Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2010, 21:45

Part of an English tea was slices of bread and butter. Reading that I thought it was funny but you know, now I eat every week one slice of good bread (Walnut rye from Swiss Glory) and cover that quite thickly with unsalted butter, yum!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SuzieMac » 15 Jan 2010, 22:02

Sounds bloody beautiful.

I love jellied eel myself ,long and slippery and talkative.
SuzieMac

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 19:20

Kitchen smell wonnerful! Have Thai basil, chili, sage leaves, garlick, spanish onion and mint to flavor the goat stirfry.

Will deepfry some of the basil and sage for garnish, rest will get added when goat nearly ready! some nice small new potatoes to go with, yum!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 20:26

Hmmmm goat simmering away! Smells very very nice! garnish ready: fresh & deepfried basil & sage leaves, some chili, scallion & mint
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 21:17

Goat is yummy! Nice and hot from chili but but has lots of lovely basil-mint-sage flavors! The little new potatoes were an inspired touch if I say so myself.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 21:54

God, I am stuffed to the gills with goat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jan 2010, 20:57

Oysters and candied balsamic vinegar go very well together! Much better than lemon juice!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 23 Jan 2010, 09:51

Candied balsamic vinegar? Is that a sweetened vinegar?
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2010, 09:55

Yeah, balsamic vinegar and sugar. The sugar gives the vinegar a lot of body--why not visit the wayville farmers market tomorrow and grab a bottle?

A lot of Thai cooking is like that, a source of sourness and a little bit of sugar.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2010, 22:49

From "Berries, a book of recipes" Anness Publishing Ltd, London

Stir Fried duck with blueberries

2 duck breast fillets (about 175g each)
2tbsp sunflower oil (actually, just dry-fry the duck, fuck the oil)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red wine
1 tsp creme de cassis
1 cup fresh blueberries

mint, salt, pepper

Slice duck breasts crossways into thin slices. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper

Heat frypan add oil (if using, works better without but must stir meat constantly) for 3 minutes. Add red wine vinegar, sugar, red wine and creme de cassis, bubble for 3 minutes to reduce to a thick syrup (if using oil drain it off before adding the liquids.)

Stir in the blueberries (wash them first) sprinkle over with chopped mint, slam onto plates and add mint leaves for garnish.

Serves 4
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2010, 23:16

Same book:

Summer berry salad with fresh mango sauce
1 large ripe mango, peeled, stoned, chopped
Rind of one large unwaxed orange (Seville if you can find them, use seville if wanting orange peel in a beer)
Juice of three oranges
Caster sugar, to taste
2 peaches
2 nectarines
1 small mango, peeled
2 plums
1 pear or half a small rockmelon or a dragonfruit
Juice of 1 lemon
2 heaped tsp strawberries
2 heaped tbsp raspberries
2 heaped tbsp blueberries
sprigs mint if you want to ponce it up

Process large mango in blender until smooth, add the orange rind (zest) juice and sugar to taste and process again until smooth. Press through a sieve until smooth and chill.

Peel the peaches, slice and stone the peaches, the plums, nectarines and small mango. quarter pear, remove core and slice or peel/seed melon or peel dragonfruit and slice. Place sliced fruits on a large plate, sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration and cover with cling film then chill for up to 3 hours--less is better because of discoloration of fruit.

arrange sliced fruit on serving plates, spoon the berries on top, drizzle with some of the mango-orange sauce and ponce up with mint sprigs if you like, serve remaining sauce separately.

makes 6 servings

I dunno, I reckon a 20ml splash of gin in the mango sauce would be good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2010, 23:17

Had the first for dinner tonight, will buy the shtuff at Farmers Market and make the second tomorrow.

Now, some nice fresh Iranian dates, hmmm!

Reason I posted two berry recipes, berries are available, nice and fresh, get stuck into them, full of vits and fibre and antioxidants!

I had raspberries and more blue berries in a fruit salad after the stirfried duck!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2010, 16:47

FUCK! No blue- or rasp- berries anywhere! So do that second berry recipe next weekend.

Tonight I am making Thai fishcakes! Will post some piccies. These fishcakes are fucking great, better than what you get in restaurants!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 24 Jan 2010, 18:52

You should post piccies of every dish you prepare, boss! Your recipes make my mouth water!

:c
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2010, 19:11

hehehe I been banging on about--and cooking--these fishcakes for quite a while but no one else has made them. Not that much work and very deelish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jan 2010, 21:46

Ok, gonna upload a couple piccies--don't go 'way now!

The tagine--Moroccan stew or ragou:

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/tom/cooking/tagine.JPG

The tagine--Morrocan conical-lidded cookpot:

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/tom/cooking/tagine_2.JPG

Hmmmmm tastes good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jan 2010, 10:23

Getting hungry, thinking of making a bacon sandwich, still have a couple rashers Kanmantoo bacon and a nice tomato.

(not growing maters this year and maybe not next year, waiting for pest to die off.)

Hmmm bacon sahny with tomato & fresh-picked, homegrown basil, cut the tomato into bits and piled them with the basil, grated fresh-ground black pepper over, a generous blob of EVOO, mixed it all up and piled onto the bacon. Fucking deeeelish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jan 2010, 21:46

Oh man! Just ate a big bloody delicious TBone steak!

Had a nice big bit of fillet (a TBone shoud have meat on either side of the bone, the smaller piece is bit of fillet, without a nice bit of fillet you don't have TBone just cheap meat with a bone in it.) At least 1"/2.5cm thick is the go or it isn't steak and is hard to cook properly

Turned on the big burner, put frypan on top of burner, went away for 10 mins, got steak out of fridge and grated fresh pepper on both sides of the steak. Put some oil in the frypan--which has been over pretty high heat for nearly 15 mins and oil moves in that peculiar way it does in a nice hot pan. Spread oil around a bit, put steak in. Huge sizzle, oh yeah pan is hot :hot let it cook for a few minutes till nicely seared, turn over, slightly shorter time to sizzle, turn over once again, sizzle sizzle and put on plate, Bit of chili sauce and/or soy sauce is all you need , veges a sacrilege, I am eating meat tonight! (next few days may be a bit veggy I will admit.

A word about BBQs. Waste of fucking time if they are gas fired! Easier, more convenient to put under grill of stove in kitchen and a lot less flies! No, the only BBQ (or grill) worthy of the name is wood or charcoal fired, burn them, let it die down to a bed of coals, grill/BBQ. I have bay trees, fruit tree branches I had to cut, should give the BBQ some nice flavors, if I can find a real weber kettle might even be able to add a smoky flavor: wish I could get a nice offset smoker!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jan 2010, 20:13

Honeydew melon and prosciutto, sweet and juicy melon and tangy ham--looks good, tastes better!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2010, 19:20

Ummmmmmmm Ohhhhhhhhhhh (I'll have what she's having) eating a chantelle melon I just picked! Sweet, juicy, gorgeous flavor and huge aroma! My taste buds are orgasming!

And so fresh, couple minutes from picking to eating! If you plant nothing else plant a couple chantell melons next summer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Howard Stinks » 05 Feb 2010, 10:21

Dolmades yam
Howard Stinks
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Feb 2010, 10:32

Dolmades are great. Tonight having just cold buffet as usual with ham, braesola, redpepper pate, smoked salmon roulade, and beef kibby balls and stuff like that. Washed down with a bottle of Wychwood brewery "Goliath."

So have picked a melon and several cucumbers, have several honeydew melons nearly ready to pick. Can't beat homegrown!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Feb 2010, 21:41

Hmmm several roma tomatoes chopped up, quite a bit of homegrown basil, leaves torn, bit of sliced scallion (spring onion) & clove or 3 of garlik, sprinkle little bit of sugar over, then bit salt, fresh ground pepper, good slurp of olive oil and let stand while I cut up a ball of buffalo mozzarella and added that.

fucking delicious salad!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2010, 18:37

Just picked a ton of pungent basil and some mint! Gonna be some great tomato sauce cooked tonight!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 09:52

Hmmmmm!!!! Eating half a honeydew melon, picked yesterday, been in fridge. Incredible depth of flavor! Can see why they are called honeydew--I can taste honey in it! Oh man, nothing beats homegrown!and plenty more melons waiting to be picked--picked another Chantelle melon this morning, smells divine, HUGE aroma coming through the skin!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic