed from US/ European stallions on local mares, or the shuttle stallions, who fly-in, fly-out to service the class mares, its a multi-million dollar business.

It's a really interesting study actually. I'm happy to say some of the young up and coming stallions have strong Aussie/NZ roots.

And,... the main reason I think, that the top earnings in Australian horse racing have been won by mares. A mare like Winx is almost priceless, for her ability to WIN. As long as she wants to race, she will win.
A stallion on the other hand, has a much shorter racing life, if they win. If they don't? they're gelded, and the owners try for money winning races, rather than stud fees.

I actually think, with her lighter racing schedule to date, this yr, that they could put Winx in the Everest. She'd win.
AND seriously, she wants to race... so I think they should give her a brief break, and a freshen,, and she'll come back and win the Everest. ( but what do I know? :roll )

The stable is saying she's now off till spring... with a 4th WS COX PLATE in sight.

What a truly amazing horse. She is magnificent, and now mature..? seriously? she can only get BETTER.!

She is 5th .. I think, on the all - time stakes earnings World Wide.
:rose :smitten :wub
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Previous

Return to Off Topic