Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 19 Jun 2018, 19:49

i made crumbed cauliflower today. Haven't had it in ages.

Mum used to make it often when I was a kid. Mine was pretty good but hers was better.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 19:55

My Mum’s cooking is plain and forgettable.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 19 Jun 2018, 20:06

HBS Guy wrote:My Mum’s cooking is plain and forgettable.

my mum's an awesome cook. She had half the neighbourhood drop by at dinner time because they liked her cooking. She had that homestyle italian cooking down pat

funny thing was she was self taught. Never had a lesson. She couldn't boil an egg when she got married.

If she tries something new at a restaurant, she'll cook it almost exactly the same a few days later, just based on taste and sight.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 20:23

Nice.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jun 2018, 19:54

Had a big day today (had both Lisa Jones and Hyacinth Bouquet (Bucket) notes.

Returned home minus a library book (returned, not lost!) plus a debt plus some fucking delicious wine plus 5L late picked EVOO plus some triple cream brie (THAT pushes every button on this Year of the Pig Gemini!) and some olives and. . .

Too fucking tired to even THINK about making risotto. Fried the pine ’shrooms with fennel, sweet onion, herbs etc. Chucked half a packet macaroni (“spirali”) into boiling salted water. Turned out very nice.

I LOVE pine mushrooms. They look disgusting, yellow with blue–green spots. So good tho! Are real wild mushrooms—have to clean then cook then—and tasty as fuck!

Only thing better is local morels. Only ate them once. Not much left at the mushroom stall, I got 50g. Just fried them in butter, served on two slices toast. Fucking HUGE DELICIOUS flavor! Woah!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jun 2018, 12:45

I had bought some granny smiths (Mary Anne Smith was the Sydney granny who kept the chance seedling going. GS are thought to be a cross between a crab apple and a normal apple.)

Can’t wait to pick perfectly ripe Cox Orange Pippin from my tree, COP the perfect eating apple! Will have a Granny Smith and one or two other cooking apples too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jun 2018, 13:38

An applecake is in the oven. 6 grannies and sandcake dough.

Peeled, cored chopped up the grannies, slightly cooked that in a little bit sugar syrup, few drops lemon juice, ground cinnamon.

Rolled out the dough, cut out a disc to line the bottom then strips to line the sides of the springform cake tin. Chucked in the apple and syrup, covered with a lattice of strips of dough, milkwash (no eggs left for egg wash!) and bunged into oven for 45 minutes. See how it goes.

This is out of a Dutch cookbook.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jun 2018, 17:14

How to make gravadlax:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-make-gravadlax

Gravadlax, cured, not smoked salmon is utterly delicious! Was available at the Central Market, Barossa stall for awhile. Spoke to a guy at the Jaggers stall, saying they should stock it. He told me it could be made at home. Terrific!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jun 2018, 19:30

Hmmmm sashimi salmon and sashimi kingfish (deelish!) followed by sashimi oysters :roll :bgrin aka “solidified sea snot” by some and I will admit that “it was a brave man who first ate of an oyster” but I love them!

Tomorrow risotto with pine mushrooms with a bit of black garlic mushroom salt. Lloyd Bros EVOO and sauv blanc, from the Southern Vales.

I might be tempted to go for the Coriole chenin blanc but I might hide that bottle till Christmass Eve.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jun 2018, 13:05

A vege stock is simmering very very slowly in the kitchen. Yup, vege stock.

Will use that to make a risotto tonight. More pine mushrooms: while they are available I will pig out. Heavy rain—and the short pine mushroom season is over.

Campbell’s stocks suck, bland as fuck. So make my own.

Had a bit of fennel bulb left, chop, into the pot. A red onion, cut the roots off, cut into quarters, into the pan, skin and all. Rather bendy couple stems celery, wash, chop, into the pot, leaves and all. Some cabbage, some kale, half a dozen small swiss mushrooms, half bunch flat leaf parsley, peppercorns, cloves, piece nutmeg. Think it will have flavor! Will sieve it at 2.00pm, simmer the stock to concentrate a bit if needed.

Have to buy some butter. Melt butter, add rice, stir to coat, add a glass of white wine, stir to coat the rice, let the wine evaporate, add soup ladle of stock, stir, you get the drill.

While the stock is reducing, wipe the shrooms with damp kitchen towel, slice thinly. Slice some shallots and one clove garlic, fry, add the shrooms, stir gently. Ideally the last ladle of stock goes into the rice as the shrooms are cooked. I keep them separate, plate the rice, then add the shrooms then add some chopped parsley. Good winter food, stick to the ribs yet delicious.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jun 2018, 14:51

Hmmmm strained the stock. Has a lovely color, is amazingly clear and smells and tastes great! Just simmering it a bit to reduce and concentrate it. Oh my.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jun 2018, 19:32

Risotto is fucking lovely!

I have some vege stock left over, will add that to the chicken stock when I make chicken soup soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jun 2018, 17:10

Just made this today, delicious!!

bara brith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jun 2018, 11:43

Welsh fruit loaf all gone!

Might make some challah, Jewish bread with eggs and honey. The braiding might be a bit hard to do neatly.

Recipe here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 18:53

Pizza tonight—it is the weather for it.

A meat pizza is in oven. I wanted a seafood one as well. Only bought prawns at the market yesterday, and don’t have any fucking anchovies in the fridge. Not much of a pizza!

Saw two ripe pears sitting in the fruit bowl. Grabbed one, cored it sliced it, onto the pizza base, prawns on top of the pear slices. Should be good.

Did a pizza once, a minute before it came out the oven I cracked 12 quail eggs over the pizza, into little pockets I made. Was OK!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 29 Jun 2018, 20:10

HBS Guy wrote:Pizza tonight—it is the weather for it.

A meat pizza is in oven. I wanted a seafood one as well. Only bought prawns at the market yesterday, and don’t have any fucking anchovies in the fridge. Not much of a pizza!

Saw two ripe pears sitting in the fruit bowl. Grabbed one, cored it sliced it, onto the pizza base, prawns on top of the pear slices. Should be good.

Did a pizza once, a minute before it came out the oven I cracked 12 quail eggs over the pizza, into little pockets I made. Was OK!

once all the reno's are complete at the new place, I'm gonna buy me a genuine wood fired pizza oven .... nothing beats wood fired pizza and bread.

http://www.melbournefirebricks.com.au/wood-fired-pizza-ovens
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 20:31

Make it yourself, not that hard.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 20:32

If I make one I will see about steam injectors. Cook the pizza, slide in the bread dough, inject steam.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 29 Jun 2018, 20:44

johnsmith wrote:

once all the reno's are complete at the new place, I'm gonna buy me a genuine wood fired pizza oven .... nothing beats wood fired pizza and bread.

Soooo....all the ducks lined up, new place bought and 'wifey' got the alterations she wanted?
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby johnsmith » 29 Jun 2018, 20:46

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Soooo....all the ducks lined up, new place bought and 'wifey' got the alterations she wanted?

not quite ... one more step for sale of my current residence and business, then we can move forward with the purchase.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jun 2018, 14:28

Bought some nice maters, a bell pepper and some chilies at the Willunga Farmers Market—make some nice salsa. Salsa, corn chips, nice beer—the holy trinity!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jun 2018, 14:29

Also a couple Kg granny Smiths, make some apple butter. Highly spiced: cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, mace, cloves, piece nutmeg. Deelish on bread or porridge!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jun 2018, 21:21

Made some little meatballs from chicken mince, soy sauce & breadcrumbs. They are cooking in a bit of tomato sauce, be lovely in the chicken soup tomorrow.

A chicken is cooking in the oven, have some of that for lunch tomorrow, some will be shredded into the soup. Be good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 30 Jun 2018, 22:14

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

not quite ... one more step for sale of my current residence and business, then we can move forward with the purchase.

Golf mate of mine yesterday sold his Sunshine Coast Real Estate business for $M2.2. I was surprised. Thought he'd get more.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jul 2018, 00:36

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Golf mate of mine yesterday sold his Sunshine Coast Real Estate business for $M2.2. I was surprised. Thought he'd get more.

depends on the size of his rental pool. Sales history doesn't mean shit when you sell a real estate business.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic