Winx the Magnificent

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Winx the Magnificent

Postby pinkeye » 04 Nov 2017, 01:10

pinkeye wrote:I wonder when she will race next. her connections haven't said as yet, as is their wont.

Having now turned 6 years of age she is a mature (mare) horse.

Many people think horses mature earlier than that, but 6 is when they are in their prime.
Which is why I despise those who make a living racing two year olds. very few make it to maturity as a racehorse. I will name no names. Winx herself was started young... but she had the benefit of the best trainer in Mr Chris Waller.
A gentleman and a Kiwi.
:)

I briefly caught Mr Waller on the News.
At this time? not likely to race again this season. That may change if she continues to hold her superb condition.
She has so many fans.... but perhaps Waller and owners will resist that temptation.
She really has NOTHING to prove now.

The owners and trainers are the grass-roots people that form the true backbone of Australian/NZ Horse Racing.
Trainer says NO.. Trainer says... Don't want her to travel O/S. :clap :clap
Trainer says, Her well-being is more important than Racing at Ascot. :rose :rose
Trainer says,, let them come to her. :thumb :thumb
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Nov 2017, 08:20

That means—training her for the Melbourne Cup!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 Nov 2017, 00:08

HBS Guy wrote:That means—training her for the Melbourne Cup!

No dear. It doesn't mean that.

Have you heard the term 'horses for courses'.?

Her range of distances don't go to staying races, like the Melbourne Cup. At 3200 m it is 1000 metres longer than her comfortable distance. Hey.. I think she is so talented SHE COULD win the Melbourne Cup. :bgrin But NOT THIS YEAR. :bgrin
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 05 Nov 2017, 01:41

Further.. Waller has not definitely ruled out taking her to Ascot next year. I can understand why.
BUT... I don't think she travels very well. She doesn't like being in the barriers, so I can't imagine how she would be in a stall on a fkn jet for a day or so. I don't think she'd like it.!!

So now we must wait to see what happens next. It'll be a while, and I have to say

Winx the Magnificent. !!! RULES. :smitten
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2017, 06:50

Yeah, they would have to tranquilise her and god knows what that would do to Winx!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 06 Nov 2017, 02:30

Well, further to that, I think the owners are tempted to race her at Ascot. To PROVE her supremacy. Wallerdoesn't have final say. But, whatever, it will be next year now.

:rose :rose :rose :rose
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Nov 2017, 07:28

They better be careful. Could earn a lot from her progeny if they decided no point racing her here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Nov 2017, 00:22

HBS Guy wrote:They better be careful. Could earn a lot from her progeny if they decided no point racing her here.

Well it is a complicated business. Especially with a mare of her ability. They will race her again, next year. Where remains to be seen.
Her value as a brood mare is insignificant compared to her stakes winning ability. The thing about mares, and their progeny, is that she can only carry a limited number of foals.

AND it is the Stallions that make the millions in stud fees.. They have almost unlimited amounts of sperm, that can be used naturally, or through Artificial Insemination. Great Stallions command huge fees.

So it is better for the owners, and the horse, to keep her running and making money.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2017, 00:28

I suppose. If she doesn’t like the barriers the plane trip will be traumatic, I think.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Nov 2017, 00:58

HBS Guy wrote:I suppose. If she doesn’t like the barriers the plane trip will be traumatic, I think.

Yeah. It isn't something to contemplate really. We must wait and see.

Some horses travel the world to no evident harm.
One of them, is in fact, my fave for the Cup tomorrow. Ok? I've picked four horses.

That's :read to win or place............. Red Cardinal.

The others are sentimental for different reasons .... and I won't share them with you.

I won't bet tomorrow...

BUT good luck to those who do.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2017, 08:27

Oh yeah, cup day today.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2017, 10:06

I suppose. If she doesn’t like the barriers the plane trip will be traumatic, I think.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2017, 12:46

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 Nov 2017, 01:47

HBS Guy wrote:Image

Yep :bgrin for now she is living the high life. It does sound like they're going to take her to England next year.

The Melbourne Cup was a good race. Sad for the horse that was put down. Really sad. It makes me wonder, again, about Racing. BUT... humans and their endeavours leave behind destruction in their wake. Sometimes it is a beautiful talented and valuable horse. :sad :sad :sad

RACING today, may have another casualty. GINGERNUTS. Brought from NZ for the rich race today... he didn't even make it to the gates.

Haven't heard what happened yet. He was just cantering towards the gates, and then ... something happened. His owners are devastated. An ambulance came onto the course to get him. He seemed to have damage to his right off-side leg. Sad. I am afraid for him. :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad
pinkeye
Feral cat

Previous

Return to Off Topic