Uber

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Uber

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Oct 2017, 10:45

I don't have an Uber account, but I travel in them frequently with my friends.

Must have used about 8 of them over the weekend.

I'm glad I didn't get this guy (just down the road from me):

"An Uber driver has tested positive for meth after he was pulled over in a random alcohol and drug test on Sunday afternoon.

"Breath and Drug Bus Operations were conducting the tests outside St Joachim's School in Victoria Park at around 1.30pm when officers pulled the red Hyundai Accent over."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-uber-driver-tests-positive-to-meth-in-routine-traffic-stop-20171001-gysa2q.html
greggerypeccary
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Uber

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 11:41

Next time you are in one....ask the driver if he has commercial or personal use insurance.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Oct 2017, 12:00

Aussie wrote:Next time you are in one....ask the driver if he has commercial or personal use insurance.

As long as he has compulsory third party, I don't care :bgrin

I'm not completely comfortable with using them, however, they are just SO much cheaper.

My place to the airport costs $35 to $38 in a taxi.

If I use an Uber, it costs between $8 and $12.

When I go to some local pubs/restaurants in and around Victoria Park, it usually costs me $6 to $8.

If I catch a taxi, it costs me $6 just to open the door.
greggerypeccary
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 12:04

How long does it take to be paid out on CTP?

What about if your phone is destroyed in the prang?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Oct 2017, 12:06

HBS Guy wrote: 1. How long does it take to be paid out on CTP?

2.What about if your phone is destroyed in the prang?

1. No idea.

2. Buy a new one - no biggie (or claim under my contents insurance).
greggerypeccary
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 12:20

Peccary...if his CTP Insurance is for private use only, then if you are injured, the CTP insurer can reject the claim as the vehicle was being used commercially at the time of your injury.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Oct 2017, 12:33

Aussie wrote:Peccary...if his CTP Insurance is for private use only, then if you are injured, the CTP insurer can reject the claim as the vehicle was being used commercially at the time of your injury.

All Uber vehicles in Perth have to have 3F CTP, which covers commercial passengers.
greggerypeccary
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 12:33

So it should be.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Oct 2017, 12:35

greggerypeccary
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 12:40

Apart from plates I think the insurance thing was a big nono for Über.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 12:43

greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:Peccary...if his CTP Insurance is for private use only, then if you are injured, the CTP insurer can reject the claim as the vehicle was being used commercially at the time of your injury.

All Uber vehicles in Perth have to have 3F CTP, which covers commercial passengers.

...and how do you know he has paid it? Does the vehicle have identifiable fixed rego plates so that you know it has been paid? Compare with cabs.....all have a distinctive plate issued by Transport so everyone knows all is well.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby johnsmith » 02 Oct 2017, 22:00

did I read the other day that uber drivers in QLD now need a taxi drivers license?
johnsmith
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 22:06

johnsmith wrote:did I read the other day that uber drivers in QLD now need a taxi drivers license?

They have always had a 'taxi drivers licence' more accurately called a Drivers Authority. As of October 1st, they are now also required to get some sort of other licence to operate and have it by January next year. But, it is a pittance, token cost of a couple of hundred dollars. There are other regulations which came into force on October 1, and all of that will at least add to their burden but it goes nowhere near meeting the strict requirements we have to meet.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Return to Off Topic