Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jul 2010, 20:45

Fuck me but the stuffed peppers are hot! I dare not fart within 20m of a naked flame! Lethal!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jul 2010, 22:39

Sardines, not the things in tins, fresh sardines, are really good! And they are fatty fish, full of Omega 3!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jul 2010, 17:46

Was at Goodies for Grains at the Central Market today, bought some flour and dried fruit. They had white raisins: an American thing looks like a plumper, juicier lighter colored (yellow to light pink) sultanas. Bought half a Kg of those plus sultanas, raisins and currants—a fruitloaf to be baked tomorrow, old Dutch recipe. Will make sure it is well spiced, nutmeg, cinnamon & cardamom powder plus some ginger.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jul 2010, 16:11

Paaskrentenbrood

(easter fruitloaf)

500g flour
8g salt
75g brown sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
30g compressed yeast/1 or 2 sachets dried yeast (store in fridge not pantry!) sprinkled in cup tepid water or milk, let stand 15 mins)
200ml milk
3 eggs
75g butter (or magarine, yuck! Margarine sucks, tastes crap and is bad for you!)
225g raisins (will use the white raisins I bought yesterday)
225g sultanas (actually, I will just make up 450g of fruit made from a mix of the stuff I bought yesterday
25g thin strips orange zest (or use orange blossom water like me, 25g zest? Take forever!

Sift flour and salt, mix in the brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger, make a well in the centre, mix yeast and tepid milk, pour into well, stir with wooden spoon gradually drawing in more flour from the side, break the 3 eggs into the mix. Melt the butter, let cool a bit, stir into the dough. Knead dough till elastic, let rise for an hour in a warm, moist position.

Mix the fruit (and zest if using) with a bit of flour in a sieve, shake off excess flour. Work the fruit into the dough till evenly mixed, shove it into a loaf tin, with the crease below. Let rise half an hour again on the bottom tray of a barely warm oven with a cup of water next to it. Remove cup of water, raise oven temp to 200°C and bake 30-40 minutes until bread is done. Just before taking out of oven brush with a bit of melted butter. Let loaf cool and sprinkle a tad of icing sugar over.

Will make this tomorrow I reckon! Sounds like a decent fruitloaf, an old Dutch recipe.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2010, 12:52

Just took delivery of the beef. Fuck, didn’t know briskets were that big! Three roasts in there at least! Oohhh lovely thick-cut TBone, ribeye, sirloin, rump steaks, some osso buco shin bones, skirt steak, round steak,, lean mince, gravy beef, corned silverside and a couple other roasts—put the roasts on top, will cook them while the cooler weather holds, then mixed round steak and mince with the sirloin etc all the way down so can work our way down the stack of meat.

People who don’t eat red meat are crazy I reckon: omega 3s, protein/amino acids, vitamins, iron, calcium etc. Wonder if I can get half a pig the same way? Imagine 2Kg of bacon in the freezer, how cool is that? Pork sausage, fillet, ribs, chops hmmmmm, pork and veal mince for a meat pasta sauce? then half a saltbush-fed lamb, oh yeah, lamb shanks, butterflied marinated lamb leg, chops, cutlets, rack of lamb, lamb mince? All at ridiculously low prices?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 24 Jul 2010, 08:05

It sounds like you've got enough food there for an army. How long do you freeze food for? I allow a couple of months at the most as leaving it longer seems to give it an unpleasant taint as though it's going off.

I love red meat, but it would take months to get through that lot.

My daughter has spent a bit of time recently with her father who lives interstate. He's a fantastic cook and makes mouthwatering meals. Like you, he's of Dutch origin and the herbs and spices he uses are perfect. She's come back whinging about my bland cooking - healthy as it is.

Men seem to have more of an imagination when it comes to creating a delicious meal - perhaps having a European or Asian influence is the reason. Us third and fourth generation Aussies have been brought up on plain food and just aren't that creative.
mantra
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jul 2010, 08:20

This stuff will last a year in the freezer: this is fresh beef never before frozen.

Have got a corned silverside and I’m not sure WTF I should do with that, just roast it I guess?

I have always liked cooking, and yeah maybe knowing the food we ate in Holland was a bit different to here but very good maybe made it easy for me to consider other cuisines.

Pizza this weekend, will make my own bases. Meat pizza will have 2 slices cooked laschinken and a whole slice ham on it—call it a German Butcher’s pizza :purple Seafood pizza will have sardines, prawns, calimari and some “marinara mix” I will cut a bit finer, plus some fennel. Cheese used of course will be buffalo milk mozzarella—$8 worth of cheese on each pizza!

Will put pizza stone in oven, get oven preheating to 250°C, use warmth from oven to rise the pizza dough then make pizza up in a tray and out the tray on the pizza stone. A purist might shudder but stuff them: I get the benefit of the stone, a dry, crispy base, with none of the mess of trying to transfer pizza from peel to stone!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jul 2010, 21:37

Bought two free range duck carcases at the Market, just $2 each! A lot of meat on there with even more fat! Will make stock tomorrow, strain, put into a tall container and put that in the fridge for the fat to rise to the top so I can skim it off before making soup. Am tempted to render that fat and get rid of the crud then use the clean fat to fry or baste something with. Hmmm.

Will add some spice, a few cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamon pod or two, think the rich duck flavor can handle that.

Got some fish to deepfry in beer batter, will make some oven cooked potato wedges—any hints, recipes anyone?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jul 2010, 12:14

OK stock is on the way. Have the duck carcases roasting in the oven to get some color first, oh boy this is going to be tasty, wow! All the spices in there: cloves, star anise, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Didn’t have any onions (didn’t buy any yesterday as I thought I had plenty but picked a couple of big, overgrown spring onions and they will substitute for the onion brilliantly. Huge sprig of parsley out the garden, thyme sprigs likewise and tbsp of my home grown, home dried basil.

Fart fuel!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jul 2010, 18:23

I forgot to mention the bay leaves, home grown and fresh-picked of course!

Have turned heat off under the stock then covered the pan with towels and tea towels so it can stay hot for a bit. The baking dish with a fair bit of rendered duck fat in it will be perfect for oven baked potato wedges! Hmmmmm! My arteries are cringing at the thought!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Aug 2010, 12:58

Back from Farmers Market. Got half a kilo of that luvverly free range berkshire bacon! FUCK! meant to ask the guy if does half sides of pig!

5Kg granny smith apples and 2L apple and pear juice—a fresh batch of applebutter coming up!

Couple bottles red, need some to stew the pear and quince, plus some nice choccies! Oh yeah, and two jars of that loverly seville orange marmalade.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Aug 2010, 18:18

OK, about half the granny smiths I bought this morning are on their way to being turned into apple butter! A ridiculous amount of spice went into it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Aug 2010, 14:29

Everytime I go into the back porch (aka scullery) the smell of those apples and spices slowly cooking down is ambrosial. I urge all here to give it a go.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Aug 2010, 19:32

Mind you, taking its own time about reducing down to half: have turned slowcooker to high now, want to finish it tonight, tracking tomorrow!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Aug 2010, 08:51

Five jars tangy applebutter in the waterbath! Will leave them in the boiling water while I have a shower etc, 15-20 mins which is perfect!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2010, 13:03

Eaing couple slices toast absolutely slathered in applebutter, beautifully tangy, good spice shows through.

Mantra, make some applebutter adding the spices i did, then get some kassler chops (these don’t have to be cooked just warmed up) and put a frypan on heat, shove in a tablespoon or two of applebutter then fry the kassler chops in this. I guarantee no complaints about bland cooking! Applebutter on pork roast, pork chops easy peasy.

A clove of garlic, get a pepper grinder and grate in plenty fresh ground black pepper will be winners too. Dare i say it, make the Thai fishcakes! Slice a chili into pasta sauce, add 2-3tbsp balsamic vinegar. Grow basil, easy to dry, keeps good for a couple years and can also make pesto, add to soups, stews, pasta. Get some nice parmesan (never, ever buy “Australian” Parmesan, garbage!

Buy pancetta or prosciutto, fry them and add to fried eggs, more tasty than bacon.

God that applebutter toast was fantastic!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2010, 23:47

Five more jars applebutter! Be buying some kassler chops soon, so good “fried” in applebutter!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Aug 2010, 00:40

OK, asked around at the Farmers Market this morning, can buy half a side of pig and of lamb, saving a fair bit of dough! Hmmm organic free range berkshire pork, saltbush fed lamb at like half price and I just have to walk to my freezer to get it! Kilograms of bacon yeah!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Aug 2010, 17:41

Smoked hock, onion, carrot some herbs and spices coming to the simmer, dunno what I will use the stock for yet, peasoup probably. any other ideas?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Aug 2010, 10:55

Making this tomorrow;

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/st ... 975895.htm

Have to go to the market and get some stuff.

eeeerrrrrr cancel that, too bloody parky outside! Will get most of what i need tomorrow at Farmers Market!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Aug 2010, 21:07

Crispy fish is deelish!

bit of work tho! But crisp, salty, soft-juicy, sour hmmmm
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Aug 2010, 21:35

Oil temperature must be right, I would wait 5 mins between each lot of fish.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Aug 2010, 16:59

OK, rich, crustless chocolate cheesecake in the oven. when cooked and cooled will spread the top with whipped cream and top that with sliced strawberries that have marinated in lemon juice, all luscious.

Will eat the last of that Sat night with a glass of champagne to celebrate the election of a Labor govt and our first elected female Prime Minister.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Sep 2010, 21:27

Hah! early this week my thoughts were of Thai fish cakes and summery weather. Well, not bloody summery this weekend so instead of fish cakes I am making a fish pie. fish shop had knife jaw for $13/Kg so I bought that, added a few prawns and some smoked trout. At the organic Veg stall I bought some nice potatoes: no pastry in this fish pie it will be covered by nice garlicky potato mash. Also bought a turnip and swede and will pull up a bulb of fennel. Will use saffron too.

Will no doubt make a nice, sturdy pie, but I really wanted nice summery, spicy fishcakes , sob!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 04 Sep 2010, 06:48

What's a knife jaw?

All the times I've been down your way and I still haven't caught a King George whiting. I'm an unlucky (sucky) fisherman.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic