Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 23:06

Yeah, the odd meal--will remember to use the moulie--with mashed floury spuds, garlic & cream could be a goer a couple of times in winter.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2009, 17:31

Now, I skived off work late this pm and shot off to the Christmass Eve Farmer's Market to pick up the tart I had ordered. Bought a couple deelish chocolate mousse for desert tonight (no, not both for me, even I am not that big a guts!) and while waiting bought a couple cookbooks from the stall on the other side of the aisle.

Fire and Spice: Parsi cookery Joy Westrip, and

Mogbul Cooking, India's courtly cuisine by the same author

A few recipes from these books will be posted! Warm up those salivary glands now!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2010, 20:53

Woa, where did I put those books?

Have a double batch of "Curried potatoes with peas" cooking, all veg except I used chicken stock but you could use veg stock no probs.

Pleasant burn, a wet curry, jasmine rice also cooking. Just that will be mains--some veg after all the carne of christmass etc, get the guts working again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 02 Jan 2010, 16:25

I have beautiful baked ziti cooking in the oven. This is an old family favourite which my Nonna taught me. I love it. Penne, Romano cheese, chili, fresh tomato puree, beef, home grown garlic, basil, oregano, eggs from my brother's chickens, salt and pepper, home made beef stock. Served with crusty bread and Cooper's Stout. The aroma has taken over the house. Ah! Is there a better way to spend a Saturday?

By the way Monk, is there a dairy version of apple butter?

Looks like nice weather tomorrow. Might bbq some lamb chops. Will need to marinate tonight if that is the case.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2010, 16:32

We demand a more detailed recipe! That sounds almost good enough to eat!

Nah, only lemon butter has dairy, the rest are all fruit as is Deepshit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2010, 16:40

Bought some great books at Dymocks at Marion--used my $50 voucher well--they are closing down so mega discounts--tomorrow is last day!

Prepare for mouth-watering recipes to be posted soon!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 03 Jan 2010, 00:07

I got into an argument with a bookstore employee about a month ago. I picked up some books and went to the counter to pay for them. While that was happening, the idiot began giving me a lecture about how I have no refund or exchange rights because the books are textbooks. Maybe I was tired from work but I just said loudly "Must you be a lying cockhead?!". The guy didn't know what to do or say and other customers appeared shocked. I told him what a load of shit that was and, "if the text books are faulty in any way I will be back for an exchange, do you understand me?". "Yes" he said. Glad I sorted that out. :bgrin

Back on a happier note, the baked ziti is bloody good enough to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: This makes heaps of the stuff. For a smaller amount, halve the ingredients

2 litres freshly pureed tomatoes (peeled and seeds removed)
5 eggs, beaten (add tiny bit of pepper to it for some punch)
Around 300g - 500g of beef (you can use either minced, corned or freshly cut beef)
300g freshly grated Romano cheese
pinch of oregano
pinch of basil
1 1/2 cups of beef stock
1 level teaspoon chili or curry powder
2 cloves freshly crushed garlic
pinch of salt and pepper
1.25kg of penne

Heat large saucepan, add olive oil and let garlic simmer for 1 minute. Add beef and brown. Add tomato puree, oregano, basil, chili/curry powder, beef stock, salt and pepper. Let sauce simmer on low for 1 hour. Boil water and cook penne al dente. Drain penne and place back in pot. Add sauce and mix thoroughly. Then add Romano cheese (in two stages) and mix thoroughly. Then add eggs and mix thoroughly. Grease baking dish (you might need 2) with olive oil and pour mixture into it until it is just a little bit higher than the dish's height. Place into pre-heated oven. My oven requires 180 degrees Celsius for an hour and a half. Every oven requires different times, I've noticed. Once it is nicely browned on top, you know it's ready. It usually needs 1 1/2 hours on 180 degrees Celsius.

And that's about it. Fine Italian food.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 07:01

Kewel!

None of that is hard to get, sounds like a great dish to make too much of, freeze what doesn't get eaten at once and heat that up for a quick, tasty meal.

Thx Celly!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 15:36

Wow!

Flicking through "Morocco-Mediterranean Cuisine" fantastic recipes and I actually have Moroccan mint growing! Gonna be some cooking here soon!

Watched a Moroccan cooking demo at the farmers market--helpful!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 15:47

Wow! I have dry-roasted tomatoes before, but this recipes calls for orange blossom water and saffron and cinnamon sticks! Can't wait to thry this!

Wash toms, cut stem bit off, cut cross into base, plunge into boiling water for a bit then into iced water, peel, cut lengthways and scoop out the snot. Put on (enameled) pizza tray or similar, pinch salt, orange blossom water (100ml for 1Kg toms) sugar (500g) and 5-6 cinnamon sticks. Cover with foil and bung into 150C oven for 45 minutes. Serve hot or cold. these are, d'uh, sweet tomatoes, good hot or cold or to garnish a tagine (Moroccan stew.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 16:19

For Celly (and any other beer drinkers) do try the Unibrou beers: Maudite, Troy Pistoles, La Fin du Mond (there are others but these three rool!)

They may not be available downunder for all that much longer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 03 Jan 2010, 17:19

Dan Murphy's I presume?

Are they going out of stock or something?
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 17:23

The strong rumor is Unibrou will no longer export to Australia, just US/Europe.

And by the christ they are lovely beers!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 19:03

Ummm

batching tonight.

Was thinking of plain toasted cheese sango but, sheeit! got loverly basil this morning, got loverly baby spinach should be able to make MUCH more interesting yummies for din dins! Still involves cheese tho but no sangos!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 19:28

Chard & basil pizza

Made with slices off a heel of a bread loaf

Some firm cheese I hope will melt

Basil, baby spinach, garlic, chilli, panch phora masala on the cheese (cumin, fennel & that type of seed, will improve the taste of the cheese.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2010, 19:29

You make pizza, Mantra?

Chard (spinach or silverbeet) & basil makes for a great pizza and all vegetarian!

Hmm scraped a nutmeg over the chard, helps.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 08 Jan 2010, 20:01

As the one who does 99.9% of the cooking in our household, I told my other half that he better cook tonight because I want a night off. After pestering him to near death, he decided it was much easier to cook a meal than to try a win an argument with me. Guess what he made? Sausages! The cunt!
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:07

hahahahahaha tears are running down my face!

snags are safe, easy.

Teach him good Italian sausages plus speedini, not bad for a quick mixed grill. I love the chimichurry snags, they are thick so I put them on first, then the hot snags then the speedini, hmmmm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:15

What I am eating is even simpler and perfect for a hot day:

Lovely ripe rock melon, chilled in fridge
Thinly sliced rashers of prosciutto

Yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 08 Jan 2010, 20:19

Sure sounds nicer than store bought sausages cooked in a frying pan. Ah! I'm going to eat lots of watermelon to get rid of the taste in my mouth. I want a divorce!!!!
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:23

Oh, it is delicious! Tangy salty prosciutto, then the sweet, juicy melon! yummmmmm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:30

Looked for any of thise Unibroue beers? they really are topnotch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 08 Jan 2010, 20:48

I haven't had a chance to get to Dan Murphy's. Will try Sunday.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:57

Trust me, you will thank me!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2010, 21:38

Taramosalata is nice once or twice a year. Deelish with balsamic mushrooms, almond stuffed olives, pickled octopus chargrilled capsicum or eggplant.

Heh, also bought two tins of tuna in springwater: bit of lettuce, tomato, dill gherkin etc and you have a nice meal in five minutes, no cooking!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic