Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2019, 16:23

Slightly darker than I like stollen out the oven and dressed with melted butter and icing sugar.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2019, 05:58

Christmas Day in the Riverland. The nice chicken and veal schnitzel I had made—waterlogged from melted ice in the esky. Try and find takeaway places—all shut. Roadhouse of the service station at Blanchetown was open—45 minute drive away, just drove for four hours so not appealing but an option. Reluctantly—McDonalds was open and it was by a service station.

So drive, fill up with petrol, while inside paying for the petrol looked for McDonalds, was all Hungry Jack then spotted McD, across a little side road from the servo.

Decided on cheeseburgers and a green salad plus a frozen treat. Dear god, this is big business? A tiny bun, fluorescent orange cheese, very ordinary salad and an oversweet “frozen treat.” Last time before this “experience” I am sure the buns were bigger. Hopefully—no next time!

i threw the schnitzels and the containers I put them in in the rubbish bin at the caravan park. Bloody useless things!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2019, 06:03

Be off to the market soon. Want some blueberries and raspberries, make a marbled jelly with a cardamom blancmange as the base.

Recipe from: Jellymongers: Glow-in-the-Dark Jelly, Titanic Jelly, Flaming Jelly by the World's Foremost Purveyors Bompas & Parr.

Real jellies made with sheet gelatin. Not kid stuff made with brightly colored crystals, yuck.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2020, 07:24

Well, I reckon I will get ready and wander down to Holm Oak winery to do some tasting, maybe some buying and maybe some BBQ to eat:

BIRD & HERD
Our friends at Bird n’ Nerd BBQ are back and will be cooking up some succulent American style goodness at Holm Oak’s cellar door on the following weekends:

Saturday 4 January and Sunday 5 January

https://www.holmoakvineyards.com.au/cellar-door/

On the way back stop at Bunnings in Launceston and load up on bags of gypsum. That won’t stop, need to re-gypsum every 3 years, this lot is just for local application around the cherry and apple etc trees around the two pergolas and where the vines will go by the back fences. Also on a couple 20cm deep cracks in the soil : been quite dry in Tassie I suspect. Under the dry layer—plenty of moisture! :WTF
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2020, 18:53

Bit of a scratch dinner:lamb chops, pork chops broad beans! Yes, still going down here! And bok choy.

Tastes OK!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2020, 11:57

Just made Mum and me coffee using our coffee machine and the little yellow Harlequin cups by Wedgewood.

Good strong coffee flavor—more coffee liquid than milk! I find a tiny tsp sugar makes this a perfect strong coffee.

Like the cups too:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 17:20

A nice solid cake for breakfast on lazy mornings or elevenses or taking on a trip:

http://www.nederlands-dis.nl/basis/snoeperij/gemberkoek/

Ginger cake—the page will translate into English easy enough. A form of onbijtkoek.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 04 Feb 2020, 18:18

I did sous vide (salmon) in the Thermomix tonite.
First time I have cooked in a plastic sealed bag.
Didn’t know what to expect, but the salmon was so tender and fluffy when cut.
I’m getting more adventurous with the Thermomix
:bgrin
I made pumpkin soup in it the other day, my friend pops in to visit and I offered her some.
She winces (like a kid that doesnt like veges) and says just a tiny bit.
I did so.
She polished it up so well, I asked if she would like more.
She opened her eyes and eagerly says yes.

What I love about thermie is it times and stirs and heats it all for me.
Way to go, future minimalistic kitchen.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 18:29

But does it make gemberkoek?

Yeah, I want a thermomix!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2020, 14:09

Gorgeous lunch at D’Arenberg’s Verandah restaurant. We got a glass of bubbly on the house, nice start to the meal!

Main and desert for me. Elderflower pannacotta, so yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2020, 06:09

Planting three edible (+1 ornamental) crab apple trees so better figure out what to do with the fruit!

They can go into cider no probs.

But they can also make crabapple jelly, a lovely clear tart jelly. Will start with this recipe:

https://learningandyearning.com/crabapple-jelly

There is also a thing called fruit butter and apple butter is the king of these. A fruit butter is fruit boiled down until it has the consistency of soft butter (quince paste can be considered a fruit cheese.) With apples load the butter with spices, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon seeds/pods, star anise stars, freshly grated nutmeg etc etc.

Lots of recipes that tell you to include an orange, lots sugar etc. Nah!

I bring an inch of apple juice (or water) to the boil in a large pan and add the apples, washed and cut into quarters or eights etc depending on size. Leave skin and cores in—they provide the pectin to set the butter. Cook until the apples collapse, about 20-30 minute and pass the fruit through a moulie to turn the apples into pulp leaving the skins and pips behind. Add the spices, loose or in a bag or powdered in a coffee grinder etc. Pour into a slow cooker and cook, stirring occasionally until the mass mounds on a teaspoon and shows no ring of moisture when a tsp of it is put on a ceramic saucer. Fill into jars, water bath process 10 minutes—enjoy!

On a slice of bread or toast, heavenly! Really boosts the flavor of a bowl of oatmeal, on a pork chop or roast, heavenly! I “fry” (heat) kassler chops in apple butter oh my goodness so good!

Including some crabapples in the mix will boost the pectin and flavor!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2020, 08:52

I am going to make a Dutch gemberkoek (ginger bread/cake) and use it as the basis for a trifle to serve at Mum’s birthday party Saturday week. Foun d a Woman’s Weekly recipe:

Oh my gosh! Tin of peaches? Jelly Crystals? Custard powder? Nah, stew some peaches or other fruit, gentle bit of spice, jelly made from gelatin sheets and will make a real custard from milk and eggs etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Feb 2020, 18:45

Ahahah made the birthday “girl” a nice birthday dinner, 3 courses.

Used her dinner set, bought in the 60s or early 70s at the latest, not sure she has ever used it—quite a bit got broken but for two there is enough: b&b plate, entree plate, dinner plate, bowls and some teacups and saucers (no coffee cups tho.) She loved it!

Dinner was OK but I found the mushrooms (mushroom risotto) really totally tasteless. Bought them at a stall at the Adelaide (Showgrounds) Farmers Market. Not going to that stall again! I also used the silver(plated) cutlery and crystal glasses. You only turn 99 once and most do not get there!

Dragged out of school by her father to work for his brother’s ice cream business—she HATED giving up school. Holland, like Australia, did 100% the wrong thing in the Great Depression so life was grindingly hard and then the bloody Germans invaded. Heh, Mum did her bit, leading German soldiers on a bit then leaving :bgrin She also wore a brooch with the Dutch coat of arms and the motto “Je maintaindre” (I maintain.) DDay, then the disastrous Arnhem battle (Operation Market Garden) and the Germans were stripping everything and sending it to Germany.) Mum was literally starving—her fucking mother in law was drawing the rations Dad was entitled to (Dad was in Germany doing forced Labor for nazis in Spandau)—but Mum went there and got a big bag of brown beans and a bag of tulip bulbs to tide her to the end of the war. Her mother gave her the key to the pantry saying “You can say no, I can’t.”

Tulip bulbs burn the throat she told me. I will take her word for it.

End of the war, a friend met her in town and pointed out a house where German sympathisers lived—Mum noticed an empty house nearby—by the end of that day she had a lease on it. Years long waiting lists—Mum found a house. During the war no construction took place, of course, and suddenly you had these hordes of former forced laborers coming back and wanting houses! Mum got one!

She was the first in the family to buy their own house. Worked for 13 years as a tealady to help pay the house off (and help put me through Uni.)

And today she turned 99! Still reasonably fit and it is like her memory is coming back tho physically getting frailer.

Tomorrow—I shout her lunch at the Salopian Inn.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 24 Feb 2020, 03:39

Oh that is very moving Monk.

So easy to forget the acts that made our world today.. especially as those who remember are slowly but surely, leaving us... to our current world... without their grace and courage to inform us. .

We are sorely lessened by their passing, and the fact that YOU and YOUR MOTHER
were together to experience that Birthday is just wonderful to hear.
Well done.. you do understand....
Take Joy where you can.

As should we all.

All best wishes and love to your Mum.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Feb 2020, 05:00

Yes a great story and congratulations to your mum :rose
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Feb 2020, 15:53

I showed her your messages on the iPhone during the lunch. Had to explain who you were but she was touched by your well wishes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 Feb 2020, 17:51

Happy 99th to your mum. :rose :rose
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby pinkeye » 24 Feb 2020, 22:04

thanks Monk, I'm glad you shared it with her.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Feb 2020, 08:27

Was a nice lunch too, shared a five spice duck plus roasted potatoes and a green salad (keep up the leafy green uptake, the single best thing to prevent or delay/slow dementia. A measurable difference.

I count herbs—mint, basil, parsley etc as leafy greens. Nettles would be too. Veges like spinach (I just wilt it these days) and lettuce, endive and of course the brassica family esp cabbage incl red cabbage, kale and broccoli. Beetroot—the leaves—and silver beet (all in the chard family with spinach) Turnip is a brassica, can eat the leaves. Fennel fronds/stems (bulb is the main part, delicious and versatile.) Eat a bowl of leafy greens everyday!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 25 Feb 2020, 22:07

I could go a spicy duck about now. :bgrin
Yum
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Feb 2020, 23:39

With a bowl of leafy greens!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Feb 2020, 23:40

The dessert :OMG deelish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 26 Feb 2020, 00:00

:bgrin

No dessert for me … I'm sweet enough.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Feb 2020, 11:36

If your last course was a savory one you have not finished the meal.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 26 Feb 2020, 13:16

Here's a few little facts which show you the truth of what the normal junk food contaminated diet is dong to humans.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... en-80.html

"Women who drink just two cups of milk a day may be at an 80 per cent increased risk of breast cancer, a major study suggests.

The NHS recommends adults consume lots of cow's milk because it is rich in protein and calcium, while current US dietary guidelines advise three cups of milk per day.

But researchers from the Loma Linda University in California say these recommendations should be 'viewed with caution'.

They looked at 53,000 women over eight years and found consuming even a small amount of milk every day was linked to a spike in the prevalence of breast cancer.

A third of a cup, the equivalent of a small latte, was associated with a 30 per cent increased risk, while for a full cup a day (240ml) it was 50 per cent.

For those drinking two to three cups per day, it soared to between 70 and 80 per cent.

While the study was an observational one and cannot prove a cause, scientists believe a hormone present in cow's milk may be to blame."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... mmers.html

"Worsening diets could be the reason behind plummeting sperm counts in men, a study has suggested.

US researchers found young men who ate a diet full of junk food had significantly less swimmers than those who ate healthily.

The team analysed sperm quality of almost 3,000 Danish men, who also reported their typical eating habits.

Lovers of pizza, fries, and sugary desserts had a 25 per cent lower sperm count than those who ate plenty of fruit, vegetables and fish."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... icals.html

"Australian consumers may unwittingly be eating beef containing dangerously high levels of cancer-causing chemicals.

New South Wales cattle farmer Alastair McLaren is certain others in the industry are selling cows to butchers and supermarkets which have been exposed to toxins through the land they graze on.

He believes farmers have received the wrong information regarding supplying the cattle to be used as food, 9News reported.

Mr McLaren's own herd of cows were exposed to high levels of PFAS, PFOS and PFOA through the soil on his Richmond farm in west Sydney, near the Royal Australian Air Force base.

The chemicals have been linked to increased cancer risk in animals in the past, but there is not yet enough information to confirm whether this risk is passed onto humans. "
Dax
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic