Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2017, 08:34

Their roots spread for metres and metres. I know this VERY well aha!

I had an old grapefruit tree cut down and the stump ground down. STILL had to grub out shoots of it for a few months! Then there was the pond I put in, oh my gawd!

First I had to get rid of this resprouted orange tree stump. Roots FIVE metres long, including one right where the pond was going to go! Then dig the hole for the pond.

You reckon my arthritic hip hurt for weeks? Too right! So I will take care where I put them. But a lemon tree is just too useful, lime too. Then will see.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 31 Oct 2017, 03:43

HBS Guy wrote:Couldn’t put them in the freezer for an hour?

I iced it but it just didn't go fully to sleep and objected to the knife trying to remove its shell.

I'm not squeamish but I'm not particularly cruel either so it wasn't enjoyed .

Had another tonight that went to sleep first so that wasn't so much trauma for all concerned.

Cooking them Singapore style. Shallots, garlic. Ginger and chili than a can of tomato, bit of lime dash of fish sauce. Spoonful suger. Stirfry in a wok

Rather than rice you serve it over pasta.
Quick and cheap and yummy.Family loved it.
Francis
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 03:55

Yeah, nice big crabs are good!

I need a new wok!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 31 Oct 2017, 04:06

Just replaced mine.
I got a electric one from k mart. $20 odd.

I'm very impressed at the heat and ability.
Woks are really a awesome cooking appliance.
Francis
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 04:31

Yeah. Your electric wok gets hot enough?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 19:29

Had my doubts as a gas cook lover but yes...it even spreads the heat more evenly.

Tonight is chicken curry.
I buy a green curry paste from Woolworths.
Mae ploy brand. Its only a dollar and you just throw it in with vegies and chicken and it flavors it right up.
I'm obviously big on simple cooking lol
Francis
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 19:51

ahahaha

healthy and tasty, don’t need to know the shortcuts :roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 22:54

What's anyone's favourite herb ?

I used be a big basil fan but now I'm using coriander more and more.

Just dice and throw in top pretty much anything!
Francis
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 23:32

Coriander is nice.

What about lemon peel/zest?

Makes Bombay Gin the lovely gin it is.

Great fresh, great preserved.

Nice in savory and sweet dishes.

I prefer spices. Cardamom.

When mangos are at peak season and cheap, buy a few, dice the flesh, cook till soft, pass through a moulie. Put pureed mango flesh back in pan add ground cardamom seeds, cook until the fruit has the consistency of soft butter, jar, seal, waterbath 15 minutes. Heaven on toast, icecream etc. Hmmmmmmm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Nov 2017, 15:41

Bought some asparagus at the market this morning, going to cook giant asparagus raviolo, very large ravioli. Complex process and looking at the recipe I see I need some more ingredients, can get them from Westfield Marion tomorrow. A whole egg goes in each raviolo.

Will probably stuff up a bit the first time. :rofl (not reading the recipe through properly is my failing.)

Two things to watch for in ravioli/raviolo: make sure there is no air in each pocket of pasta (a pinprick to let out any air is a neat trick) and make sure the pasta sheets are well stuck together at the edges: important not to let any filling fall where the sheets are to be stuck together.

Like pasta, want to make your own? Aliza Green Making Artisan Pasta is the book to turn to. Recipes for the flour, instructions in rolling the pasta out and lots great recipes. Making your own pasta means you can make a richer pasta with lots of egg yolks.

Once set up in Tassie I intend to get the extruder that fits on my Kenwood mixer Chef Major Platinum (1400W motor) so I can make spaghetti, vermicelli, penne etc, stuff you can’t make with a sheet pasta machine. The dies on the extruder must be bronze else the pasta is smooth and bland and can’t hold any sauce.

Someone who used to post on OzPol and here put me on to the Kenwood. Made in China but so was the Cuisinard machine I was thinking of buying. Has a high power outlet (juicer, blender) a medium power outlet (food processor) and a low power outlet on the front as well as the bowl outlet. Can get an attachment that acts as moulie, great for when the arthritis in my shoulders is raging. I love this mixer! I have used it to knead 2Kg of bread dough and I couldn’t feel that the motor had heated up at all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2017, 09:10

Asparagus wrapped in bacon or pancetta and put in a hot oven for 15 minutes is the perfect way to cook asparagus! While cooked, the spears stay nice and crisp.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2017, 14:12

At the farmers market this morning did a little cider tasting. Oh dear!

Cider made from actual cider apples as distinct from eating or cooking apples. All the other ciders I have tasted: water as far as taste is concerned. Bitterness: cider apples contain tannins, especially the bittersweets. Huge mouthfeel.

So different, can’t really give a description. It was at the end of the shopping, not much money left so just bought one stubby, probably drink that tomorrow—stand by for a cider review. They have a perry (pear cider) as well and an apple or pear mead. Will buy more next weekend.

There is also a stall selling the best smoked fish I have ever eaten, run by a couple Asian ladies, unfortunately had used up my money buying the cider! :roll :roll :roll :roll In two weeks time they will be back. They also sell fresh salmon portions. Will buy some when they are back in 2 weeks.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2017, 00:33

Bought a heap of apples today, 4Kg 2nd grade granny smiths. Reckon will make and can applesauce—no point trying to make applebutter this late, no pectin. Going to leave that till I am in Tassie, see if I can find a decent slow cooker, this Kambrook one burns the bloody apple mass!

But can make some apple sauce, spiced nice and high of course: cinnamon stick, cloves, some cardamom, scrape nutmeg.

Also a heap of fujis, reckon they are the best eating apples readily available (Cox Orange Pippin the very best) so will need to cook some.

Tarte tatin I reckon! Anyone have a fave recipe or made it and can give some tips? Can juice some apples I suppose.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2017, 17:46

Hmmm Christmass is nearing. Because of this that and the other I have not started even thinking about Christmas food.

Well, have the makings for a stollen, a festive fruit bread with marzipan, so that will be made a few days before Christmass Eve.

I need to prepare an elaborate five course dinner for 2-3 family.

Well, first course, seafood, is easy: sashimi, kingfish and tuna probably.

Entree?

Soup?

Main?
—salad?

Desert?

Desert will likely be homemade blood orange and chocolate gelato

Then something for the combined family lunch on Christmass Day. Not going to try and please my older sister, not feeling like making meat free, dairy free, wheat free food substitute. A nice roast probably or a big plate of cold meat and cheese. Cervelaatworst rolled around quartered dill gherkins type of thing. (Cervelaatworst = Dutch salami.) Hmmm 2-3 bunches asparagus with pancetta rolled around each asparagus spear and roasted 15 minutes, yeah! Then a brie and a bit of gorgonzola dolce and hunk of bity cheddar!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2017, 18:01

Entree could be prawns and aioli. Easy. Might get seasnot aka oysters for myself :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2017, 18:58

I think: buy a cheap gas cooker, bring a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, pasta, meatballs, and sauce all home made! Can make the pasta a week ahead of time, easy peasy. meatballs and sauce on the 23rd or 24th.

Wow, three dishes!

Tiny hint of chili in the sauce. Kids will eat it (I hope!) so not too much.

This will be great! Totally different to anything I have brought before!

Two cold meat dishes: cervelaatworst and the asparagus. Then a hot meat dish. Hmm need to keep the pasta dish hot somehow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2017, 06:48

Good! Christmass lunch is here in Adelaide that means my two favorite people will be at the Christmass Eve dinner! Yay!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:14

Well, having sashimi something tonight.

Not Pisces

Not mollusca.

Not crustacea

So what am I eating?

The phylum part of my dinner comes from are exclusively marine creatures with fivefold symmetry. Two members of the phylum are harvested for food.

Totally unrelated: the sponges that grow in the sea, are they vegetables or animals?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2017, 19:42

Hmmmm ______ roe, delicious!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 09 Nov 2017, 21:08

Roasted chicken and three veg.

Its not going well :oops

At this rate we will eat at midnight
Francis
Feral cat

Postby Francis » 09 Nov 2017, 21:08

Roasted chicken and three veg.

Its not going well :oops

At this rate we will eat at midnight
Francis
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2017, 21:10

I had sea urchin, no cooking needed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:10

OK, I ate Coelenterate, sea urchin.

What other C member is harvested for food?

Named after a vegetable which it isn’t.

Anyone?????
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:33

Christmass Eve Dinner menu

Entree asparagus, wrapped in long pancetta and roasted 15 minutes, couple dry roasted cherry tomatoes

Fish, sashimi kingfish and blue fin tuna (or same, grilled) with seaweed salad

Soup, gazpacho nice fresh herbs and croutons

Rice, risotto of mushroom and truffles. Fucking awesome!

—Lime and lemon sorbet—

Main, crumbed veal with hard boiled eggs and asparagus with green salad (mushroom and radish prominent)

Desert, blood orange gelato and chocolate gelato

dried muscatels, nuts etc

Coffee and slice stollen

Wines:
Pre–dinner & Entree: a crisp white sparkling wine
Fish: Sauvignon blanc, maybe a NZ wine.
Risotto: nice cold rosé
Main: probably the rosé
Desert: white shiraz, served chilled

16 Dec: mix ground almonds, egg and almond essence. Bung into fridge, let it set. Get icecream machines set, bowls in freezer etc
20–22 Dec: bake the stollen
23 Dec make the gelato—milk, cream, eggs, vanilla extract, dutch cocoa to be bought beforehand
24 Dec—shopping!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:47

I reckon a nice big hot bowl of spaghetti and meatballs (polpette) would be good.

Plenty garlic, tiniest pinch chili, onion, herbs, lashings parmesan. Dry roasted cherry tomato halves in the sauce

Can make the pasta and dry it a week ahead of time, make and cook the polpette ahead of time, same as the sauce.

Oh yeah, make the sauce out of dry roasted tomatoes, rich!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic