Winx the Magnificent

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Winx the Magnificent

Postby pinkeye » 11 Oct 2017, 01:23

Hello hello Hello.
Am going to continue the former OP topic here. So now you know who I was there. :thumb :tweed

:rose

That most magnificent racehorse, Winx , has done it AGAIN. AND in such style!! :yahoo :yahoo :bgrin
She was voted the World's Best Racehorse in 2016, and 2017 is much more of the same.
She is simply one in a billion. I have never seen a better horse.

. You have to watch that Turnbull Stakes win, over 2000m. at Flemington last Saturday. Her 21st STRAIGHT win. :clap :clap

She tagged along with the field, running in around fifth place until they came round the bend for the final straight. Hugh Bowman, her jockey, then eased out for clear running. He never moved on her, just hands and heels. Once in the straight she ambled up, passed them like they were going half-speed, and went on to win by 8 lengths. Bowman never had to do anything but give the reins a shake and she was gone. AMAZING. Truly amazing. She has run amazing times, sectionally, and is simply breathtaking.
I think SHE LIKES FLEMINGTON. She had never raced there before.

Next up, she'll be going for her third STRAIGHT WIN in the WS Cox Plate. At Moonee Valley.
She has already won two, one in race record time, and one by the greatest margin. Only one horse has won 3 Cox Plates in a row, the legendary KINGSTON TOWN, and I can't see WINX losing to anything, as long as all goes well for her in the lead up .

I'm not a punter, i love horses. I could have bet on a few quinella's and won money, but I don't support gambling, except a flutter on the Cup.
I just get such a thrill to see such magnificence. There is nothing like seeing the greatest, whatever the arena.

I look forward to her next appearance, and hope you all check out her previous wins, and get to see just what I am talking about.
cheers
:thumb
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Winx the Magnificent

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 06:23

I read Emma’s posts on Winx on OzPol and played one of the race videos. Wow, When she really runs her legs move twice as quick as those of the other horses. The only way this magnificent horse could lose is if she got boxed in by the other horses so the jockey keeps her a bit wide on the track, Have a look how she moves!

Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 Oct 2017, 01:33

:yahoo Thanks for the YouTube link.. WOW... just watched all her races..... Nothing like I have ever seen this mare.
She is just astonishing.

Hope a few others look at them and wonder at her dominance. :bgrin :bgrin
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 08:25

Yeah, nothing to do with betting (the odds just wouldn’t be worthwhile by now anyway) sheer class and power of this mare are incredible!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Redneck » 12 Oct 2017, 08:47

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, nothing to do with betting (the odds just wouldn’t be worthwhile by now anyway) sheer class and power of this mare are incredible!

Yes she is amazing, although it is funny how quickly we forget that Black Caviar won 25 straight only a few years back.
Redneck
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 09:08

Even I have heard of Black Caviar but the way this horse gallops is something else!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Redneck » 12 Oct 2017, 09:21

An interesting read!

Every minute Winx is in full motion she takes 170 strides. That's 30 more than the average racehorse, with each one about seven metres in length.

It's an unusual formula for a champion sprinter, especially when compared to the sport's greats like Black Caviar and Phar Lap, each with a stride length close to 8.5m.

"Many think the horse with a bigger stride will always win," said Dr Graeme Putt, a University of Auckland academic who has studied the science of racehorse success.

But Winx is turning conventional wisdom on its head.

As the champion mare eyes a 19th consecutive win at Royal Randwick this weekend, she has already eclipsed Phar Lap's record of 14 on the trot and is closing in on Black Caviar's all-time mark of 25.

And the secret to her success is all in a freakish stride rate, which can increase in the dying stages of a race as other horses taper off.
GIF: Winx and Black Caviar's strides side by side

As her fatigued rivals push to maintain 12 footfalls every five seconds, Winx can up the pace to 14.

"The extraordinary ability Winx has is her ability to change stride length and frequency at will that her current rivals don't have," Dr Putt said.

"This means she can settle or accelerate at any time during a race. I think this makes her unique."

Dr Putt has published research on both Phar Lap and Black Caviar, examining the mechanics of their winning strides with scientific precision.

Black Caviar was known for her acceleration and instantaneous speed, making her "both massive and the fleetest of sprinters in the equine world," according to Dr Putt.

At the peak of her career before retiring in April 2013, Black Caviar's size gave her a stride a full metre-and-a-half longer than Winx.

Similar mechanics drive the success of Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt in the 100m and 200m sprints, according to Dr Putt.

"Bolt took 41 strides to win the 2008 Olympic Beijing gold in the 100m dash — the others took 43 to 44 strides," he said.

"He had the larger stride length by about 5 per cent, but that alone did not cause him to win.

"He won because he was able to maintain the same — or maybe only 2-3 per cent less — stride frequency as the losers."

Winx's last win took her career earnings over the $13 million barrier, closing in on Makybe Diva's all-time prizemoney record of $14.52 million.

"It boils down to her anatomy and physiology, in other words the structure of her heart, her blood system and her muscles," Dr Evans said.

"She has to be built with the right muscle structure, she has to have the right amount of muscle relative to her body weight and she has to have the right type of muscle fibres.

"So not all muscle fibres are the same and she has to have the right mix of muscle fibres to enable her to sprint."

But those looking to spot a champion racehorse in the making may find it is very difficult to pick these qualities by sight in a foal.

"Back in the '80s there was enthusiasm for taking a biopsy and testing a small amount of muscle, but that didn't go anywhere because you're taking a couple of grams of muscle from a 500-kilogram horse.

"So you can't predict their sprinting ability from a tiny sample of muscle like that.

"Basically the best way to see what they can do is take them to a racetrack and test them over 400 and 600 metres and see what they can do."

Winx's ability to turn on speed at will was perhaps never more evident than at her last run in the Warwick Stakes, where she missed the start by five lengths but managed to pull off a dramatic comeback to clinch victory.

Winx caught the lead horse in the shadow of the post to win by barely a nostril in her final stride.

The performance has already drawn comparisons with Phar Lap's legendary comeback in the 1931 Futurity Stakes at Caulfield.

"Both Phar Lap and Winx were left flat-footed at the start and trailed off by about five lengths," Dr Putt recalls.

"Phar Lap's was probably more sensational because he raced hard to catch up and passed some of the tailenders only to get pocketed by other riders.

"His jockey Jim Pike had to drop him back to get out of the pocket so he could come around wide and close on the leaders.

"Phar Lap actually got to the front by about a half-length before the finish line but then had to hold off the others as he fatigued."

But even having studied the sport's greatest racehorses, Dr Putt had to concede:

"In some ways Winx's win would have been more breathtaking for observers at the course because it was only in the last stride that she won," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-01/winx-unorthodox-sprinter-taking-everything-in-stride/8858860
Redneck
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 09:32

Amazing horse! Seems her jockey understands her and the strategy and tactics to win the race with her.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 12 Oct 2017, 17:25

they are all amazing beautiful while they are winning- what about the down side to racing life for a horse? The injuries/ the dopings-
the cruel weight handicaps -the Pharlap story broke my heart
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 17:31

We are not really talking about racing. Some horses retire to stud, HM racing accidents are there? A lot more in hurdles racing.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 12 Oct 2017, 21:38

HBS Guy wrote:We are not really talking about racing. Some horses retire to stud, HM racing accidents are there? A lot more in hurdles racing.

Winx is a race horse ? and part of the racing industry- so you dont want me to comment- ok
Last edited by Cherie on 12 Oct 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 21:40

Yeah, WINX is a racehorse, a mare. When she retires I bet her progeny will sell for very good prices!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Oct 2017, 01:06

A.G wrote:they are all amazing beautiful while they are winning- what about the down side to racing life for a horse? The injuries/ the dopings-

Indeed... humans are responsible for so much pain and suffering in this world.
Horses are used and abused, I see them in my mind's eye, and in the real world .. and cry to myself at our heartlessness... :OMG . I don't deny that A.G. Like much of human endeavour, we decimate the world.
But I do know that not all people and not all horse-racing people are like that. When it becomes corporate, humanity flies out the window, just like in every other fucking human endeavour. Winxs' folk care for her and it isn't just about dollars, altho they must be on top of the world with her performances and stakes earnings. I too am upset when horses are injured or destroyed through racing. I even boycotted the Cup, after one particular incident. But I realised nothing is wholly good, nor wholly bad.

To succeed in the world where Winx is, the horse MUST love to run. That is their breeding, and their reason for being.

Winx is simply a mare like no other. I take nothing away from Black Caviar or Makybediva. They both enraptured me. But WINX? She is our newest and greatest legend. Humble beginnings, racing in the Sunshine State. Owned by a least a dozen everyday folk. She will go on ... to where..? Ask me next year.
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2017, 08:08

A.G wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:We are not really talking about racing. Some horses retire to stud, HM racing accidents are there? A lot more in hurdles racing.

Winx is a race horse ? and part of the racing industry- so you dont want me to comment- ok

Why don’t you grow up AG?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 13 Oct 2017, 16:12

HBS Guy wrote:
A.G wrote:

Why don’t you grow up AG?

You are fighting on pinks thread? My comment was on topic and relevant Monk- this is not about me -its about you being bad tempered
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2017, 16:20

Bad tempered?

You can post here so no more whinging please!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 13 Oct 2017, 16:21

pinkeye wrote:
A.G wrote:they are all amazing beautiful while they are winning- what about the down side to racing life for a horse? The injuries/ the dopings-

Horses are used and abused, I see them in my mind's eye, and in the real world .. and cry to myself at our heartlessness... :OMG . I don't deny that A.G. Like much of human endeavour, we decimate the world.
But I do know that not all people and not all horse-racing people are like that. When it becomes corporate, humanity flies out the window, just like in every other fucking human endeavour. Winxs' folk care for her and it isn't just about dollars, altho they must be on top of the world with her performances and stakes earnings. I too am upset when horses are injured or destroyed through racing. I even boycotted the Cup, after one particular incident. But I realised nothing is wholly good, nor wholly bad.

To succeed in the world where Winx is, the horse MUST love to run. That is their breeding, and their reason for being.

Winx is simply a mare like no other. I take nothing away from Black Caviar or Makybediva. They both enraptured me. But WINX? She is our newest and greatest legend. Humble beginnings, racing in the Sunshine State. Owned by a least a dozen everyday folk. She will go on ... to where..? Ask me next year.

I must admit I havent been tuned into racing now for a few years- and I used to love everything surrounding racing and backed quiet a few Melbourne cups- I will back WinX in the Cup this year - I watch races now and with dread- waiting for an accident- I find it hard to enjoy - I hope she and all race forever continues to be accident free and enjoys full health- - I had made up my mind to boycott races for good - thank's for your considered reply Pink Eye :bgrin
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby Redneck » 13 Oct 2017, 17:06

A.G wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

I must admit I havent been tuned into racing now for a few years- and I used to love everything surrounding racing and backed quiet a few Melbourne cups- I will back WinX in the Cup this year - I watch races now and with dread- waiting for an accident- I find it hard to enjoy - I hope she and all race forever continues to be accident free and enjoys full health- - I had made up my mind to boycott races for good - thank's for your considered reply Pink Eye :bgrin

She wont be in the cup, she isnt a long distance racehorse to my knowledge (which isnt a lot btw), the cup is 3200m (2 Miles)
Redneck
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2017, 17:12

No, won’t be this year, she would have to be trained to be a stayer over the distance plus the big field of horses, doubt she will ever be in the Melbourne Cup.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 01:24

It IS an interesting idea though.
The way she snoozes through most of the middle of her races, especially the longer races....I actually believe she COULD win a Melbourne Cup. :thumb :clap :rose :rose :rose

BUT, I doubt the owners and trainer are aimed that way. she has already proven herself over short to middle race lengths. Quite remarkable, how versatile she is. :smitten :smitten :smitten :rose

But the talk for next season is taking her to the Northern Hemisphere to race against the world.

We can only wait and watch. :smitten
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 01:54

Yeah. Be interesting to see.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 02:33

A.G wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

Well thank YOU.
I'm just a sucker for horses. Can't afford one.... but .. we have.............a connection with horses.. humans , I mean.

I share your hopes for accident - free racing...
but we all have to understand that life is not safe. Not for anyone.

We just have to face each day as positively as we are able.
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 02:41

Redneck wrote:An interesting read!

Every minute Winx is in full motion she takes 170 strides. That's 30 more than the average racehorse, with each one about seven metres in length.

It's an unusual formula for a champion sprinter, especially when compared to the sport's greats like Black Caviar and Phar Lap, each with a stride length close to 8.5m.

"Many think the horse with a bigger stride will always win," said Dr Graeme Putt, a University of Auckland academic who has studied the science of racehorse success.

But Winx is turning conventional wisdom on its head.

As the champion mare eyes a 19th consecutive win at Royal Randwick this weekend, she has already eclipsed Phar Lap's record of 14 on the trot and is closing in on Black Caviar's all-time mark of 25.

And the secret to her success is all in a freakish stride rate, which can increase in the dying stages of a race as other horses taper off.
GIF: Winx and Black Caviar's strides side by side

As her fatigued rivals push to maintain 12 footfalls every five seconds, Winx can up the pace to 14.

"The extraordinary ability Winx has is her ability to change stride length and frequency at will that her current rivals don't have," Dr Putt said.

"This means she can settle or accelerate at any time during a race. I think this makes her unique."

Dr Putt has published research on both Phar Lap and Black Caviar, examining the mechanics of their winning strides with scientific precision.

Black Caviar was known for her acceleration and instantaneous speed, making her "both massive and the fleetest of sprinters in the equine world," according to Dr Putt.

At the peak of her career before retiring in April 2013, Black Caviar's size gave her a stride a full metre-and-a-half longer than Winx.

Similar mechanics drive the success of Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt in the 100m and 200m sprints, according to Dr Putt.

"Bolt took 41 strides to win the 2008 Olympic Beijing gold in the 100m dash — the others took 43 to 44 strides," he said.

"He had the larger stride length by about 5 per cent, but that alone did not cause him to win.

"He won because he was able to maintain the same — or maybe only 2-3 per cent less — stride frequency as the losers."

Winx's last win took her career earnings over the $13 million barrier, closing in on Makybe Diva's all-time prizemoney record of $14.52 million.

"It boils down to her anatomy and physiology, in other words the structure of her heart, her blood system and her muscles," Dr Evans said.

"She has to be built with the right muscle structure, she has to have the right amount of muscle relative to her body weight and she has to have the right type of muscle fibres.

"So not all muscle fibres are the same and she has to have the right mix of muscle fibres to enable her to sprint."

But those looking to spot a champion racehorse in the making may find it is very difficult to pick these qualities by sight in a foal.

"Back in the '80s there was enthusiasm for taking a biopsy and testing a small amount of muscle, but that didn't go anywhere because you're taking a couple of grams of muscle from a 500-kilogram horse.

"So you can't predict their sprinting ability from a tiny sample of muscle like that.

"Basically the best way to see what they can do is take them to a racetrack and test them over 400 and 600 metres and see what they can do."

Winx's ability to turn on speed at will was perhaps never more evident than at her last run in the Warwick Stakes, where she missed the start by five lengths but managed to pull off a dramatic comeback to clinch victory.

Winx caught the lead horse in the shadow of the post to win by barely a nostril in her final stride.

The performance has already drawn comparisons with Phar Lap's legendary comeback in the 1931 Futurity Stakes at Caulfield.

"Both Phar Lap and Winx were left flat-footed at the start and trailed off by about five lengths," Dr Putt recalls.

"Phar Lap's was probably more sensational because he raced hard to catch up and passed some of the tailenders only to get pocketed by other riders.

"His jockey Jim Pike had to drop him back to get out of the pocket so he could come around wide and close on the leaders.

"Phar Lap actually got to the front by about a half-length before the finish line but then had to hold off the others as he fatigued."

But even having studied the sport's greatest racehorses, Dr Putt had to concede:

"In some ways Winx's win would have been more breathtaking for observers at the course because it was only in the last stride that she won," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-01/winx-unorthodox-sprinter-taking-everything-in-stride/8858860

That was really interesting Redneck, Thank you muchly. :) :thumb

. I just love that horse.
Hey.. :) I love horses as a genus, : )) WINX is one in 1,000,000,000.
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 23:56

Racing today didn't throw up any real opposition for the Cox Plate, as far as I could see. Mind you I didn't know the fields, etc. I watched a couple of hours free to air, and the rest of the Spring Carnival is looking interesting. :roll

I wonder how many horses will run in the 2017 W S Cox Plate.?

A fresh crop of overseas horses are just settling in. Next week will help to sift and winnow the field. :thumb
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2017, 00:37

So this weekend might throw up a contender for the W S Cox Plate.
Umm.. think I'll buy the paper, and check out the fields.

The Caulfield Cup.. and soon the Melbourne Cup will be grabbing the attention, but I KNOW there are lots of people like me who just hope all goes well for all the horses and riders.

I also KNOW Winx is in many minds.
I have been revisiting the posted YOUTUBE access to the history of Winx's win ..posted earlier this topic (well worth a look) . Simply inspiring. What she does just doesn't seem possible. :clap :clap :rose :rose :rose :rose
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Next

Return to Off Topic