Fossicking thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Fossicking thread

Postby Lefty » 31 Jan 2018, 07:53

Fossicking partner and his brother went detecting yesterday. They didn't find any gold but they found this......

Not a toy, she's real! Fossicking partners brother took it to the police to see if he could keep it as an artifact.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2018, 10:23

Is that a gun? Was it a gun more like. Wonder what it was doing there?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Feb 2018, 21:39

Been looking at fat lava for sale on Ebay.

Some lovely pieces there but I must be firm: keep the dosh safe for the block/house.

Have a few but looking for better ones—one day:

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Feb 2018, 06:41

Oh dear, got tempted and bid on 3 lots—still the winning bidder. :oops

Ah well, dearest item is like $42, rest below $10 and from the same seller—big saving on postage!

Nice items—and from the 1950s! One piece made in a studio, another a good factory etc.

Maybe I will get it sent to Tassie?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Feb 2018, 18:18

Hmmm last weekend I bought a model trolley bus by Corgi. Today I bought. . .a model double decker trolley bus made by Corgi.

Really—too perfect, I prefer the model cars to show signs of having been used and enjoyed, never mind, all good.

Trolley buses are electric buses, taking power from overhead power lines like trams and electric trains. I used to catch one down Port Rd in the 60s. Beautiful smoooooth ride. Really, as more and more renewable energy is installed and comes on line there is less and less justification for dirty, rattling, particulate emissions–belching diesel buses in big cities. OK, rant over.

Also bought a model trailer to go with the magnificent model tractor that is my avatar just now and a late 19th century chocolate tin. Another, big tin—talk about that tomorrow will just say—historical as fuck!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic