Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 20:55

Coconut milk is much lighter than cow milk!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2009, 22:04

Hmmmmm boy oh boy!

Fucking sardines really go really fucking well with potato salad! Fucking oath they do!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2009, 22:42

I used the ready-bought Storm salad/stir fry dressing. slightly sweet which went just so fucking well with the sardines! Hmmmm so yummy! Sardines were crumbed then fried nice and crisp, this really worked well--and remember these were fresh sardine fillets, not fucking canned shit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2009, 22:43

Dill gherkins are da business here, oh yeah! Damn! Forgot the lemon myrtle seasoned flour, with that hint of lemon, but will remember on the 25th!

BTW, if you can, fry the suckers outside on BBQ or camp stove or whatever--christ they stink when you cook them!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby A.G » 14 Dec 2009, 23:15

Potatoe Salad -

Cooked and cooled desiree or other slighty waxy potatoe, try 6 -10 potatoes of small to meduim size depending on how many you are catering for. Can be boiled as cubes 1- 2 inch cubes for a quicker prep.
Use salted water.

Mayonaisee ( Praise ) dont buy the non oily/egg variety..get the real deal with egg.

Sour cream.

Dill pickles..Polskie Orgorki, not the sweetened variety. I small jar.

-------------------

In a bowl stir in Mayonaisse, enough to generously coat the cooled boiled potatoes , add in equal amount thickened sour cream and stir thru..

Chop drained dills into small peices and stir thru , no liquid at this stage..

Stir everything throughly taking care not to break the potatoes, which if they are not overcooked should be fine.

If you like you can add in a small amount of dill liquid from the jar I do because I love the piquancy ..and its done.

PS..you can add in finely chopped leg ham and or chopped boiled eggs, not part of original recipe, but is still nice, and the longer you leave it to marinate, the better it is..

Prepared properly this is a beautiful poatoe salad of German origin..not like the awful old Aussie offering mum used to make.

Not one sardine in sight :hush
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
A.G
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2009, 23:20

hahahaha

I rarely use mayo

but the fish go with the potato salad, really!

:bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 18:36

Hmmm got some fantastic basil at the Farmers Market today!

So instead of making a curry, going to slice & fry the pork fillet I got with spring onion and garlic, chili, thai basil leaves, tad fish or soy sauce and cover that with a fantastic tomato sauce with all that lovely basil added in the last minute. Will slice a couple chilis to add to the tomato sauce and picked a bit of rosemary to go in at the start.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 18:44

Good oh

My hands are rough from pulling up that grass and have planted a second punnet of lobelia. Tomato sauce is slowly simmering, life is good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 18:53

Me and my suppertime naps, boss!

Seems I cannot just take a little nap, I end up sleeping as long as a whole night's sleep. Then I will be up into the middle of the night, go to bed just before dawn, then get up in the late morning.

Are you cooking spaghetti for dinner, Tom? Yummy!

:thumb
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 18:57

No, not spaghetti, pork with tomato sauce, bought such a lovely bunch of basil at the Farmers Market I wanted to use that so changed from pork curry to pork with basilly tomato sauce :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 19:54

Yeah, you should go to one of those Markets (bring inhaler etc) and cook up a storm then freeze a lot of it, nothing better than a large batch of sauce cooking.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 19:58

Yummmmy for those who love to cook, like you Tom!

:giggle
annielaurie
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 20:00

hahahaha yeah I love to cook, take hours and make a big mess but the food tastes good. Good? Great!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 20:09

You would not be able to stand me at all, you would shake your head in horror! I buy prepared foods - fresh deli foods, canned foods, or frozen foods - then I slap simple meals together that take me ten minutes to fix.

Or a frozen entre will take forty minutes to cook, then I eat it with a simple green salad with dressing that comes out of a jar. I buy all the good brands, not junk, but it's still prepared. No fuss, no muss, no bother, and only a few dishes to wash!

:bgrin
annielaurie
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 20:15

Yeah, I often cook 2-3 times as much as is needed, take it to work and freeze it (have a sided by side fridge-freezer and a chest freezer--no lack of space!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 20:25

Hahaha! I have a regular apartment-sized refrigerator and matching electric oven-stovetop for my tiny kitchenette. The brand is Hotpoint, General Electric. I hate gas appliances, love electric, much cleaner, and no gas lines going through the floor!

The stove is lightweight and is on little feet, so I can move it away from the wall, and clean behind it and under it.

My fridge is too heavy for me to move, of course. It has a freezer compartment at the top, and the regular space with shelves below. Plenty of room in it for food for me, boss! You would take one look at it, and shake your head in despair!

:read
annielaurie
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 20:27

hahahahaha then I would go to market and buy fresh stuff and cook up a storm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 20:31

OK, sauce nearly ready, going to cook pork, back in half an hour or so.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 21:03

Ok, eating a steamed dim sim, pork slowly simmering away, tomato sauce needs to be passed through moulie, reheated & basil added.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 21:19

Neat! About your tomato sauce, what's a moulie?

See, if I were cooking pork, I would simmer a thick pork chop still on the bone in a skillet on the stovetop, in a bit of butter and olive oil - with a sprinkle of chopped basil, salt and pepper - and then fix a tossed green salad with sliced tomatoes and baby onions, with a garnish of of raspberry vinaigrette dressing!

That's one of my favorite meals! Takes less than twenty minutes and tastes absolutely delicious!

:meet
annielaurie
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 21:41

A moulie is a sieve with a blade in it that you turn with a handle, so the food is forced against the sieve, beats trying to push food through a sieve with a wooden spoon!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 22:43

Oh yeah! When I was a little girl, my father had one of those, it was called a Foley's Food Mill.

He used it to grind up boiled potatoes into fine flakes, so the mashed potatoes would be smooth without lumps! My dad made the best mashed (whipped) potatoes I've ever tasted!

My dad was in the Navy and he was a wonderful cook!

:c
annielaurie
Administrator

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 22:46

Moulie is a french word, or brand name rather. Yup, save heaps of time!

Pork and tomato sauce was heaps good! Bit of a burn from the chilli, lots of herb flavors--rosemary and basil--and bit salty, the fish and soy sauces. Perfect!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 22:50

We never have mash preferring simple steamed or occasionally chipped.

Anyway, horrible bil came to dinner here, ALWAYS has mashed potato for dinner {shudder) and he put his fork in the mash potato Mum had made, lifted--and the whole fucking pile of mash came up as one stiff mass. I still treasure the look on his face hahahahaha oh man!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 20 Dec 2009, 22:56

My dad used to cook delicious beef potroast, and so would serve the dinner with perfect whipped potatoes (not slimy, dry with perfect snowy peaks) and savory beef gravy! Yummy, one of our favorite meals ever! So I have a good memory of mashed potatoes ..

:roll
annielaurie
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic