Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 03 May 2018, 23:09

HBS Guy wrote:Cheese cake cooked.

Need to buy some cream to put on top.

Now I understand about culinary delight, but seriously?? Cream? Hope you've got a healthy gut and LIVER.

I haven't bought cream in decades, quite literally.!
I don't eat ice cream, or yoghurt, and as far as fried foods, as in deep-fried..? Nope. The latter is more to do with cooking for one.. but deep frying, I can't see how it can be good for you. Now, I partake of wine, so I'm not saying you mustn't do this, or eat this, BUT.. you may find, you'll feel better if you remove some items, depending on your physiology, from your diet. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 01:20

Cream is nice! I love it!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 May 2018, 02:16

HBS Guy wrote:Cream is nice! I love it!

Well yes.. I don't deny that. I enjoy it too, once in a couple of years or so. :bgrin

No I've just sort of left most dairy behind, over the last decade or so. Even longer. It just doesn't agree with me. :bgrin
And? I can't have that.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 02:40

I LOVE dairy!

Yoghurt, cheese, cream, butter, milk! Good for you!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 May 2018, 02:53

HBS Guy wrote:I LOVE dairy!

Yoghurt, cheese, cream, butter, milk! Good for you!

Yeah I understand that. I like cheeses.. the more vintage the better.. crumbly, tangy yum.

But Milk? A2 maybe. I have tried that in the past, but it is not available in a suitable size, for me. I had to give it to the dog.. and too much milk, is NOT good for her.

I only use milk in my cuppas.. I love tea.. but I use 1% calcium enhanced UHT milk.
It doesn't leave a rim of fat on the tea, and allows the clean taste of the tea to come through.
I LOVE Tea.

I never drink coffee.
I don't need the caffeine rush.. it makes my heart rate go up, and I feel a bit shaky and , dissatisfied. :?
Nope.. I never drink coffee.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 07:14

I drink full cream unhomogenised milk from Paris Creek dairy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 15:28

Two weeks since I ordered the pasta extrusion attachment for my Kenwood Chef. Supposed to take a week. Will wander down to the “Service Centre” early next week

Hope I can get the dies I want without too much hassle (spaghetti, vermicelli and macaroni/penne. The penne one has a die for orecchiette)

The first time I made pasta on my pasta roller there seemed to an endless amount. I hung what I could on the (rather swastika–shaped) pasta drying frame then hung more over the back of kitchen chairs etc.

I didn’t close the kitchen door. I have a dog always hungry and not too fussy about what she eats. Never found so much as a crumb of the pasta I hung over the chair backs. Guess she liked the smell of the eggs in there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 May 2018, 16:09

HBS Guy wrote: I hung what I could on the (rather swastika–shaped) pasta drying frame then hung more over the back of kitchen chairs etc.

mum used to use switches made from either bamboo, or cane across the back of two dining chairs..
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 16:29

Your Mum didn’t have a hungry terrier around the place, I bet!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 May 2018, 17:12

HBS Guy wrote:Your Mum didn’t have a hungry terrier around the place, I bet!

sure she did ....but she kept him outside.

No way he would touch her food when she cooked or he'd find out another use Italian women have for a switch :roll

I always taught my dogs to not snatch food anyway. SOme were more successful than others
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2018, 18:25

Terriers tend to persist in what they are doing, are not give up easily type dogs.

My pasta would have been safe, I think, with my chi, Tiffany. This present mutt just never stops!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2018, 00:26

my big girl is very respectful, and only dares to mooch on any available food, when I give it to her. Of course, it hasn't always been like that.
I've learned my lesson now. If there is food around, I make sure I know where she will be. But she'd never take food, when I'm home. She had a traumatic and very SCARRED puppyhood, and I only got her when she was about 3 yo.... 3+ yrs on She is now the most loving dog.. more up for cuddles than any dog I owned before, even ones from home litters.

Now, I don't know if YOU know, but MOST dogs DO NOT WANT you hugging and kissing them, they don't like it... as a rule We think they do, because we project our needs onto them.
They will allow you to do so, but you need to read their language. Panting, head shaking, licking , turning away, are all signals we don't understand, mostly, as human beings. But they indicate STRESS.

Too many humans are so self-centred they don't even concieve of such an idea. No its love I'm giving..!!

Well not always seen that way by your dog.

OOOps off topic
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 10:46

Too true, pinky! Dogs don’t have arms so don’t understand hugs. They like being petted and LOVE a nice scratch on their back near the tail.

A dog that sits on your lap a lot when you are sitting in an easy chair in your longue etc is a dog showing dominance over you. The floor is the place for a dog, other than say a ten minute session on your lap.

At the first dog obedience club there was a woman with no control over her dog. As trainee instructor I tried to tell her that her dog needs a leader else it tries to be leader but it can’t do what a leading dog does, find food and water, doesn’t work. Oh no, she couldn’t be the boss. Dogs don’t understand democracy, idiot! A dog believes in a hierarchy and are happy when they know their place in it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 05 May 2018, 11:06

my dog had an uncanny knack of knowing when I was in a bad or sad mood. Normally he was always up to mischief, even when sitting in the lounge roon (he typically preferred it outside) he would always try to push himself onto you ... but if my mood was sour he would sit at my feet with his head resting on my knee, and stay like that, immobile, for hours if needed (totally out of character any other time). It worked too ... usually seeing him like that would usually brighten my mood within minutes.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 12:06

A dog will study you—body language, facial expression, tone of voice—until the day he dies. How else can he please his leader?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 18:56

What a job!

Two flat onions, thinly sliced
Two chicken breast fillets, cut into small cubes
Two chicken thigh fillets, cut into slightly bigger cubes
250g brown button mushrooms, thinly sliced
25g dried wild mushrooms, reconstituted in boiling water, chopped quite fine.
Bunch flat leaf parsley chopped fine.

Plus bits of flour and garlic and double cream

Letting it cool down then will put it in a stoneware pot, cover with pastry, bung in the oven.

I had a thought—rare and usually dangerous I know—I have spinach, cheese and pastry—a big spanakopita for dinner tomorrow, finish up the cheese and spinach and use some more of the pastry.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2018, 21:21

that all sounds yummy to me.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 21:39

Chicken pie was great.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2018, 21:44

HBS Guy wrote:Chicken pie was great.

Just one thing.. :roll as thigh fillets have more structure and fat than breast fillets, shouldn't your breast fillets been cut larger than the thigh, not smaller.? :bgrin

Sorry.. couldn't help myself. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 21:48

No idea. Breast fillet is drier.

Dog, of course, enjoyed the bits fat/connective tissue I cut off.

Once she has gobbled it down she is told “carpet!” and retreats to the dinette, out of the way of falling knives or hot pans etc and can’t trip me up carrying the same.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2018, 21:58

HBS Guy wrote:No idea. Breast fillet is drier.

Dog, of course, enjoyed the bits fat/connective tissue I cut off.

Once she has gobbled it down she is told “carpet!” and retreats to the dinette, out of the way of falling knives or hot pans etc and can’t trip me up carrying the same.

Namaste...

Oh my GOD.. that brings back OP memories. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 22:05

THAT brain damaged idiot is still there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 May 2018, 22:19

HBS Guy wrote:THAT brain damaged idiot is still there.

Figures.The place is full of them.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2018, 22:33

Yup, Light, horseboy, yadda, valkie, sprint, FD. . . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2018, 19:34

Dinner tonight will amaze you.

A Villies pie and a Villies pasty.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic