Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 19 Oct 2018, 01:55

looks good
is it a Potato Soup..? Love potatoes

but

I'm not a user of much dairy in cooking... no yoghurt, no cream, no butter...…… limited cheese...… it just doesn't agree with me... and I'm old enough to know what suits me.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 02:37

pinkeye wrote:looks good

but

I'm not a user of much dairy in cooking... no yoghurt, no cream, no butter...…… limited cheese...… it just doesn't agree with me... and I'm old enough to know what suits me.

Bulgarian salty yoghurt, water, salt, cucumbers, fresh dill and walnuts. Can be made into a drink too. Remove the walnuts and the dill and add some ice and you have a Bulgarian redneck cocktail that Mick Taylor is gonna kill ya for...mate.

Another BG drink I currently drink even now, with a cigarette, is more simplified and is only mineral water, salt, Bulgarian salty yoghurt and optional some caraway.

It's godlike. A drink for real gods.
fisherman

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 08:40

Wonder if someone at the market has Bulgarian yoghurt? Have seen Bulgarian fetta. Will have a look Tuesday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Oct 2018, 08:53

salted lassi(indian yougurt drink) is delicious :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 09:34

Salted Lassy? You dog murderer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 12:27

DonDeeHippy wrote:salted lassi(indian yougurt drink) is delicious :purple

Well they won't be called Indians if they don't straight copy someone.

It's basically the same thing. I heard it's more awful than ours. They just copied it since the original is coming from here. The yoghurt is a Bulgarian invention, not Indian, Greek, English or whatever.

In the early 1900s, a Bulgarian scientist called Dr. Stamen Grigorov, found an agent causing Bulgarian yogurt fermentation – a specific bacillus. Grigorov went on to pinpoint two more bacteria: a Streptobacillus and a harmful Streptoccus thermophilus which coexisted with that Lactobacillus in what appeared to be a perfect symbiosis. He also discovered that these two bacteria are not part of the micro-flora that exists in the human intestinal tract; however, they turn out to be very beneficial to it when introduced in it.

Read more about Lactobacillus Bulgaricus.
fisherman

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 12:30

HBS Guy wrote:Wonder if someone at the market has Bulgarian yoghurt? Have seen Bulgarian fetta. Will have a look Tuesday.

Feta cheese is Greek cheese. Bulgarian cheese is harder and it breaks down into tiny pieces when you stick a fork in it.

Ask for a Bulgarian yogurt milk in a bigger store. They should have. I saw in Germany, can be purchased in Texas even, and in Japan it's their favourite thing. It's everywhere. I believe you'll be able to find it.

The Lassy deserves a kill for being straight copied.
fisherman

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Oct 2018, 13:44

fisherman wrote:

It's basically the same thing. I heard it's more awful than ours. They just copied it since the original is coming from here. The yoghurt is a Bulgarian invention, not Indian, Greek, English or whatever.

In the early 1900s, a Bulgarian scientist called Dr. Stamen Grigorov, found an agent causing Bulgarian yogurt fermentation – a specific bacillus. Grigorov went on to pinpoint two more bacteria: a Streptobacillus and a harmful Streptoccus thermophilus which coexisted with that Lactobacillus in what appeared to be a perfect symbiosis. He also discovered that these two bacteria are not part of the micro-flora that exists in the human intestinal tract; however, they turn out to be very beneficial to it when introduced in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt
Yogurt has been around for centuries and is a old Turkish word...
The bulgarians where just the first to look at yogurt under a microscope and figure out how it works :)
Curd and yougurts have been in all cultures around the world :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Oct 2018, 13:50

fisherman wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Wonder if someone at the market has Bulgarian yoghurt? Have seen Bulgarian fetta. Will have a look Tuesday.

Feta cheese is Greek cheese. Bulgarian cheese is harder and it breaks down into tiny pieces when you stick a fork in it.

Ask for a Bulgarian yogurt milk in a bigger store. They should have. I saw in Germany, can be purchased in Texas even, and in Japan it's their favourite thing. It's everywhere. I believe you'll be able to find it.

The Lassy deserves a kill for being straight copied.

First Known Use of lassi
1882 oppps
Lassi is a Dahi (curd)
It was so long ago (at least 8000 years) that the actual origin has long since ... In such areas, 'curd' / 'curds' refers to the word 'yogurt' / 'yoghurt' and its variants.
:purple
Last edited by DonDeeHippy on 19 Oct 2018, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 13:54

DonDeeHippy wrote:
fisherman wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt
Yogurt has been around for centuries and is a old Turkish word...
The bulgarians where just the first to look at yogurt under a microscope and figure out how it works :)
Curd and yougurts have been in all cultures around the world :) :purple

Wrong. You should give yourself a pause for a second and listen before you write something you'll later regret. You're embarrassing yourself and losing prestige in front of the people this way. It's for your own good. I'll even make the text bigger so you can read it better.

The word 'yogurt' is derived from the words for 'thick' and 'milk' in ancient Thracian. Thracians inhabited parts of the ancient provinces of Thrace, Macedonia, Dacia and other regions of the Balkans. The archaeological research of the Thracian culture started in the 20th century and especially after World War II, mainly on the territory of southern Bulgaria.

As a result of intensive excavation works in the 1960s and 1970s a number of Thracian tombs and sanctuaries were discovered. More significant among them are: the Tomb of Sveshtari, the Tomb of Kazanlak, Tatul, Seuthopolis, Perperikon, the Tomb of Aleksandrovo and others.

Massive discoveries in Central Bulgaria which were summarized as "The Valley of the Thracian Kings". The residence of the Odrysian kings was found in Starosel in the Sredna Gora mountains. A 1922 Bulgarian study found that there were at least 6,269 necropolises in Bulgaria.

Yoghurt has a long history in Bulgaria. It was accidentally discovered around 4,000 years ago when the Thracian nomadic tribes roamed the land.

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (until 2014 known as Lactobacillus bulgaricus) is the main bacteria used for the production of yogurt. The name of that bacteria is BULGARI-CUS. From Bulgaria. Not Indicus, from India. Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus can be found naturally in the gastrointestinal tract of mammals living in Bulgaria, but one specific strain, Lactobacillus bulgaricus GLB44, is extracted from the leaves of the Galanthus nivalis (snowdrop flower) in Bulgaria.

The bacterium is only found in Bulgaria but grown artificially in other countries.

I think that's enough for today. Be sure to read it. There's no point in writing more after that post. It's pretty comprehensive and if you argue on that, I don't know what to say but to close my eyes and sigh.

Ta.
fisherman

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2018, 15:07

Lactobacillus delbrueckii is used in sour beers like lambic, Berliner weiße etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 16:02

HBS Guy wrote:Lactobacillus delbrueckii is used in sour beers like lambic, Berliner weiße etc.

Could be. But I'm speaking Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus is the main bacteria used for the production of yogurt. Anyways.

It's just annoying.

Russians often say their alphabet is theirs, they made it. The Cyrillic alphabet was made in Bulgaria. People just go and claim shit so they can feel better when undermining someone.

Not cool.
Not cool.
fisherman

Postby dissilymordentroge » 19 Oct 2018, 19:45

fisherman wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Lactobacillus delbrueckii is used in sour beers like lambic, Berliner weiße etc.

Could be. But I'm speaking Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus is the main bacteria used for the production of yogurt. Anyways.

It's just annoying.

Russians often say their alphabet is theirs, they made it. The Cyrillic alphabet was made in Bulgaria. People just go and claim shit so they can feel better when undermining someone.

Not cool.
Not cool.

And we’re still arguing who invented the Pavlova, Oz or NZ. Who cares so long as they don’t put sliced banana on the damned thing.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2018, 19:47

You'd be shot in Qld for that sacrilege!

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby dissilymordentroge » 19 Oct 2018, 21:22

Aussie wrote:You'd be shot in Qld for that sacrilege!

I’d be shot in Queensland for a lot of things I do and say.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2018, 21:24

Only if you diss the banana, and the cane toads.
Aussie

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 21:43

Aussie wrote:You'd be shot in Qld for that sacrilege!

You look good there, on the avatar.
fisherman

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2018, 21:46

Indeed, that is me...the golf playing cane toad.

Aussie

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 21:52

Aussie wrote:Indeed, that is me...the golf playing cane toad.

A bug. I was trying to quote the nun with the gesture. Anyway, you look good too. Great toad. I like toads. I actually tried toad meat. Not bad.
fisherman

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2018, 22:09

How the faaaaark do you get cane toad meat in Bulgaria? They have stuff all meat in them. Mostly poison.
Aussie

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 22:20

Aussie wrote:How the faaaaark do you get cane toad meat in Bulgaria? They have stuff all meat in them. Mostly poison.

I saw the French eat it and that's why they were called "frogs" by the Pommies so I figured I try. I found a restaurant in Sofia after 3 years of searchin. The meat was just like chicken. Did not know about the poison though. And BTW it was so expensive it broke my bank.
fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 00:35

yuk
both to your yoghurt and your toad meat.Perhaps you confuse frogs and toads.? Cane Toads aren't frogs FYI.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 00:45

pinkeye wrote:yuk
both to your yoghurt and your toad meat.Perhaps you confuse frogs and toads.? Cane Toads aren't frogs FYI.

Well pardon my French. Now I realise why he has a toad with a cane. I thought it was just an image of a toad holding a golf stick or something lol.

I think it's like this fella:

I mean, sorry, I'm not a biologist but Aussie's frog (cane toad) just looks so much fatter. The one for cooking is not a fatty and it has no poison. I'm still alive and well I mean.

And in my language we have one word for all canes, toads, frogs and such bastard jumpers.

Zhaba. Just some zhabas.
Last edited by fisherman on 20 Oct 2018, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
fisherman

Postby pinkeye » 20 Oct 2018, 00:47

fisherman wrote:

but

Bulgarian salty yoghurt, water, salt, cucumbers, fresh dill and walnuts..

No POTATOES?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 20 Oct 2018, 00:48

pinkeye wrote:
fisherman wrote:

but

Bulgarian salty yoghurt, water, salt, cucumbers, fresh dill and walnuts..

No POTATOES?

No but we eat Musaka. It has potatoes.

http://www.supichka.com/files/images/1242/musaka_2.jpg

Last edited by fisherman on 20 Oct 2018, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
fisherman

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic