Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 15:51

He likes hairy things that smell of fish.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Oct 2017, 15:56

HBS Guy wrote:He likes hairy things that smell of fish.

the big difference is that with that sort of thing, you stay away from it if yeast is involved.
johnsmith
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 16:00

johnsmith wrote:

the big difference is that with that sort of thing, you stay away from it if yeast is involved.

Ewww :b
greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 04 Oct 2017, 16:01

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Ewww :b

:c
johnsmith
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 16:44

What are you having for dinner tonight, Dame Booby?

greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

Postby Squire » 04 Oct 2017, 17:09

Neptune's gonads?
Squire
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 04 Oct 2017, 17:17

Squire wrote:

Neptune's gonads?

was 'Neptune' another of bobbys socks?
johnsmith
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 19:04

Oven warming up, sauce made, veges washed & cut up, bocconcini sliced. Also some anchovies sliced into strips. Been eatings Mum’s cooking for 2 weeks—underseasoned to buggery!

First pizza ready soon.

Second one is a meat pizza, ham, sopressa and a small chili flavored salami.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 19:47

First one is nice, nice thin crispy crust. Tangy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 21:17

After the radiation technicians had, at maximum magnification, at last located my brain (located at a certain location south of where it is in other people) and did the scan and I could go I walked across Sturt Rd and was in Westfield Marion where I had parked my car. Needing a couple things for the pizza I walked to the Woolies “super” market.

Got what I needed, saw the mangoes, bought a mango, a punnet blueberries and a banana. Fruit salad with a bit of custard.

The custard was nice, the fruit was totally fucking tasteless! Obviously the “Fresh” Food people had stored all this for nearly 12 months now getting rid of what is left for new stock.

I reckon the blueberries were initially chosen for the moon mission! The FIRST moon mission!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 10:03

Some good and tasty food for dinner tonight:

Camel sirloin steak and broadbeans!

I bought a sweet potato, maybe roast that?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 10:07

Asparagus is back in season. Want to make a batch of pasta and make asparagus raviolo, giant ravioli.

Will look up and post the recipe. Better check I have the durrum semolina and flour, or maybe try all 00 flour?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 18:24

Fed the big fruitcake another cap of St Agness brandy. Looks good, smells awesomely rich!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 00:48

I bought a 12.5Kg back of wholemeal flour a couple weeks ago. Then I got that bloody inner ear problem. Flour is still in the car, will move it to the second fridge tomorrow, emptying out what is left in the old bag to make a sourdough starter.

Want to make some loverly bread. Came across a new one, pasta douro. Good bread for dipping, hard to make because it is so low hydration but will try.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 07:16

Just bought two books:

1. IPA (India Pale Ale) about brewing this wonderful ale that only was commercially made for 2-3 decades yet left a lasting legacy in the form of Pilsner lagers. In England the style degenerated into bitters.

Then we had the homebrew/craftbrew movement starting in the 1970s—I have books by two British stalwarts who informed the movement to bring beer brewing back into the home, Wheeler and Line and some yank pioneers like John Palmer. Ray Daniels wrote “Designing Great Beers” that systematised the categories of beer.

A properly made IPA, pale, bitter, full of flavor, is a wonderful thing.

2. “Malt” making my collection of works on the ingredients of beer—malt, water, barley and hops—complete. If I was studying the make up of ingredients of commercial Australian beers—thin, tasteless and incapable of holding a head of foam—I would have a volume on the main ingredient, sugar. Yuk! Yes, sugar has a role in a few beer styles, Belgian Trappist beers like Chimay and in big beers to dry them out a little but not, NEVER as a main ingredient!

The same goes for unmalted adjuncts, flaked or puffed wheat or barley or oats or cornmeal. A little can be used to add a bit of grainyness or boost head retention but only two styles need a lot of adjunct: wit beers 40% unmalted wheat or oat stouts, oatmalt not being easy to find.

Thanks to arthritic joints I will be setting up a small brewing set up in Tassie but can do two mashes to make a bigger beer and that certainly includes IPAs! Really big beers like barleywine might be beyond a small set up like that. Ah well. Nothing wrong with a well brewed bitter or a clean lager up to 5%abv.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 14:54

Got a new book by post today:

Chinese Cooking, step by step Techniques by Yan Kit Martin.

This was highly praised in readers reviews on Amazon. Printed in 1984 but Chinese cooking is fairly timeless. Apparently keeps true to the original cuisine, no easy shortcuts. Plenty chinese stores in town around the market.

Will look up a couple recipes to cook next week.

Excellent!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 Oct 2017, 03:22

sigh
you make stuff I've never even tried to make. Like bread (sourdough) Saw it being made the other night on ? River Cottage Australia.. or Gourmet Farmer (SBS) hmm I think River Cottage.
Looks easy, but timing is obviously crucial.

I cook for one... ME. Nearly every night for the last 15yrs or so. It does get tiresome I must say, trying to engage and enjoy my efforts. I'm not a bad cook.... but my repertoire is limited, compared to yours.

Tonight I made a spicy fish noodle soup, which I enjoyed. My take on a thai soup. Quick and easy. Very fragrant and tasty, tho perhaps I should have stayed with just Thai Coriander and/or VietMint

Red Emperor fish fillet (small), cut into small chunks (skin on)
Green beans-halved
Ginger finely chopped
Thai Red chili (homegrown) chopped into ginger
Bouquet of Curry Leaf (homegrown) removed before serving
' Mae Ploý Green Curry paste(small amount)
Lemon juice
Fresh crushed black pepper
raw sugar
Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce (a few drops)
Sesame Oil (a few drops)
Rice Bran Oil
Thai Perennial Coriander(homegrown)
Vietnamese mint(homegrown)
Basil(homegrown)
Water
Rice Vermicelli

Heat Rice Bran Oil in heavy-based Saucepan till v hot. Add ginger/chili, stir, then add green curry paste. Stir. Do not burn.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir so not sticking. Turn down and cook a couple of mins till fragrant.
Add fish chunks and gently saute and toss in the spices, add green beans, lightly saute then add water to cover.
Raise to nearly boiling while
Adding black pepper, Curry leaves, turn down to simmer.
Add sugar, soy sauce, more lemon juice, continue slow simmer, then Sesame oil , and then lastly fish sauce.

Prepare Noodles as directed.

Place noodles in bowl, add soup, and top with finely sliced Thai Coriander and other herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
Other veg such as Zucchini, and cucumber can also be added as desired.
YUMMY
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 08:23

Wow, you grow a lot of herbs, even curry leaves.

Yup, cooking for one is a bitch.

LOVE Thai food!

Have you tried to make Thai fish cakes?

The bread is OK—bread freezes very well.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2017, 12:10

Might try a stubby or two and then buy a carton or two for summer:

Session Ale joins Coopers Beer Family

October 11, 2017News
COOPERS - SESSION ALE 2

Coopers Session Ale is a refreshing summer style beer with tropical fruit notes and an aromatic hop character from the Galaxy and Melba hop varieties used in this brew. It will be available in keg to the on-premise (hotel) trade around Australia from October 9.

Coopers National Sales and Marketing Director, Mr Cam Pearce, said Session Ale had been developed to meet the growing demand for fruity, easy-drinking summer style beers and filled a niche in Coopers’ unique range of ales.

“Session Ale is brewed using Coopers’ traditional secondary fermentation process that eliminates the need for additives or preservatives,” he said.

“Being secondary fermented, the beer will also have the slightly cloudy appearance of our unique traditional ales.

“Our brewers have used pale and wheat malt and a combination of Galaxy and Melba hops along with a “secret ingredient” to brew Session Ale.

https://foodmag.com.au/session-ale-joins-coopers-beer-family/

I rarely drink the Coopers Pale Ale, it finishes flat and really needs a belt of hops late in the boil.

Galaxy hops:
. . .the Australian Galaxy hop. Easily the most recognised Australian hop variety, the Galaxy’s flavour profile can stretch from passionfruit, to peach to clean citrus depending on where the hops are added in the brewing process.

http://www.urbanbrewco.com.au/hip-hop-australian-galaxy/
Nice clean aroma/flavor by the looks. Can’t remember offhand if I ever bought it for the shop.

Melba hops:
Bred by Ellerslie Hop Estate, Melba or “The Dame of Hops” as it is affectionately known, is a dual-use variety with high oil content and similarities to Galaxy. When used as an early addition, it is said to impart a clean and somewhat spicy bitterness. When used as an flavor or aroma addition though, properties of passionfruit, grapefruit and citrus come to the fore.

7%AA, likely the late armoma/flavor hop with Galaxy at 11%AA the early bittering addition.
http://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/melba/

Well, that sounds promising!

A boil (the brewing part of brewing) is usually an hour (well, for homebrewers it is, commercial steam heated boils may be different) with bittering hops added at the start. All aroma and most flavor of these hops is usually lost in the boil, some split the bittering into two, 60 minutes and 30 minutes later but probably a waste of hops. Flavor addition of hops is made when 15 minutes of the boil is left and an aroma addition when the heat is turned off (and/or dry hopped, some cones of an aromatic hop added to the container in which the ale sits for a couple of weeks to finish the last fraction of the ferment and drop the yeast etc out.

So clean, refreshing citrusy with a hint of spice. Sounds like excellent summer drinking!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Oct 2017, 01:25

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, you grow a lot of herbs, even curry leaves.

Yup, cooking for one is a bitch.

LOVE Thai food!

Have you tried to make Thai fish cakes?

The bread is OK—bread freezes very well.

I've had the Curry Leaf tree for years. I wish I had it growing in a pot though. It is so prolific a tree that constant vigilance is required to stop it taking over and creating a whole frikkin 'grove.!!
My chili's are pure Thai. My former sister-in-law is from Thailand, and has presented me with the best food I have ever eaten, without a shadow of doubt. She brought her spices with her, on a yacht. I have been growing those chillies for the 25 yrs since.
Nah no fish cakes... it doesn't seem worth the effort.
pinkeye
Chihuahua

Postby pinkeye » 13 Oct 2017, 01:31

I'll always remember her Sticky rice, (not dessert) which we rolled into balls and dipped into the most delicious range of dishes. Mashed Mackerel with an amazing blend of spices, for one. YUM.
Also, Green Paw Paw Salad. Oh my god. I helped prepare.. used a big cleaver to chop chop the Paw Paw ( Papaya) ... the best. I never had a better one in any thai restaurant.
She came from Northern Thailand, and used the most amazing ingredients. Sigh. Have to catch with her again .
pinkeye
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2017, 06:02

That sounds incredible!

The fishcakes are VERY worth it and with a food processor not that much work! The food processor cuts the cucumber into batons inside a minute, ditto the beans finely sliced (using the discs) and mashes the fish, fish sauce, curry paste and egg, put in a bowl, add the cornflour (or tapioca flour) and chopped coriander then form 16 balls, mash to flatten, cook 2-3 at a time in my little deep fryer. Greggy suggested putting some coriander in the

Recipe is for 16 balls which is dinner for 2 people so just halve the recipe.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 00:53

HBS Guy wrote:That sounds incredible!

The fishcakes are VERY worth it and with a food processor not that much work! The food processor cuts the cucumber into batons inside a minute, ditto the beans finely sliced (using the discs) and mashes the fish, fish sauce, curry paste and egg, put in a bowl, add the cornflour (or tapioca flour) and chopped coriander then form 16 balls, mash to flatten, cook 2-3 at a time in my little deep fryer. Greggy suggested putting some coriander in the

Recipe is for 16 balls which is dinner for 2 people so just halve the recipe.

That does sound beautiful. I'm practically salivating at the thought.
I could make some, .. I don't have electrical appliances, I do manual labor to produce the pastes and such. :bgrin Yeah so, I also don't deep fry anything. Just my choice for cooking food. I steam mostly, for veg , or grill, as in under a gas grill (mainly for fish ) Steaks I cook in a pan, in Rice Bran Oil. I try to keep my proteins quickly available. :bgrin

However I also make beautiful slow-cooked beef cheeks, Ox-tail, Not Lanb so much.. too fatty for my taste.
I like to add lots of green herbs to my veg when steaming, and try not to overcook them. I lavish freshly ground Black pepper on just about everything I eat. I also add salt, freshly ground.

Interesting really that SALT is necessary. I was feeling really off colour for some considerable times (yrs) :roll :roll :huh and finally something I read clicked, and I comprehended that I had virtually NO SALT in my diet ( at that time). Since then I have been pretty salt-happy. Feeling a lot better ... so strange are the ways, :roll :roll :OMG
pinkeye
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 01:01

Yeah—fad diets are a big peeve of mine!

People drink soy milk not cow milk (or nut milk or rice milk etc) no calcium or protein! Osteoporosis around the corner!

Those who claim they are lactose intolerant—yet drink goat milk/goat cheese. It is casein their gut reacts to not lactose!

And those who say they are coeliac and don’t eat bread, bread IS the staff of life! Yum! And gives proteins other foods don’t!

My sis is vegetarian no dairy no wheat—always tired. Scoffs a heap of eggs—body crying out for protein, for red meat! How people fool themselves!

My former business partner was younger and fitter than me, never smoked, abstemious with alcohol and he died Nov 2007 and I am still here enjoying myself and just ensuring I eat something nourishing and a bit balanced and leave it at that. Drink a bit too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 02:03

Well, I made plenty of fishcakes before I got the latest and greatest Kenwood with lots of attachments inc the food processor. I buy the red curry paste already made up, it is really good, the fish cakes could be shallow fried easy enough, only take a minute or two a batch.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic