Beer review

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Beer review

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Oct 2017, 17:01

It may come as a surprise to some but France has a classic beer brewing area, the Dept Du Nord and the Dept du Calais, right under the border with Belgium. Similar beers are brewed just north of that border but there is something unusual about it: this Belgian/French beer is brewed in the French speaking Walloon area—the rest are brewed in Dutch speaking flemish part of Belgium.

So, the scene is set, where is the beer?

Let us go back, oohhhhh 100 years. The farmers in Wallonia needed a beer to refresh the saisoniers, the seasonal workers who would bring in the harvest in August. A beer was needed that was low alcohol: drunken saisonniers swinging sharp scythes are not a good thing!

So, saison, a low alcohol, refreshing beer, an ale, brewed in rustic farm breweries in December. To carry the beer safely through the yeast used is a slow acting yeast, taking a month (less in the cold barns there) to finish fermenting the last few points of sugar, but taking the beer to nearly dry, no sugar left to feed bacteria. If a lactic infection happened the farmer was happy: the beer was tart by then, too acid for all but a very few bacteria. Some of the beer must have been like alcoholic malt vinegar :bgrin

I formulated a recipe for and brewed a saisson. Instead of straight malt I included a heap of spelt flakes. Original Gravity (the weight of the beer above the weight of the same volume of water) 1045, higher than a real saison. Pitched with WyeastLab saison yeast, took the saison down to 1012 in a week, Racked it to a 20L plastic “cube” which I put in the study where it kept warm for a month, gravity at bottling: 1002!

The farmers were opportunistic brewers, if something, a bag of oats or whatever was around it was likely to end up in the grist in the mash tun. Hops were English hops from across the Channel.

The beer I am sipping slowly and enjoying is French, Saison Dupont, dupont being a long time brewer of these beers.

I should mention that the alcohol content has increased since the brewing of saisons left the farms and moved to full time craft breweries. The saison is 6% abv—wouldn’t feed that to scythe wielding seasonal workers!

Not going to squint to read the fine print, you can read up here.

On pouring, the ale is slightly cloudy with yeast, nice clean-tart aroma and forms a nice head that hangs around a while—did they copy my recipe??? :bgrin Overall, nice clean fresh tasting beer of no outstanding value—probably by the time it gets here it is a bit old? Nice tho but don’t expect your palate to be raped.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Beer review

Postby Aussie » 06 Oct 2017, 17:28

Jayzuz......so much palava! Good beer in Bruges is all I know from personal experience. Carling on tap in Pommie Pubs.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Oct 2017, 18:06

It is a classic beer style and needs a bit of respect.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 07 Oct 2017, 08:04

That description would make me thirsty if it were not 7:30 am :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2017, 08:11

haha!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2017, 16:16

Another Belgian beer is Flemish Sour Brown. I will have 4 cherry trees (and plenty cheap cherries to buy until my trees bear.) I plan to freeze any cherries too yuck looking to eat, then chuck a few kilos cherries into the ale in secondary (a steel postmix keg probably) and let that go for six months.

This will make a great beer that can be cellared. Fruit beers done right are not gay but Booby IS gay!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic