Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 00:49

well, in Australia it is important to understand the wildlife, if you want to eat it.
:roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 00:53

ah yes I recognise Moussaka, but it's a Greek dish.
Just ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE CROSS-BORDER (oops) influences.

I love Moussaka... but haven't had any for years and years. not many Greek, or Bulgarian restaurants in my area. Probably none actually, but (sigh) I remember when I lived in Melbourne....... the last time I had Moussaka. Several decades ago.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 01:05

pinkeye wrote:ah yes I recognise Moussaka, but it's a Greek dish.
Just ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE CROSS-BORDER (oops) influences.

I love Moussaka... but haven't had any for years and years. not many Greek, or Bulgarian restaurants in my area. Probably none actually, but (sigh) I remember when I lived in Melbourne....... the last time I had Moussaka. Several decades ago.

Yogurt is not "cross border". It's simply Bulgarian, and so is the Cyrillic letterings.

With Musaka, you won't see me argue. It's Greek. But there's something you don't know! Greek Moussaka is disgusting. It has aubergines. I hate aubergine. It tastes like shit. Bulgarian Musaka is way better. It has no eggplants. Trust the Bulgarian on that. :thumb I had a restaurant, it was family business. We had an Italian Chef and I also cooked with him for fun, he taught me a lot of stuff. :thumb
fisherman

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 01:18

And talking 'bout eating, I'm just grabbing my lunch. Can you recognize what that is?

Photos I just took:
(This is the most delicious food on Earth. Homemade too.)

Cheers, Aussie. Take some bite, mate. Pinkeye, don't be shy. You too.
fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 01:20

look like Dolmades to me.

Yum
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 01:25

pinkeye wrote:look like Dolmades to me.

Yum

Not sure what that is but it has rice and minced meat inside (beef + pork mix). Lemon + Bulgarian milk is fine on top. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako) and I'm too lazy to go to the store to get some. So I'll be just eating it raw.
fisherman

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2018, 02:38

Dolmades, yup. Rice and other fillings wrapped in a grape leaf.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 02:51

HBS Guy wrote:Dolmades, yup. Rice and other fillings wrapped in a grape leaf.

It's a grape leaf, yes. I also make them with a cabbage leaf, becomes thicka.

Thicka.

fisherman

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 02:58

Here it's not called Domlades, it's just Sarmi (plural), Sarma (singular).
fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 03:07

up your arse too.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 03:11

fisherman wrote:

Yum

Not sure what that is but it has rice and minced meat inside (beef + pork mix). Lemon + Bulgarian milk is fine on top. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako) and I'm too lazy to go to the store to get some. So I'll be just eating it raw.

Fuck off. Dolmades.. you 're not sure what they are..?
milk on top???. Yuk. Maybe a nice tomato sauce.

Dolmades, on the other hand are as described by HBS Guy , and are known world-wide. A popular Mediterranean staple. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 03:13

pinkeye wrote:
fisherman wrote:

Yum

Fuck off. Dolmades.. you 're not sure what they are..?
milk on top???. Yuk. Maybe a nice tomato sauce.

Dolmades, on the other hand are as described by HBS Guy , and are known world-wide. A popular Mediterranean staple. :roll

If you put a tomato sauce on a regular Sarma it'll taste like a kangaroo's ass. You put tomatoes on your Dolandes? You're brave.

Milk is king.

fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 04:06

I see no milk on those DOLMADES

No I usually eat them as prepared.. I like the olive oil and such which comes with Dolmades.

Its just I don't have this milk thingy you have, :roll and the obvious attendant is a nice spicy tomato sauce, if you must have one.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 04:20

pinkeye wrote:I see no milk on those DOLMADES

No I usually eat them as prepared.. I like the olive oil and such which comes with Dolmades.

Its just I don't have this milk thingy you have, :roll and the obvious attendant is a nice spicy tomato sauce, if you must have one.

The milk is on the left lol. :sad

Check this out:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YEKFeoaICCM/V ... 0278-1.jpg
fisherman

Postby dissilymordentroge » 20 Oct 2018, 04:59

fisherman wrote:And talking 'bout eating, I'm just grabbing my lunch. Can you recognize what that is?

Most delicious food on earth? Depends wether you washed all the sulphur preservative off the grape leaves and what they’re stuffed with, mince lamb with herbs, rice or whatever.
As to making a lunch out of them I’ve always preferred them as an entree or snack. To make a meal out of them is a bit much,
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2018, 05:22

Dolmades, falafels and hummus OK as a light meal.

I don’t think much of hummus so usually buy a different dip. Don’t think much of the falafels either, dry.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 06:53

dissilymordentroge wrote:
fisherman wrote:And talking 'bout eating, I'm just grabbing my lunch. Can you recognize what that is?

Most delicious food on earth? Depends wether you washed all the sulphur preservative off the grape leaves and what they’re stuffed with, mince lamb with herbs, rice or whatever.
As to making a lunch out of them I’ve always preferred them as an entree or snack. To make a meal out of them is a bit much,

Eat half a bread and you're set. For herbs I just use dust from nuclear fallout sites. Works fine for now.
fisherman

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 07:03

HBS Guy wrote:Dolmades, falafels and hummus OK as a light meal.

I don’t think much of hummus so usually by a different dip. Don’t think much of the falafels either, dry.

Never tried a falafels, that's even the first time I heard the word. But hummus is insane. I love it. Spicy hummus is king.
fisherman

Postby johnsmith » 20 Oct 2018, 07:23

fisherman wrote:. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako)

the yogurt Pink :hush

Dolmades and Sarmi are he same thing ..... one is the Greek name, the other Romanian/Bulgarian
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby dissilymordentroge » 20 Oct 2018, 07:23

fisherman wrote:

Eat half a bread and you're set. For herbs I just use dust from nuclear fallout sites. Works fine for now.

Not being anywhere near a nuclear fallout site I’ll have to forego the pleasure.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 10:11

johnsmith wrote:

fisherman wrote:. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako)

the yogurt Pink :hush

Dolmades and Sarmi are he same thing ..... one is the Greek name, the other Romanian/Bulgarian

Sarmichki rule this world. True story.
fisherman

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 10:12

fisherman wrote:

Not being anywhere near a nuclear fallout site I’ll have to forego the pleasure.

I have a power plant in my backyard. Want some fresh and nice plutonium?
fisherman

Postby dissilymordentroge » 20 Oct 2018, 15:49

fisherman wrote:
fisherman wrote:

I have a power plant in my backyard. Want some fresh and nice plutonium?

No but I can think of a few Iranians who’d be very interested.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby fisherman » 21 Oct 2018, 02:11

I don't deal with Arabescos.
fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 21 Oct 2018, 02:40

Iranians are Persians, not Arabs, fool.
sleeping is good for you