Scammers

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 29 Sep 2017, 15:11

ATO scammer cracks under questioning from target, launches into foul-mouthed rant

A quick-thinking Queensland lawyer has turned the tables on a scammer claiming to be from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), sending him into an expletive-ridden rant.

And he's got the audio to prove it.

...............

Scammer: Australian Taxation Office, how may I help you?
James: Oh hi, I received a call from an Alexander Lee about an outstanding tax debt.
Scammer: Yes this is Alexander Lee, how may I help you, sir?
James: I'm sorry ...
Scammer: Am I speaking to James?
James: Yeah, speaking.
Scammer: Yes James, the reason we were trying to reach you is because there is a legal lawsuit and a warrant that's been issued against your name by the Australian Taxation Office.
Scammer: So I need to have your lawyer name and number who will be able to represent you.
James: Oh OK, what's the charges?
Scammer: Sorry?
James: What's the charges?
Scammer: Charges are that you are not lodging your taxes properly ...
James: When was it due?
Scammer: It was in the year of 2014 to 2016
James: Oh OK, did you talk to my accountant?
Scammer: Why should I speak to your accountant? He's just lodging the tax that we have of you. You are responsible ...
James: So you've called my accountant have you?
Scammer: Sorry?
James: So you have called my accountant?
Scammer: No, I haven't called your accountant.
James: So why do you want to speak to my lawyer?
Scammer: Because there are legal charges against your name.
James: What are the legal charges? What act is it under? What section? What are the facts?
Scammer: Wh...
James: Where's my summons?
Scammer: What we can do is ...
James: Where's my summons?
Scammer: Listen to me mother f***er ...
James: Oh ...
Scammer: Listen to me mother f***er ... what I'm going to do is ...
James: The ATO now calls people mother f***ers?
Scammer: You are a mother f***er.
James: Oh ... so the ATO now calls people mother f***ers?
The scammer hangs up
James: Well that was fun.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/ato-scammer-cracks-under-questioning-queensland-lawyer/9000132



I haven't had the ATO one yet, but I always get the telstra one quite a bit

As soon as they tell me they're calling from 'Telstra technical dept.' I start into them demanding a refund cause my internet keeps dropping off. I must have had the same guy cause he called me a mother fucker too. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Sep 2017, 15:16

Well, I screamed at Telstra and got a couple hundred credited out of my account plus a $510 credit.

Creative screaming.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Scammers

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Sep 2017, 15:21

Low-life scum.

How do people like that sleep at night?

"What are the legal charges? What act is it under? What section?" :bgrin
greggerypeccary
mountain lion
 
Posts: 908
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby BigOl64 » 30 Sep 2017, 10:45

I received the ATO scam phone call the other day, just wondering why the Feds can't trace (02) 6145 0311 to the building it is being operated from and at least have a fucking chat with them.


It seems to be ones of the easiest fraud arrests that could be made in this country. :roll :roll
User avatar
BigOl64
Feral cat
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 11:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 30 Sep 2017, 10:49

BigOl64 wrote:I received the ATO scam phone call the other day, just wondering why the Feds can't trace (02) 6145 0311 to the building it is being operated from and at least have a fucking chat with them.


It seems to be ones of the easiest fraud arrests that could be made in this country. :roll :roll


I suspect the call is being routed through a local number, but it originates from overseas.
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Sep 2017, 10:50

Doubt it would be that easy, BigOle. . .

I used to get the “This is about your Windows computer. . .” and I would stuff them up by saying I would did not have a Windows computer (and I didn’t, all Mac since 1985.)

One time I thought I would play along, played dumb (yeah yeah, easy for me to do) and faking doing their instructions and giving bullshit answers and saying they were a scam I got someone else. Played along until they wanted me to download and install a bit of software—for remote control of my computer!

Told them someone was ringing the cops to trace the call <Click!> No calls since.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Scammers

Postby Redneck » 30 Sep 2017, 11:23

johnsmith wrote:
BigOl64 wrote:I received the ATO scam phone call the other day, just wondering why the Feds can't trace (02) 6145 0311 to the building it is being operated from and at least have a fucking chat with them.


It seems to be ones of the easiest fraud arrests that could be made in this country. :roll :roll


I suspect the call is being routed through a local number, but it originates from overseas.


No they come from OS and forward a false CLI (Calling Number Id ) so they are untraceable.

Yeah can do a similar thing with Skype, you can send texts from Skype showing any number you wish as the sender.

I quite often text my kids from Skype and it shows my mobile number sent it.
User avatar
Redneck
Feral cat
 
Posts: 206
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 19:50
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby BigOl64 » 30 Sep 2017, 12:53

HBS Guy wrote:Doubt it would be that easy, BigOle. . .

I used to get the “This is about your Windows computer. . .” and I would stuff them up by saying I would did not have a Windows computer (and I didn’t, all Mac since 1985.)

One time I thought I would play along, played dumb (yeah yeah, easy for me to do) and faking doing their instructions and giving bullshit answers and saying they were a scam I got someone else. Played along until they wanted me to download and install a bit of software—for remote control of my computer!

Told them someone was ringing the cops to trace the call <Click!> No calls since.



I have had a few call from the windows mob, they do hang on for a long time before they hang up.

The other lot with the car crash verification are fucken hopeless, I abused some bitch for like 10 minutes before she hung up, I know it is rare for me to abuse the fuck out of someone, but it was the forth time they called me.

I can see how the less than cynical get caught up with these clowns.
User avatar
BigOl64
Feral cat
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 11:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 30 Sep 2017, 17:45

BigOl64 wrote: I know it is rare for me to abuse the fuck out of someone,


:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

you make me look like an amateur.
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 05 Oct 2017, 20:08

Just had the 'allo I'm calling from telstra technical department' call again

My complaints about my internet dropping off this time lasted less than 10 seconds before he hung up on me.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2017, 20:12

Must remember that, if they ever ring again.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 05 Oct 2017, 20:14

HBS Guy wrote:Must remember that, if they ever ring again.



I think the call centre has given it's staff a brief on it and they expect it now. The first few times the person uummed and aarrrd for a while before hanging up, now they don't even flinch.
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Scammers

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2017, 20:19

Will be interesting if “my old ISP” rings, given I am not with them anymore :jump
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Scammers

Postby johnsmith » 05 Oct 2017, 21:51

HBS Guy wrote:Will be interesting if “my old ISP” rings, given I am not with them anymore :jump


it's not any ISP ... they claim they're from telstra technical but they're only scammers pretending to be. Thats why when you start complaining about the service, they run away.
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests