Fossicking thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Fossicking thread

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2017, 10:57

Definitely going to need some inbuilt shelving/bookcases!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2017, 13:01

This is what a bookpress looks like:

Put the cover and pages of a book in the press, press it down tight, glue and sew the book together.

And this is what a bookpress table looks like:

My table is amazingly similar, just slightly lighter colored wood. Two little drawers nicely made. The legs are splayed not for strength I reckon—from the weight of the press etc! The legs on my table are splayed a bit outwards—not for strength but for stability.

Be great as a bedside table, room for a radio and light, nice and compact. If stuck in bed with a cold or whatever—pop the two dropsides up—room for jug and glass of water, medicine etc, books etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Sep 2017, 01:29

Paid for the table, fukkit, too big to fit in the Mazda—pisspoor bootspace its major bummer IMHO. It will be delivered for free on Wednesday.

Saw some jam labels there, got two: Orleans Plum and Melon and Lemon. These are labels (unused) from WWII. Not glossy, rather plain. And a bit exotic, like, WTF is an Orleans Plum???? I also got a VIKING label, not from WWII but WTF were Viking Jams???

Will get them mounted and framed, be a nice bit of color in my kitchen.

Put the lovely brass + smoked glass shade oil lamp on layby.

Nice meal at Angas Plains. Did ask for a glass of their tawny port but the waittress agreed with me, all sugar and spirit, not a good tawny. Oh well. It had some caramel notes but, nah. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 06:54

Neat looking piece of equipment that bookpress. Looks like it could be heated up and used as a toasted sandwich press as well :jump

Took the two young blokes digging yesterday, they found quite a lot of stuff including some nice little specimens and probably a few bits with nice, deep purple colour and probable faceting potential. I'll facet one for the one who is heading back to Tassie (lives in Hobart not in the north).

Really must get a digital camera working again. Phukked if I know where I put the battery charger for this one.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 07:00

Take a bit of bloody heat to heat the press but you could get nice THIN toasted sandwhiches!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 08:48

Paper thin! :purple
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 09:06

I was actually looking to see what a bookpress would cost—over $300! Too dear for me else would have bought one, little display (with printers case, lead and large wooden type.) But I like the table I bought. With a pine or Western Red cedar bedframe, maybe a big pine or cedar chest to store quilts etc over summer will look great!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 09:14

Yeah, it is a nice-looking unit.

Okay, better go and sort out these crystals for these young blokes. I'm going to try and find a facettable piece among it to cut and give to the bloke who is heading back to tassie next Sunday. The boys unearthed about 2 kilos of quartz pieces and crystals, almost all of which - as usual - are not faceting grade. Some nice looking specimens though.

He had the best looking few in a little bottle - before I could say "don't!", he tipped the little bottle into the bucket with kilos of junk in it - now I have to through the whole lot to find out what is what :b :bgrin

Catch you later.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 09:20

Oh dear :roll :bgrin

Cheers Lefty!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 26 Sep 2017, 08:21

Went out to the field and pulled out the claim posts - the money has been reimbursed.

In hindsight, I think the greenies might have actually (inadvertently and accidentally) done us a favour - the spot seems to be very hungry ground. The stone is there...but only in tiny, widely-separated little pockets. You and I were just lucky to hit the remains of one that someone had dug out. Strange ground, all the right ingredients are there - the big billy boulders, the stream-worn quartz pebbles, heavies like red, yellow and brown ironstones.....the only thing missing is the sapphires and zircons. Even black spinel seems rare, which is not a good sign. Wandered all the old mullock heaps in the area. I used to pick up heaps of little chips off the heaps at Russian gully and other spots on the field when I was a kid. But the old heaps here seem devoid even of tiny chips. Not a good sign either.

Remember that God-botherer out there? He's gone as well, posts have been pulled up and that little shanty removed.

Old Bluey told me that he came up to that are when he first moved to the field and scratched around but found the same thing - the wash looks good but does not seem to contain any stone. Greg found an area like that when he had the lease out there years ago. Said it was fantastic-looking stuff, replete with big billies, stream-worn quartzes and ironstones, globs of volcanic ash etc. They spent the day putting through some significant cubic meterage of the stuff since they were using an excavaor. At the end of the day, the pulsator yeilded virtually nothing.

As they say out there......the stones are where you find them. I'll peg again someday for sure! But it'll be after I've had the time to spend a week or two scratching around to get a better feel for how much stone might be there.

Called past the Springsure labrodorite deposit and got half a bottle of pieces. Two big 40-odd carat pieces plus a couple of pieces that definately fit the bill of "moonstone". Cabbed one last night, shows quite a strong shiller effect, though it is a silver flash rather than a blue one (can just see a very faint tinge of blue to it.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 11:09

Just bought this bit of fat lava pottery:

$30 inc postage, pretty good.

I will need a BIG display cabinet in Tassie :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 11:25

Been thinking about this cast iron lacework.

Not having a verandah in Tassie, want all the sun there is!

Thinking that after cleaning it up, minor repair—press the pieces into the last coat of render on a wall. Would look good. Or make a small porch by the front door, use the two corners and frieze to frame that. The other corner can go by the back door maybe.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Oct 2017, 07:37

Not having a verandah in Tassie, want all the sun there is!

MIL lived in Tassie a couple of years before wife was born, says they actually do get heatwaves in some places - but the heat simply doesn't last like it does on the mainland.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 07:43

And the insulation power of strawbale should take care of it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Oct 2017, 07:44

Well and truly!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 07:47

I will have some shade on the northern side—a high trellis with wisteria growing up one side and dwarf apple trees espaliered on the other. Should do.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 13:53

Would love to buy this:

But have to keep the money for my house.

Anybody care to say what it is? (Porcelain and chinese)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 03 Oct 2017, 14:29

At the rate you are buying stuff, I doubt Tasmania itself is gonna be big enough to cope with it all.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 14:31

Rate I am not buying stuff you mean. Did buy a hall stand and bedside (ex book press) table but that is crap I need. Looking for a side table for nibblies and drinkypoos there.

The plate has two birds on it. Think back to chinese restaurants you have been to, the birds are ________ ?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 14:38

Would love to buy this too:

Liverpool softpaste porcelain, 18thC. Fairly rare.

I wipe a tear away and move on.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 14:42

The charger has two phoenix. Supposed to have dragons too but stuffed if I can see them.

Chinese dragons (wingless) are a propitious sign. Wesh dragons are kinda the opposite.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 15:11

That charger is supposed to be Ming.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2017, 18:26

What a great fucking afternoon I had!

Feeling better and better (still the odd loss of balance) I decided a nice drive would be the thing to ward off the rising cabin fever. Thought: Clarendon not too far away, nice antique shop there, Lets Go!

Go we did. Hadn’t been to the shop for a while, damn! a painting I had been thinking of buying—sold! Didn’t care that much really (WAAAHHHHH! there, all out of my system.)

This shop has a lot of Scandinavian stuff, esp Norwegian. All very nice, prices maybe a tad on the high side but the quality is there in spades. Just for the hell of it, bought a nice piece of Japanese art pottery with a great crackle glaze. OK, out the shop, don’t wanna go home, further south we went!

Goolwa? OK! Vroom! Uhhh sign to Strathalbyn. OK, Strath it is. Nice drive, everything green, wattle in full bloom and could enjoy it—most of the way was 80kmh. Thought “Nah, Thursday, most of the antique shops shut till tomorrow. Pull into the carpark “YEAH baby, my fave shop is OPEN!”

Hmmm went in, the usual chit chat. Nice lady runs the shop—Trumpy would run screaming from the shop, the lady there REALLY knows the art of the deal! Tough (but not unreasonable) negotiator.

Just about to leave and I saw it :smitten at first sight. What is it? A small pine cupboard, probably a bedside table with an open compartment where the <unmentionable> went with a drawer and a cupboard compartment. The top is bare pine, waxed to a nice sheen.

Now, this piece was not rustic, was not “distressed antique” but it had taken a step or two down that path, get me? PERFECT for in a conservatory or outside in a sheltered position. Bought it, just $85!

Now sipping a Coopers Sparkling Ale, relaxing after a VERY pleasant afternoon, an afternoon of freedom, not an afternoon cooped inside. Aaahhhhh!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 05 Oct 2017, 20:01

this is lovely- and what I would dearly lovve to get my hands on is an old fashoioned Singer Sewing Machine treddle version- my grandma used to have one
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2017, 20:07

Have a look on Ebay.

I see plenty of old sewing machine tables, some with sewing machines!

Strathalbyn has a heap of antique shops—not exactly handy to you I know. Estate sales?

PM me as much detail as you can, I will keep my eyes out when in an antique shop. That does discommodate the shop keepers etc but too bad! I also tend to bump into things, walls etc :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic