Fossicking thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Fossicking thread

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2017, 17:37

A lovely day, well, several hours, spent at the Adelaide Antiques Fair.

Bought a nice lolly tin, join some other tins on the top shelf of the kitchen dresser in Tassie: want the kitchen to be a warm, welcoming place else I will end up living off sandwiches!

Bought some books, quite cheap.

Mulga Bill’s Bicycle Great niece is starting primary school next year, Mulga Bill might be a nice book to give her for her birthday in late May. Kipling’s “Just So Stories” and a copy of “The Wind in the Willows” with color plates. Going to keep that one, reckon my paperback version might find its way to a greatnephew.

Fat lava. Yeah! Got a wide flat sort of flask made by Carsten’s and an elegantly shaped and decorated/glazed vase by Scheurich. I tend to avoid pieces by Scheurich because they churned them out at a record fast rate but this piece is early (1950s) and is very nice.

The last and most expensive piece, a coffee can by Worcester in the Aesthetic Movement era, roughly 1860 to 1890 (Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts sort of took over from Aesthetic Movement.) I like pieces from that time, need to visit Strathalbyn this weekend to pay for and pick up an Aesthetic Movement teapot (Just $25, they go for much more than that on Ebay!!! sshhhhh!!!)

Aesthetic Movement, Art for Arts sake. With a huge input of Japanese imports to UK and Europe etc. In 1850 US Commodore Perry sailed into Tokyo Bay and threatened to bombard it if the Japanese did not open up to Western culture. This flood of Japanese cultural items to the West saw a response, the Aesthetic Movement.

I might do a photo essay using the pieces I have of the aesthetic movement.

In the mid 1700s there were three English porcelain factories: Bow, Chelsea and Derby plus Worcester. I put Worcester in a separate category: using information from an earlier, unsuccessful porcelain factory Worcester incorporated some soapstone in their formula for (softpaste) porcelain, Derby/Chelsea/Bow didn’t. Consequently, you could put tea leaves in a Worcester teapot in 1751 and pour in boiling water and make tea. A chelsea/Bow/Derby teapot would <shatter> if you poured boiling water into it.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 04:34

My Carstens Tonnieshof vase:

Look great in my conservatory with some dried water reeds or bullrushes in it!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 04:44

Worcester Aesthetic Movement coffee can:

Note: No border on cup or saucer, almost random placement of elements of decoration. Leaves—bamboo, also a fan partly seen on the cup.

This is the Scheurich made fat lava piece I bought last Friday:

Quite restrained in color and glaze—some of the later Scheurich pieces look like ads for slasher films!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Nov 2017, 23:41

I bought a pot like this:

but more purple. Chinese neighbor visited last night and I showed her my new teapots. The purple pot, well used, she said was the more original.

I have an old Chinese pipe, will take and upload a picture, guess what was smoked in the pipe :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Nov 2017, 18:01

Nice drive/shopping trip today.

wow, even Mum was ready on time, we were on the road by 9.30am. That is EARLY when you are retired!!!

Nice breakfast just outside Mt Compass. Very nice toasted cheese, ham & tomato sandwich. On white bread :oops better specify something better next time!

Further down Victor Harbor Rd we travelled, then a left onto the scenic route: the lookout gives you a nice look aver Goolwa, the lower Murray River and the upper Coorong. No camera or binoculars, on we go!!!

Into Pt Elliot: FUCK!!! the good antique shop is shut {sob} so have a look at the Bargain Bin, bought a book. $5, on the life of Eric Sykes, UK comedian, gave Spike Milligan a lesson in plot construction for that seminal series: The Goon Show! Also, a fat volume of Mrs Beeton’s Manual of Household Management! A fucking steal at $20!

Also bought a nice old tin in Pt Elliot, car motif in the decoration. Just $15.

On to Strathalbyn! (Yes, a day of “onto’s” so fucking what dickhead?)

Hmmmmm!!! My fave (and smallest) shop there had two Victorian era copper jelly molds, $165 and $260 each! Put the cheapest one on layby! These things are normally like $400!!! There was another one there, $265, if that is still for sale next weekend I will fucking put that on layby too! cheap at the price, will look good hanging in my kitchen, copper brightly polished!

There is a nice copper jam pan too, bit pricy but a LOT of copper in it. (Pssst, if I don’t land that one I was told two more are in the container heading to that shop.) Be lovely, lots bright warm gleams of polished copper in my kitchen!

After having a look at a couple of other shops, went to the one I had a lovely, elegant, brass oil lamp on layby. Paid the layby off. Will take a pic of it tomorrow. Tall, elegant, vaseline glass shade. Will take and post a pic tomorrow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Nov 2017, 17:35

Another lovely day today.

Went first to McLaren Vale to have brunch at Bracegirdles. Hmmm Iced coffee the way it SHOULD be done and a decent, freshly made fruit salad. Onto Strathalbyn. Yes, yes, another “on to” day! Paid $50 off my copper jelly mold, and put the other copper jelly mold on layby too. TWO fucking Victorian–era copper jelly molds for the price of one, basically! Will get them properly cleaned then retinned: they will be nice furniture in my kitchen and I will use them to make adult jellies, some will be alcoholic, some not but all a lot of grades above Aeroplane jelly kidstuff!

There was a jam pan there which I lusted after but I know the proprietress has two more coming so that can wait. Be fucking groovy tho: lots of lovely warm gleaming copper in my Tassie kitchen: copper kettle, dipper, jelly molds, jam pan. Almost Dickensian. To complete it—a woodburning stove and oven. Dunno if I will go that far—but I might!

After antique hunting—hell it isn’t even afternoon yet (just as I planned) so we go—to the Langhorne Creek wine area. Potts Bleasdale, oh some nice wine was tasted, also some pinot grigio, can’t take to it. Can’t blame the winemakers and vignerons: the world is heating up and heat–resistant winegrapes have to replace more traditional varieties.

Bought two 2015 Verdelho, a Portuguese variety grown for a long time here. Very nice white wine grape. Also bought a 375ml sparkling shiraz. Will be back there Sat week—warehouse sale! Oh yeah!

After Langhorne creek, off to niece and grandniece and a very pleasant couple of hours!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic