Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby mantra » 10 Feb 2010, 10:03

Stop making me jealous. I've just had 2 slices of burnt toast with a scraping of stale vegemite.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 10:25

ahahahaha poor old Mantra!

you don't grow fruit or veges in your garden? Your sandy soil & location is a natural for asparagus BTW! Artichokes and the similar cardoons would also be good--and make nice flowers I have seen used in flower arrangements!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 10:26

Vegemite, you really know how to hurt an old Monk! :purple
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 10 Feb 2010, 11:03

I've never heard of cardoons and never tasted an artichoke - the appearance has always turned me off. I love asparagus though. My vegetable garden did not thrive, although the parsley is tolerable. I made a couple of mulberry pies recently - there was a tonne of fruit, but I couldn't touch them so gave them away. You have to add too much sugar and the cooked fruit smells of silkworms.

I'm not a big fan of vegemite - but it's easy.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 11:04

Might need to grow veges in containers maybe?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 10 Feb 2010, 11:07

Yes I think I will. The ground although great for plants with deep roots - dries out too quickly with anything else.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 11:14

Cool, can swap piccies :roll :bgrin

can make no dig patches with a weedmat, old newspaper spread out over then straw then potting mix, compost etc etc with straw bales making the "container" and after a couple-three years the straw is really nicely rotted and mkes great compost or mulch. Pea straw is cheap enough. Include some clay in the mix somehow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 10 Feb 2010, 11:31

God that sounds like hard work. It's difficult enough just trying to weed between my pathing stones, let alone lug huge bales of straw around to make veg. beds with and then hope that they haven't been smothered by jungle 3 years down the track when they're ready to use.

I think it's easier to walk up to the corner shop and buy my vegetables.

I've got heaps of natural compost anyway - I wouldn't buy it.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 11:33

Yeah, you just put bales around to form a container. Will last quite some time, can be used 2-3 years easy.

Otherwise, buy or scrounge plastic pots--light to move around.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 10 Feb 2010, 11:36

Yes - I've got some large plastic barrels cut in half lengthways and given to me by a neighbour years ago.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 11:40

Excellent, they would do well for veges. There is a cucurbit plant grown like 5m long by 3m wide and half a metre high! Full of fruit! Yeah!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 11:40

OK I have to go out in the blech heat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2010, 20:39

Had to drive Mum to shopping centre today. Because arthritic hip was hurting I just browsed a couple of bookshops while she did her shopping.

Dymocks still having a closing down sale. Got a couple of books incl Peter fitzsimmons "Tobruk", a mexican cookbook and ta ra (drum roll. . .) "Icecream From Cassata Semi Freddo to Cider Apple Sorbet" oh yeah baby!

Gonna empty freezer out on Rubbish day, I'm gonna make icecream! wooooooo!!!!!

Hmmmm Irish Cream sorbet, hmmm tomato icecream (tomato??) Goats cheese and balsamic ripple, Vodka and Citrus Twist. Oh boy, gonna have fun! gonna put on weight!

Also a DVD of David Attenborough's Life of Plants Vol 1

And, Naffie, you spiteful, gossipping old cunt who sticks her sharp nose where it doesn't belong, Mum went to a craft shop not Woollies OK? If it was heavy shopping I would have helped, sore hip or not. Your life must suck if you always have to make your spiteful remarks about other people all the time, usually based on unfounded assumptions driven by bile. I am so glad I am not like you!

If you weren't such an ugly old bitch and sourpuss maybe you could have joined the Gurls' Forum, that might have done you some good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 11:15

Back from Farmers' Market, eating a chocolate mousse with a layer of caramel and Maldon sea salt. Sounds awful and weird, is deelish, unique! Yum yum! Life is good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 14 Feb 2010, 11:20

HBS Guy wrote:a chocolate mousse with a layer of caramel and Maldon sea salt.

Aaaarrgggghh!! Recovering from hangover. That's the last thing I want to imagine!
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 11:24

If you lived the pure and clean life like me you wouldn't get hangovers. Tut tut!

Blech, a pure life is a fucking boring one!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 14 Feb 2010, 11:31

Sobriety is so overrated. Why go through life completely aware?
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 11:35

Absolutely, have a holiday occasionally! So it costs, so what! Who expects anything in life to be free? OK not talking weeklong benders here, any of us.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 12:00

OK just put two bottles in the 'fridge.

Lobo (for lobethal!) Perry and Timmerman's Lambic Kriek.

The Lobo is not a true Perry being made from ordinary pears not traditional perry varieties--perry is cider but made entirely or mainly from pears rather than apples BTW. So who gives a stuff? Apparently (according to the chocolate man from Farmers' Market has a nice caramel flavor to it!

Timmerman (=timberman=carpenter in Dutch and Flemish Belgium) is a lambic ale flavored with cherries. It is a sour beer of which there are three types: lambic, Flemish Red and Old Flanders Brown Ales (Rodenbach is an example of this easily aquired.) A lambic ale has a grist (mix of grains) similar to a wit, being about 40-45% unmalted wheat with the rest malted barley (malt.)

A true lambic is only made in pajottenland where the microscopic flora in the air are suitable. After a boil the hot wort is transferred to a coolship or wide flat shallow vessel in the ceiling of the brewery. Louvres are opened and the breeze and its load of bacteria and wild yeast blows over the cooling wort. the wort is run into fermenters when cool and an ale yeast pitched, the ferment happens and the beer is run into barrels for long aging when the wild yeasts and bacteria sour the beer. Wheat has a lot of protein and this protein nourishes generations of bugs.

Few breweries do this anymore. The wort is made and chilled in a plate chiller on the way to the fermenter like any beer and pitched with a ale yeast, then transferred to stainless steel tanks and various cultures added at predfined times. Is this as good or better? Don't know, wasn't drinking sour beer until quit recently.

If you don't like sour beer that is fine, but do try a Mort Subite cassis before deciding. Sour beers can be very refreshing.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 13:10

Since I am reluctantly closing my shop--arthritis is killing me and the concrete floors there have no spring or give in them, last day open is next Saturday--I am going to enlarge the hole where the 17L pan currently is and replace with much bigger black plastic basin--this might be enough to support a few frogs? It is much closer to the back fence than the house so the frogs might, with luck, keep back door neighbors awake at night :purple :purple :gsp :bgrin

Anyway, on way back from looking at the broms and where the hole for the basin would go I picked a HUGE fucking honeydew melon, a nice pumpkin and a couple apple cucumbers. A few yellow, elongated fruits are there as well, maybe these are the six month melons I bought a plant of (always like to try something new.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 13:33

Looking through icecream book, fuck me some of the icecream uses 12 eggs or egg yolks for 6-8 servings! A lot!

Can't see one for melon icecream--tons of fresh, ripe melons available here ATM!!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 14 Feb 2010, 13:47

Make some melon sorbet - not as fattening or rich.

* 1 pound, 5 ounces diced watermelon, muskmelon or honeydew
* 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons vodka
* 9 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/4 cups

Directions

Place the melon in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the lemon juice, vodka, and sugar and process for another 30 seconds. Place the mixture into the refrigerator until the mixture reaches 40 degrees F; depending on the temperature of your ingredients and refrigerator, this could take 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Pour the chilled mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 13:52

You can't stop yourself from reading what I post to the Food thread eh? :bgrin

Very nice, tho I will use Bombay gin instead of tasteless vodka.

Have a question tho, where can you buy an icecream maker? Now shop is closing and I am semi-retiring I guess not quite so important but I would like the donkey work done by a machine. More precise. Or a brand name of icecream maker.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 14 Feb 2010, 16:26

Your food thread is interesting.

I thought you had an icecream maker - I know that there is a huge variety. I've never made ice cream - although I used to have a manual slushie maker. You can get them in Australia online - $40 up to $800.

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--296_Sm ... s_9497_e__
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2010, 16:29

Ok had to drive Mum to shopping centre again

**** for the disgusting old cunt Naffie ****

I bought a 30' cabin cruiser and made my old Mum drag it all the way home! She did alright except on the downhill bits, didn't complain until I hung the 60Kg anchor on her back!

**** now for normal people ****

Got Keith Austin "Seafood"

Lisa Dyer (hopefully not dyering from the recipes!) "Potato dishes"

Paul Kirk "The smoked food cookbook" incl smoking in a Weber kettle!

Alex Barker "Egg--the definitive guide to choosing, cooking and enjoying eggs"

I met Alex once and said "You haven't got bacon and eggs in your book!"

"Ah" he said "a new recipe!"
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic