Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 13 Dec 2017, 22:50

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Ummm .. for some reason I recently purchased just over .750 kg of frozen goat pieces. On the bone

goat is great in a tomato based pasta sauce ... the trick is to let is simmer in the sauce slowly for 5 or 6 hours, keeping an eye on it and occasionally adding a bit of water when it gets to thick.

Yeah.. I'm definitely going to do a slow cook. I cook on my old gas Westinghouse. Seen better days. Still cooks alright, with the help of a chain and screw to keep the door closed. :bgrin

So, sometimes cooktop, sometimes in oven I love a slow cook. I do not own a single electric cooking or prep device, unless you count a toaster.
I use a large heavy-based saucepan with a good lid for stovetop, and a pyrex casserole dish in the oven, with foil to retain moisture.
You have to keep an eye on them and depending on quantity cook for at least 4 to 5 hrs.

Tomato base sounds like the way to go. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 10:42

Made a cooked breakfast for me and Mum.

Dry roasted tomatoes of course. Had pancetta but no asparagus what to do? Had some cheese, cut that into long batons, rolled the round pancetta around the cheese. When the tomatoes had roasted for 45 minutes I placed the pancetta-cheese rolls on top of the tomatoes so the melted cheese would ooze out on the tomatoes.

Slice of bread, tsp of aioli, slice of smoked salmon topped with a poached duck egg. Bloody yum!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2017, 13:50

My contribution to the family Christmass lunch—chicken liver pate. So my vegetarian bitch sister can’t eat it.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2017, 11:47

Looks like Christmas day in Adelaide is not going to be super hot so I think my meatballs—polpette—and home made pasta idea will be fine:

Ingredients
500 g minced beef
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
160 g (2 cups) grated parmesan
140 g (2 cups) stale breadcrumbs
½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 litre passata
grated parmesan, basil leaves, cooked spaghetti and crusty bread, to serve

Cook's notes
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.

Instructions
Makes 24 meatballs

Chilling time 20 minutes

Place mince, garlic, onion, eggs, parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, 1½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper in a bowl and knead to combine. Shape 2 tbps mixture into balls and place on a tray. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to rest.

Bring passata and 125 ml water to the boil in a large deep frying pan. Add meatballs, reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes or until meatballs are cooked and sauce has thickened. Season. Scatter with parmesan and basil, and serve with pasta and bread.

Might double the quantities. Will make the pasta today—I don’t call it spaghetti because I don’t have an extruder so can’t make round pasta strands. Think I might make it very thin, unusual to appeal to the kids.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2017, 12:13

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 Dec 2017, 16:18

i prefer the first one

not a fan off adding hairy fish or pancetta to my meat balls.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2017, 16:26

Yeah, I think the second one might be better but the first one more suitable for feeding the ravening hordes.

I do like anchovies tho, might keep that, adds richness as well as salt.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Dec 2017, 23:36

Ok, mixed ground blanched almonds, sugar, eggs, almond essence and lemon zest. Put that in the fridge until Saturday when I will bake the stollen for christmass celebrations.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2017, 14:26

Thought I would shout Mum a nice lunch before the madness of Christmas. Hmm a week or two too late!

Never mind, did have a nice lunch. Also bought some raisins etc for the stollen to be baked Saturday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2017, 17:24

Just fed the fruitcake its last cap of St Agnes brandy.

I have pretty much everything I need to make the stollen, probably on Saturday.

After christmas I will get the ingredients of oliebollen together.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2017, 11:26

Fed my fruitcake one last cap of brandy and cut a slice.

Oh my gosh, tastes rich, fruity (well, d’uh) and a full bodied. Doesn’t need much to kill any hunger pangs! All that fruit, the nine eggs etc.

Was a little bit dark on the edges—need more brown paper tied around the cake tin (23cm square cake tin) next time. Luckily, several shops hand you thick brown paper bags, make excellent brown paper insulation. Need it for fruitcakes—take hours to cook.

The cake is not burnt, just a bit dark here and there.

Yummy—and I have kilos of it! :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2017, 12:26

Making pineapple jelly for the great nephews/nieces.

Might use a big can of pineapple, why? Saves a HEAP of work! Pineapple is a bromeliad and brom. fruits have an enzyme that would prevent gelatine from setting (sister will whine I didn’t use agar agar: might consider that if she brings a meat dish to the lunch instead of bunny food) so would have to clean to pineapple, core it, chop up the fruit—then simmer it for 45 minutes! No thanks!

Recipe calls for five sheets of gelatin, more usually four are used.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2017, 08:33

Drinking some fresh–squeezed orange juice as breakfast cooks. Pity they were Valencia oranges, inferior :sad
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2017, 09:20

I had forgotten, AGAIN, to buy some asparagus spears, fuckwit me!

what to do. HHmmmmmmm Lebanese cucumber in fridge. Cut the ends off, tossed them into a dish on the kitchen floor. Cut the cuke into eights, cut the seed of, threw them into the same dish. A minute later—dish was empty! Matter transference. Nah, not really, Demi, despite being a carnivore, approves of veges as long as they are crisp. The tops of capsicums her especial love. Nice—except I have to find the green top and stem, usually deep under the kitchen table.

Wrapped the cuke “spears” in pancetta. Nice truss cherry tomatoes had been in a hit oven 45 minuted so added mushroom and the pancetta–wrapped spears.

Sliced bread, spread with aioli, smoked salmon on top of the aioli. Nearly time, dropped two eggs in boiling salted water, got the ’maters, ’shrooms and pancetta out the oven, topped with poached egg. Bit of mint over the ’maters.

Fucking wonderful! The cuke spears were not crisp, rather limp, but tasted beautiful!

Now all I have to do is cook a stollen and make a pineapple jelly for Monday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2017, 13:58

Dough made, allowed to rise. Knocked back, rolled out, brandy–soaked fruit added, kneaded the fruit in, rolled out into a 23 x 9 oval, added almond paste, folded over with the top bit of the dough a bit short of the edge of the outer dough. Is rising for 40 minuted then into a 190°C oven. Oven is preheating. All looking good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2017, 15:49

Stollen out the oven, brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with icing sugar. Cooling on a rack. Best one I ever made I reckon!

Have to make the pineapple jelly but it can wait a bit, joints are aching. MUST have a table so I can sit to prepare food in my Tassie kitchen! :grn
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2017, 18:13

Stollen nearly cooled down, pineapple jelly is in the fridge. There is room in the mold, maybe make a half batch orange (blood orange) jelly and pour that over the pineapple jelly with pineapple chunks.

Soon will make an orange jelly, pour some over the set pineapple jelly, the rest into a seperate mold.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2017, 11:35

Yesterdays jellies all set :rofl err hmm all yesterdays jelly set.

Cardamom pods, lemon zest and honey steeping in some milk—making a milk jelly, a blancmange.

Will make a blueberry jelly, let them set, then cut them up and put them in one mold, marbled jelly.

Hope the kids like the jellies tomorrow!

Have some redcurrants, will strip them off their stalks and sprinkle with a little sugar and eat! I like the acid-earthy flavors. In Tassie will plant lots red black and white currant bushes—too hot in Adelaide.

Then just a chilled chickensoup to make, chicken poached in stock, cut chicken up, strain stock, let cool (freezer) remove fat, put all together. Got tomato juice, some V8 vege juice, celery, mint etc. Be good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 Dec 2017, 16:56

hey monk, how do you recommend I cook some Balmain bugs?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 24 Dec 2017, 17:02

johnsmith wrote:hey monk, how do you recommend I cook some Balmain bugs?

Balmain bugs? Are they the same as Moreton Bay bugs which is probably what you've got.......or shall I fuck off out of this Thread because I would not have a clue?

:beer
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2017, 17:16

Never cooked Balmain nor Moreton Bay bugs. A hot pan fry them just long enough.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 Dec 2017, 17:20

Aussie wrote:
Balmain bugs? Are they the same as Moreton Bay bugs which is probably what you've got.......or shall I fuck off out of this Thread because I would not have a clue?

balmain bugs are tastier,

but I probably do have morton bay bugs .. never trust a fish monger to tell you the truth.

HBS Guy wrote:Never cooked Balmain nor Moreton Bay bugs. A hot pan fry them just long enough.

yeah, I've had a quick look online ..... I just need some of butter mixed with herbs to brush onto them before hot pan for 2 mins.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 24 Dec 2017, 17:40

There ya go! I would have tossed them into salted boiling water for a minute or several.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2017, 17:53

Boiling is boring.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2017, 17:55

Me, I am waiting on my blancmange to become lumpy—will make a “marbled jelly” with the orange+blood orange jelly and the blueberry jelly both of which I have chopped up.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic