Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jan 2018, 10:02

Yes, nice, salty, crunchy. Do try some next time you see them.

Dinner tonight will be a salad sort of inspired by Jamie Oliver who I rarely watch but, with all the fucking sport on TV I had it on the food channel. (Thinking of having the telly in the kitchen in Tassie, with glorious classical music in the lounge. Who needs that noise all day.)

Got the usual salad greens, some radishes, cucumber etc.

Have a bocconcini, will break that up, tear into bits and scatter. Have parma ham, thread that through the salad. Olives stuffed with garlic, some black olives, feta stuffed little peppers, some truffled salami, fresh and semi dried tomatoes. Dress with lemon juice and EVOO, garnish with parsley.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2018, 12:51

I am having Lobster for dinner tonight. Canadian Lobster, in fact. Whole lobster for $25, our lobster is $100/Kg, ridiculous.

Have it on a nice green salad freshened with some mint.

Bought smoked salmon and smoked wagyu beef, delicious!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2018, 22:17

Hmmmmmm! That Canadian lobster was very tasty! Lobster, green salad, capers, pomegranate seeds etc. Very nice!

I LOVE lobster, don’t think much of prawns. Like oysters as well.

Fish shop had sea urchins too, already prepared etc but I had seen the lobster so too bad! Sea urchin roe is bloody nice tho. Just I had eaten sea urchin not that long ago so the lobster won out.

BUUUURP!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 24 Jan 2018, 01:13

HBS Guy wrote:Hmmmmmm! That Canadian lobster was very tasty! Lobster, green salad, capers, pomegranate seeds etc. Very nice!

I LOVE lobster, don’t think much of prawns. Like oysters as well.

Fish shop had sea urchins too, already prepared etc but I had seen the lobster so too bad! Sea urchin roe is bloody nice tho. Just I had eaten sea urchin not that long ago so the lobster won out.

BUUUURP!

Drool!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2018, 02:44

Just chops tomorrow, feral goat chops. Coleslaw of red and green cabbage probably, dunno what dressing yet.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 28 Jan 2018, 22:33

I cooked the skirt steak the other day. Approx. 500gms.

Decided I'd go for a Chilli Beef.

So less spices, more chillies, much more paprika. No onion and only garlic chives, curry leaf, ginger, sugar, soy sauce salt and black pepper.

Carrot, Celery, Flour.
Green beans

Slow cook.

Worked good. Served with plain white rice and herb for garnish. Very tasty. Incredibly rich with a clear chilli beef signature, as I'd hoped.
Still have half frozen, so not a waste of money time and effort, after all. :)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jan 2018, 23:10

Sounds good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2018, 00:09

HBS Guy wrote:Sounds good.

Yeah. I can do better, but one only learns through trial and error when it comes to cooking.

I just get a bit too carried with the density of the spices. But still yum... and the second time round.. :roll :bgrin umm err it only gets better. :)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2018, 06:11

Too many spices means just enough spices!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 31 Jan 2018, 07:28

Grabbed the last of this seasons mangoes off my little tree and whipped up a nice mango curry when in-laws came down for dinner - it was a hit! :jump So much so that I gave most of the leftovers away to them (I'm the only curry eater in the house so the little bit left after that was enough for me). Bit difficult to characterise it exacly, flavours leaning more toward Indian-inspired rather than Thai/Southeast Asian.

I've never been a really big dessert eater but I don't mind main meals that have a little bit of sweetness to them.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby pinkeye » 31 Jan 2018, 23:05

Lefty wrote:Grabbed the last of this seasons mangoes off my little tree and whipped up a nice mango curry when in-laws came down for dinner - it was a hit! :jump So much so that I gave most of the leftovers away to them (I'm the only curry eater in the house so the little bit left after that was enough for me). Bit difficult to characterise it exacly, flavours leaning more toward Indian-inspired rather than Thai/Southeast Asian.

I've never been a really big dessert eater but I don't mind main meals that have a little bit of sweetness to them.

OK sounds surprisingly current for me because a neighbour has been giving me mangoes for the last wee while. I was thinking Mango curry.. truly!! :roll
.. but , having received a new bag of mangoes today, AND having some Hot Curry that could use a lift... I think it will become a new dish for me to enjoy.

Thanks for the inspiration..:)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Feb 2018, 05:35

Make some mango butter with cardomom. Can in tiny jars. Fucking yum! Great combo, the mango and cardamom!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2018, 18:14

Fish cakes frying!

yum yum yummybuns!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2018, 19:01

Fish cakes were absolutely delicious! I love dipping the cakes in the cucumber relish. Hmmmmm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 02 Feb 2018, 19:49

HBS Guy wrote:Fish cakes were absolutely delicious! I love dipping the cakes in the cucumber relish. Hmmmmm!

Oh hush up you. !!

I love Thai fish cake. Never made them.

My Chilli Mango Beef Curry was MAG.!!!!!!!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2018, 20:59

Thai fish cakes are gooood.

You can buy some cheap fish, deap sea bream say (present mutt LOVES fish skins, my chihuahua turned up her dainty nose at them.

You need picked Chinese garlic, lil bit ginger, bunch coriander, an egg, tbsp tapioca/cornflour, cucumber, green or snake beans, bit vinegar.

And Thai red curry paste. Some good ones on the market.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 03 Feb 2018, 02:22

Fish and chips :bgrin

"You know I don't like grilled fish"

"But you eat fish and chips - and now I've thawed out the fillets dad gave us".

"Ok, I'll eat them in a wrap"

"No can do - they'll have bones in them"

So fish and chips from the shop it was.

But I did make a nice lime and garlic dipping sauce to go with it :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2018, 05:34

The trials and tribulations of a home cook.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 03 Feb 2018, 07:14

HBS Guy wrote:The trials and tribulations of a home cook.

Yep, it's hard sometimes :bike
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2018, 09:08

Grilled swordfish is to die for—and is a much cheaper fish than flathead, whiting, gar etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 Feb 2018, 00:01

HBS Guy wrote:Grilled swordfish is to die for—and is a much cheaper fish than flathead, whiting, gar etc.

Hmmm I have grilled swordfish.. I don't deny it has flavour, and the texture, hmm I don't know maybe I overcook it... not my favourite fish, but would probably be good for fish cakes. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2018, 06:38

Nah, are cheaper fish to use for fishcakes. Not sure swordfish would be suitable.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2018, 08:47

Hmmm nice truss cherry tomatoes. Washed them, salt, pepper and EVOO, into a hot oven. Cleaned 250g small mushrooms, sloshed some more EVOO, added them to the ’maters 45 mins after the ’maters went in.

Slices of a boiled spud were shallow fried till nice and crispy. Time nearly up, slid two chook eggs into boiling salted water, cut bread, put on plates, slathered with goat curd, put a slice of gravlax on, bit of aioli on top, chopped mint & basil.

Put everything together. Not half bad!

Don’t normally eat fried potatoes for breakfast in summer! (or ever, really.) I have tried hash browns when on the road—tasteless. Made my own hash browns—tasteless. Had a nice yellow waxy spud, thought why not try it? MUCH better than hash browns!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Feb 2018, 23:44

Lefty wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:The trials and tribulations of a home cook.

Yep, it's hard sometimes :bike

Especially when you mainly only cook for one. I mean, that's OK, but I get so sick of trying to get up the enthusiasm to cook sometimes. This usually comes over me early afternoon. :grn What am I going to have for dinner? :grn

Usually as dinnertime approaches I get more interested. :bgrin :bgrin :yellow
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2018, 07:22

I am planning to have my main meal in the afternoon once in Tassie. Have more energy then. Bloody joints hurt just from standing while preparing a meal: so I am setting my kitchen up that I can do the preparation while sitting down. That is how things used to be done, housewife sitting at a table preparing the food to be cooked.

Eye level oven and grill too! Fuck this bending over shit! Cupboards under the bench to be big drawers. Wooden floors not concrete slab.

LOVE to have a cellar: see all the bottles of booze and jars and jars of preserves I make neatly stowed away in the constant temperature and dark of the cellar. Depends, think the digging might get too expensive.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic