Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 02:15

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah—fad diets are a big peeve of mine!

People drink soy milk not cow milk (or nut milk or rice milk etc) no calcium or protein! Osteoporosis around the corner!

Those who claim they are lactose intolerant—yet drink goat milk/goat cheese. It is casein their gut reacts to not lactose!

And those who say they are coeliac and don’t eat bread, bread IS the staff of life! Yum! And gives proteins other foods don’t!

My sis is vegetarian no dairy no wheat—always tired. Scoffs a heap of eggs—body crying out for protein, for red meat! How people fool themselves!

My former business partner was younger and fitter than me, never smoked, abstemious with alcohol and he died Nov 2007 and I am still here enjoying myself and just ensuring I eat something nourishing and a bit balanced and leave it at that. Drink a bit too.

I've never actually been on a díet'. Don't believe in them. I prefer to eat as balanced a range of foods as poss.. within reason. I like/need protein and carbs, limit animal fats and try to eat greens. I eat almost NO fruit.

( MY older sister is/was vegan last time I saw her.. many yrs ago now, BUT :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :grn I'll remember our last seemingly genial meal together, forever. :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
In a Thai Restaurant at Broadbeach, she asked if she could have a vegetarian Green Curry with NO FISH SAUCE.!!! :bgrin :bgrin :roll :roll :roll :grn
OBLIVIOUS.

I don't stress on food..I decided some years ago now that I'd eat what my body told me to... just making myself food evry day does get a bit tiring. As you have concurred. Occasionally I have take- away,.. very occ.
Ahhh.... Battered Fish and Chips, salt and lemon juice.... my most indulgent favourite.
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 02:18

Yup, really good chips and some aioli to dip it in.

I eat a lot of fruit, eat the fruit bowl empty then wait for the next trip to the market. Can’t wait for mangoes to appear! Mango and cardamom butter, just spread on toast <heaven>

In Tassie—4 cherry trees! Apple trees! Plus peach and citrus. Cider apples too, for, errrr, cider!

(reckon I might get 2 more cider apple trees, have a sweet and an acid cider apple, reckon could make and can some neat apple juice, hmmm! Or get a winesap and granny smith can apple butter, apple juice oh yeah. An apple, forget the name, earlier than Jonathan and a bit more acid. Buy that to make sure the early cider apple trees pollinate (get a crabapple too, pectin jelly, pollination etc and a decorative crab or two.

Plant a banana tree in the conservatory? Have one in Adelaide and it gives fruit.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 02:56

HBS Guy wrote:Yup, really good chips and some aioli to dip it in.

I eat a lot of fruit, eat the fruit bowl empty then wait for the next trip to the market. Can’t wait for mangoes to appear! Mango and cardamom butter, just spread on toast <heaven>

In Tassie—4 cherry trees! Apple trees! Plus peach and citrus. Cider apples too, for, errrr, cider!

(reckon I might get 2 more cider apple trees, have a sweet and an acid cider apple, reckon could make and can some neat apple juice, hmmm! Or get a winesap and granny smith can apple butter, apple juice oh yeah. An apple, forget the name, earlier than Jonathan and a bit more acid. Buy that to make sure the early cider apple trees pollinate (get a crabapple too, pectin jelly, pollination etc and a decorative crab or two.

Plant a banana tree in the conservatory? Have one in Adelaide and it gives fruit.

:) Yeah ..protect the banana tree from frost and cold winds..you never know. :)) I want a smile emoji.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 09:50

Smile emoji?

:bgrin

:thumb

:c

:giggle

:clap

Those not fit the bill?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 23:14

HBS Guy wrote:Smile emoji?

:bgrin

:thumb

:c

:giggle

:clap

Those not fit the bill?

They're great.!
But there isn't a smile. A simple friendly calm smile.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 23:17

Hmmm OK, let us see if we can find one. . .

The coffee one was a fave of the person who put this collection together.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 23:18

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Oct 2017, 23:47

Good Grief. !! That link??? :OMG

I don't like any of the ones I actually checked. :rofl :slap
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2017, 02:22

Will keep looking.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Oct 2017, 23:56

Better do that tomorrow. Was rather crook today.

Was reading the Woodbridge website about their crabapples.

Three of four of those would be nice, two ornamental, one strong pectin one strong acid, all help in pollinating the apple/cider apple trees. Strong pectin—make pectin jelly, keep in freezer, add to jams where needed. Acid one can help add acidity to juice and cider and a couple ornamental ones.

Pectin:
John Downie
Ripens: June - July

A crab apple originating in the UK. Grows to a largish tree and bears ridiculously heavy crops of acid but quite acceptably edible crabs. Longish in shape and striped orange when ripe. This is the one for crab apple jelly.

Acid (for “zing” :bgrin :)
Jack Humm

This is actually a cross between Gorgeous and John Downie crab apples. Clusters of bantam egg sized bright crimson crabs, excellent for jellies and a great addition (for a bit of a zing) to fresh juice and cider.

Dwarf apples (trees are dwarf not the apples :roll :bgrin )
Stayman's Winesap
Ripens: April - May

An improvement on its parent Winesap, this old American variety originates from Kansas in the 1850's. It matures late and traditionally was an apple prized for being able to store through the winter. It's got an aromatic and distinctive pleasing vinous flavour.

Be a nice juicer as well as eater.

Early cooking apple:
Sugarloaf Pippin
Ripens: January

A long narrow shaped pale yellow apple with white on the sunny side. Crisp, with high acid content making it quite zingy eaten fresh and excellent cooked. A seedling from a white transparent and like it's parent doesn't keep long. Interestingly, it died out in England, and we have sent propagating material back to the UK.

Will also help to pollinate the early two ciderapples.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 16:02

After half a dozen “sashimi” sea snot aka Smoky Bay oysters :roll :bgrin I will have some sashimi kingfish and some sashimi salmon.

I reckon 2 oysters with lemon juice, two with soy sauce and two with sweet chili sauce will be nice.

I have some seaweed salad to serve with the fish.

Tomorrow:

Breakfast—smoked salmon, capers, cream cheese red onion rings (not on bagels, slices of baguette)

Dinner—Thai fish cakes

Just don’t say I don’t eat enough fish! :OMG plus chicken dim sim tonight and smoked chicken Sunday. Enough white meat for any three food nazis! But will have some lovely thick “Sardinian” pork and sage sausages. Might cook them in the smoker too! Mesquite chunks sounds good (in the fire chamber!)

Heh, I even have the fucking dog on fish! To help with the “grass allergy” AND her bowel problem dinner for her twice a week is half a tin of sardines in veg. oil plus a nice (chhhuuuuunnnnnnddddeeerrrrrrrr!!!!!!!) heaping helping of “Cream of Pumpkin” (heave!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 17:19

Raw fish is so damn NICE!

Sea fish, not fresh water!!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 18:13

Raw fish

Raw oysters

Emu paté, NOT raw.

All nice! Nice full tummy.

sinuses—nice and clean, courtesy of a bigger-than-intended helping of wasabi :OMG the heat the heat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 20 Oct 2017, 19:12

HBS Guy wrote:Raw fish

Raw oysters

Emu paté, NOT raw.

All nice! Nice full tummy.

sinuses—nice and clean, courtesy of a bigger-than-intended helping of wasabi :OMG the heat the heat!

I love a good wasabi burn.
greggerypeccary
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 19:20

Good thing is—only lasts 2-3 seconds.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 19:23

Ahahahaha I served Mum some sashimi tuna with some wasabi. She forked a bit of fish and as I saw just too late, a big green blob. Into her mouth it went. She held her head very still for a little while and I figuratively saw smoke coming out her ears. She then turned to me and said “I don’t like that green stuff!” :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Oct 2017, 20:00

Dinner being prepared:

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 21 Oct 2017, 19:49

I was reading the local paper online a few months ago when I seen a story of a Greek family who had owned a local takeaway in a small town roughly 45 clicks from me were closing and retiring after nearly 60 years of trading.
I mentioned the story to the wife and suggested a trip to have a visit before they closed. The homemade chips and scollops are as good as you will find a bit sad really Greek cafes were common when I was younger there are none here now.
davo
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Oct 2017, 20:21

Yeah, me and my older sis used to cycle to a fish and chip shop in Ascot Park, get the f&c and cycle back. Chips lovely and crunchy. Fish not all batter, real fish. This was Fridays and we watched the Bugs Bunny show, so superior to the dreadful Simpsons, while eating our fish and chips.

Nowadays it costs $8 just for decent chips.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 29 Oct 2017, 09:02

Chili mud crab tonight. Never made it before.

Cutting and cleaning the poor creatures still slightly alive wasn't enjoyable.

For either
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 10:17

Couldn’t put them in the freezer for an hour?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 29 Oct 2017, 23:00

HBS Guy wrote:Better do that tomorrow. Was rather crook today.

Was reading the Woodbridge website about their crabapples.

Three of four of those would be nice, two ornamental, one strong pectin one strong acid, all help in pollinating the apple/cider apple trees. Strong pectin—make pectin jelly, keep in freezer, add to jams where needed. Acid one can help add acidity to juice and cider and a couple ornamental ones.

Pectin:
John Downie

A crab apple originating in the UK. Grows to a largish tree and bears ridiculously heavy crops of acid but quite acceptably edible crabs. Longish in shape and striped orange when ripe. This is the one for crab apple jelly.

Acid (for “zing” :bgrin :)
Jack Humm

This is actually a cross between Gorgeous and John Downie crab apples. Clusters of bantam egg sized bright crimson crabs, excellent for jellies and a great addition (for a bit of a zing) to fresh juice and cider.

Dwarf apples (trees are dwarf not the apples :roll :bgrin )
Stayman's Winesap
Ripens: April - May

An improvement on its parent Winesap, this old American variety originates from Kansas in the 1850's. It matures late and traditionally was an apple prized for being able to store through the winter. It's got an aromatic and distinctive pleasing vinous flavour.

Be a nice juicer as well as eater.

Early cooking apple:
Sugarloaf Pippin
Ripens: January

A long narrow shaped pale yellow apple with white on the sunny side. Crisp, with high acid content making it quite zingy eaten fresh and excellent cooked. A seedling from a white transparent and like it's parent doesn't keep long. Interestingly, it died out in England, and we have sent propagating material back to the UK.

Will also help to pollinate the early two ciderapples.

Umm thought about Finger Limes? Must admit I've never tried it but would think it'd go great with lots of the stuff you are into.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 29 Oct 2017, 23:07

Francis wrote:Chili mud crab tonight. Never made it before.

Cutting and cleaning the poor creatures still slightly alive wasn't enjoyable.

For either

Umm yeah. You really need to chill them out first. I'd do that for half hour or so, then, if they appear really sluggish ( but NOT dead) you put them into a big pot of boiling salted water. I have heard of, and tried, crab cleaned before cooking, umm it was delicious, without some of the gnarliness of crabs cooked in all their glory.. BUT... , all things considered I prefer the wild caught wild cooked variety. :thumb
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 23:22

I think finger limes are a bit tropical.

Will get a lemon and hopefully a lime, know where they will get morning to mid afternoon sun plus protection from the wind. Blood orange tree or two! Lovely juice for gelato make great marmalade!

Seville oranges too!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 30 Oct 2017, 04:00

HBS Guy wrote:I think finger limes are a bit tropical.

Will get a lemon and hopefully a lime, know where they will get morning to mid afternoon sun plus protection from the wind. Blood orange tree or two! Lovely juice for gelato make great marmalade!

Seville oranges too!

you think. ?
Be careful with citrus plants. From the point of view of the natural plants folks, like myself, citrus are significant for spreading out of control. Slow growing.. oh yes. if you ever decide later on that you don't want them,? they are very hard to get rid of.

I have to say your pic and the idea of raw oysters 3 ways has me salivating. Yummo. :bgrin
pinkeye
Feral cat

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic