Peter Fitzsimons “Tobruk”

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Peter Fitzsimons “Tobruk”

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Mar 2017, 12:06

Reading about the lead up to and the siege of Tobruk. Interesting.

Firstly: Menzies was a useless clown! No wonder the two Independents changed their support from the UAP to the ALP and Australia got its best PM bar none. Menzies could not get a single plane, ship or tank from Churchill for the defence of Australia. Compare this to irascible Billy Hughes who demanded against Woodrow Wilson and the assembled diplomats that Australia get New Guinnea. We, of course, were given NG.

Peter is pretty much against the adventure in Greece that denuded North Africa of men, planes and transport. But it could well be that the Germans invading Greece delayed the invasion of Russia meaning that got bogged down in winter short of where they could have been had they invaded as soon as conditions were favorable. It meant a pretty close run in Egypt etc!

General Morshead was called “Ming the Merciless” by his men—a sign of praise for their general. Ming the Merciless was a comic strip from that time. Ginger Meggs even gets a mention in the book.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Peter Fitzsimons “Tobruk”

Postby Lefty » 01 Apr 2017, 08:10

Ah yes, I remember Ming the Merciless from "Flash Gordon". It was the first movie I ever went to the cinema to watch - I don't think grandma realized how full-on it was before she took me :jump

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 08:42

ahahaha poor old grandma!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 01 Apr 2017, 09:24

Yeah, frightened the shit out of her I think :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 09:38

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 00:07

Just bought two Jeeves and Wooster books and “To Kill a Mockingbird” from Book Depository. all half price, 3 books $28 inc postage!

I don’t mind the Wodehouse stuff but the world he describes ended 100 years ago (if not then did in 1930 with the crash.) I loved the film “To Kill a Mockingbird” and hope I will like the book even more.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic