Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jun 2018, 08:09

Nope, sorry!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jun 2018, 15:25

I batch of broodschotel in the oven.

Nice way of using up stale bread. Nice stick to the ribs winter food.

The Dutch cookbook (from just after WWII) has another 3-4 recipes, variations on a theme. Will try them.)
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jun 2018, 11:02

Bread*
Woodside goat curd
capers
slice smoked salmon
poached duck egg

On the side:
dry roasted cherry tomatoes - roasted 1 hour
mushroom-roasted 15 minutes
round pancetta rolled up and dry roasted 15 min
fennel bulb topped with parmesan shavings and dry roasted 15 minutes§

* Bread, more like bread substitute, “wholemeal English muffins” it said on the packet I had to rush out and buy because I had forgotten to buy real sourdough bread yesterday.

§ Will try roasting that for 30 minutes next time.

And I had a mandarin after. Love mandarins. Have a tree but it bears sour fruit. Maybe good for preserving? Hmmm. Will prune the fuckers out of it, I think, throw a bag of pigshit around it, might get a decent crop next winter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Jun 2018, 10:49

I never thought of roasting dried tomatoes, how did they taste ?
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jun 2018, 11:10

Dry roast, slice in half, sprinkle bit salt, pepper, sugar, bit EVOO.

Not roasting dried tomatoes!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Jun 2018, 14:40

you know what's even worse monk is I had to read your reply and the one before it about 10 times before I got it.... and ive only had one sip of wine, give me a few hours and ignore me lol
ohh and I nice wine too, I was giviin it about a month ago.
umm Wynns.. the banker cabernet very nice.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jun 2018, 17:34

Great winery in a great region in a great State, a State I will be deserting. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Jun 2018, 18:00

Yes hard to find a good wine here. Still a few near us, south Burnett have a few..... clovelly estate is not bad.
Is a organic wine here, name uncle bobs wine, ones I’ve had where just drinkable but aperently his new one is good, I’ll have to try.
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jun 2018, 18:01

Plenty good wine in Tassie, plus cider, thankfully.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Jun 2018, 18:33

Yes mercury draft was always my favorite.
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jun 2018, 18:37

I drank that way back in the 60s & 70s.

It never was made with cider apples tho: ciders made from cider apples have bitterness from tannins.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jun 2018, 18:50

There are four types of cider apples:

Bittersweet. Provide tannins and lots of fermentable sugar.

Bittersharp have acidity as well as tannins

Sharps—have acidity, no tannins

Sweet—these are more to dilute a too–bitter cider or one with maybe bit too much tanning or acid.

I have four Yarlington Mill and two Dabinette bittersweets plus Brown Snout bittersweet.

I have Breakwells Seedling as bittersharp and Improved Foxwhelp as a very bittersharp, Sweet Coppin as a sweet cider apple and two King Davids (a cross of Jonathan and either a winesap or Arkansas Black apple.) Granny Smith could add a bit more tartness if need be, Jonathan some complexity, etc. I will plant a winesap and hope that between Granny Smith, winesap and King David I can can some nice vinous, tangy apple juice for drinking and cooking. A crab apple to make pectin jelly.

Early apples don’t store well, will need to sell or dehydrate or juice or make apple butter etc from the early eating apples. Later apples will store fine, especially if I can get that cellar dug.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Jun 2018, 08:06

I have a native apple tree growing but its a very slow tree.... I'm trying to cover my place with edible native trees and bushes :thumb
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 19 Jun 2018, 08:38

DonDeeHippy wrote:I have a native apple tree growing but its a very slow tree.... I'm trying to cover my place with edible native trees and bushes :thumb

a bit of native bush is fine especially if the wife doesn't find out :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Jun 2018, 08:49

specially if its edible :B
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 09:03

Don’t overfertilise fruit trees. Try just mulching with native mulch or just compost. Especially in spring. Sheep shit is not a bad manure, low nitrogen high potassium so include a bit of that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 10:46

From shit to breakfast!

Toasted the two halves of my one remaining “english muffin” and with it two slices pancetta and a tomato cut into two. Fried a duck egg in one of my silicon rounds. Hmmm need to do a bit more basting of the egg in future, slightly undercooked whites.

Was fine. Not as good as dry roasted tomatoes though! Duck eggs poach really quickly, take a while to fry tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 12:49

Pray for me. About to eat spicy chicken on rice. Only thing hotter was tofu. Nah to tofu.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 12:51

There is a New Mexican restaurant in Gouger St (city, where Market is.)

Must try that sometime soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 13:13

Was nice. Spicy but not super spicy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 15:45

Bought some of these at the market:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 19 Jun 2018, 16:42

HBS Guy wrote:Bought some of these at the market:

fungus! :OMG
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 16:49

Fungus indeed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 16:54

Pine mushrooms, make an incredible risotto.

Want to try them in pasta some time soon. Will buy more Thursday—season isn’t long and excess rain etc can see them disappear early.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jun 2018, 17:04

Hoping some native morels appear soon. Talk about FLAVOR!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic