Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 08:27

Bottle of metho—alcohol rub will help keep cool.

Hmm, not a bad idea there - definately cools as it evaporates. Alcohol evaporates at only 70c and it will happily still evaporate into an atmosphere saturated with moisture, unlike water.

Evaporative coolers might actually work up here if they were filled with metho instead of water. Then again, expense aside it could cause problems if entire towns were blanketed in alcohol fumes :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 08:31

But what a lovely problem to have! Will definitely buy either a bottle of metho or one of cheap vodka.

The yanks can buy 100% ethanol, we can do the same but they add nasty smelling crap to it (not methanol anymore) so only the desperate will drink it. Fancy us being more puritanical than the yanks!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 08:47

But what a lovely problem to have!

It would be - at least until someone goes to light a cigarette :bgrin

Yeah, I'd heard that even though they still call it methylated spirits it contains no methanol - the desperate were drinking it anyway and ending blind or dead.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 09:09

Yup.

Back in the eighties when I had set up the L’unica partnership using my TRS80 as the computer I needed pentathol(?) a higher alcohol sold pure—wipe something, like the lead contacts at the back of the TRS80—and no residue would be left. Had difficulty buying that, apparently junkies buy it to sterilise the skin where they inject themselves with whatever drug. Might try and get some of that, pure alcohol, no stink, no methanol etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Sep 2017, 15:20

Oh me, oh my! Better order new pants with a rather larger waist!

Oh my heart is all pitter pat!

Why?

Just got my copy of Pates and terrines by Fiona Smith.

A thin book, but I won’t be after making some of the recipes! Fuck me, all looks delicious, fresh and innovative. And rich!

Going to start tomorrow, buy the ingredients anyway, make up a shopping list first after reducing the amount a bit.

Piquant goat cheese and red bell pepper terrine. Bell peppers, soft goat cheese, mascarpone, olive oil, capers, dill etc and some crusty bread, a baguette probably.

There is also a Farmhouse terrine with chicken livers, chicken, pork, veal herbs and spices, wrapped up in bacon. What’s not to like?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Sep 2017, 01:03

Got the book “Terrines, Pates and Galantines” today.

Looks bloody good, reading the general instructions—wish I could rush out now and get started! Nearly 60 pages of general instructions!

Will be making some of these soon! Soon as this middle ear problem is over anyway!

Having some stocks and pate etc ready in the freezer for the hot summer will not be a bad thing. (if we get a power blackout as I suspect I can transfer stock and pate to my 30L car fridge/freezer powered by 2 solar panels for quick use, or to an icefilled esky kept on the bottom of my cellarette, depends. I have my 7L car “cooler” can keep drinks cool, depends where I can locate it: under the blood orange tree with white shade cloth over the tree, panels next in hit northern sun, later in the day shift to to the shed, power the 7L fridge in the cellarette? Two batteries?;'

But I will enjoy the preparation—from making the shopping lists, buying provisions, preparing ingredients, cooking and serving and eating the stuff! YUM!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 26 Sep 2017, 08:01

Hmm - does pate freeze ok then? I was wondering if it would freeze successfully or not.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Sep 2017, 10:19

Dunno to be honest, stock does tho. Get a sealer, make pouches of stock, freeze.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 00:08

Started compiling a list of apples, maturing at various times early summer to winter.

Need an early one to pollinate the early cider apples. Bride of Bath will do, nice acid cooking apple, very early ripening (and early flowering.) Apple butter, apple juice when mixed with a winesap.

Then a bit later: Cox Orange Pippin, the superlative. This is a description:
Cox's Orange Pippin

This must be the world's most revered apple, originating in Buckinghamshire England in 1825, thought to be an offspring of Ribston Pippin. An attractive red variation with with the characteristic cox's russet around the collar. Crisp juicy flesh when ripe, with a richness that is difficult to describe except it has all the qualities that make it amazing and memorable.

Sweet, acid, with depth of flavour - a complex flavour that other apples are compared to: 'Oh yes, it tastes a bit like a cox's', and has become a benchmark against which all others are measured.

Will need another pippin for polination (maybe, maybe the cider apples will do.)

For winter (Jun) Granny Smith. Yup, grannies come on the market in March but that is not when they are ripe! Read:
Granny Smith

This famous apple originated as a chance seedling in the back garden of a Mrs. Mary Anne Smith of Ryde near Sydney around 1860. It's thought to be the offspring of a variety called 'French Crab' which it closely resembles. Granny's are large and very green with prominent dots on the skin. The white flesh is very crisp, juicy and acid. Unfortunately the public seldom have a chance to eat fully mature Granny's straight off the tree as they are picked in March and cool stored. If left on the tree long enough they develope a yellow blush and really are good to eat. Great eaten, cooked and also in cider when mixed with sweeter varieties. Suitable for low-chill conditions.

Maybe a Fuji for June harvest.

These are dwarf apples and can be espaliered so take up little room.

And a crab apple to make pectin stock etc.

Winesap:
Stayman's Winesap

An improvement on its parent Winesap, this old American variety originates from Kansas in the 1850's. It matures late and traditionally was an apple prized for being able to store through the winter. It nice and crunchy and has got an aromatic and distinctive pleasing vinous flavour (VINOUS: meaning it shares in a certain flavour complexity and intrigue like wine has. Does not mean it tastes like an old bottle of wine!)

Some of these eating apples could be added to a cider to add sweetness, complexity or acidity etc. Can’t really add cider apples to desert apples like the above: cider apples have bitterness from the tannins and in any case—I want them to make cider!

For a solar house as well as orienting the house, positioning windows etc: need thermal mass from a solid wall: espalier some apples to that wall! Look neat! Or plant these trees in the front yard forming arches over the path:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 00:22

Will plant some natives but not this one I thinkL

Solanum laciniatum Kangaroo Apple

The Tasmanian representative of this widespread Australian genus that contains many poisonous and edible plants (and, overseas, spuds and tomatoes). The fruit of the Kangaroo Apple is poisonous when green, but edible when ripening to yellow or orange, so treat with caution. The fruit are high in Vitamin C, and make a great chutney.

I could just imagine some kid sneaking in to pinch an apple or peach, picks a few green kangaroo apples. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 07:53

Yesterday I ventured out to the shops for nearly 2 weeks.

Bought some steaks. While waiting at the butcher I noticed some jars of peach halves and remembered I had yoghurt at home. So bought a jar (and one of dill gherkins.)

Tried it. Is better than the slimy stuff in the cans, quite acceptable, really but. . .

The peaches were preserved when they were not quite ripe yet. I guess that is inevitable with commercial preserves. The other thing—no spices!

When I preserve my just–picked and perfectly ripe peaches I add a hint of spice. Just a hint, the peach flavor is delicate and easily overwhelmed. In a big pan of peaches simmering in a light sugar syrup I add a cinnamon stick and 2-3 cloves, whole. These really complement the peach flavor.

I also add some lemon! A bit of lemon juice, helps the preserving process and adds just a hint of tartness, offsetting the richness of the peach. The real spice: lemon zest! Sometimes I use my microplane grater, sometimes just the zester, getting nice long strings of lemon peel.

Home made is best!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2017, 14:30

Far out! Just made and kneaded a bread dougn, feel weak, giddy, slightly nauseous. That is what happens when the bits that make up your balance control decide to have a smoko.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Oct 2017, 07:34

HBS Guy wrote:Far out! Just made and kneaded a bread dougn, feel weak, giddy, slightly nauseous. That is what happens when the bits that make up your balance control decide to have a smoko.

How are you today?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 07:46

OK, like most days since waking up crook that Thursday but doesn’t take much to make me giddy.

Heh, put the dough in the oven, set the timer on the iPhone—and went to sleep!

Loaf has a real crusty crust but is fine :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 10:45

Flour, salt, yeast and water, kneaded and worked into a ball (a “tight round” in bakerspeak) and left to rise.

I have anchovies in the fridge.

What am making?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 10:49

HBS Guy wrote:Flour, salt, yeast and water, kneaded and worked into a ball (a “tight round” in bakerspeak) and left to rise.

I have anchovies in the fridge.

What am making?

Pizza?
greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 11:02

Possible but there are other bready dishes, incl a french one.

I also have olives (split and stuffed, in a jar, ugh but all I could get) so. . .?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 11:09

Still could be pizza, still could be something else.

Actually, might make the other dish later this week.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 11:11

Olive and anchovy bread? :?
greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 11:20

aka pissaladière

http://www.delscookingtwist.com/2015/08/05/pissaladiere/

She calls it a tart but it isn’t: the filling is on top like a pizza and it is a yeast dough not a pastry. A nice change on pizza.

I am making pizza tonight but will make pissaladière soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 13:33

greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 13:54

Yes but no but—that is bread.

I am talking about bready dishes.

I love bread! Wholemeal wheat or rye. At the Central Market here I used to be able to get a round rye loaf. It was so rich that when I arrived at my mates place in Bathurst she—and the dog—thought I had a cake in the car :jump

Sourdough is the way to go. However, nothing wrong with yeast (hey! it gives us BEER!) but one thing to bear in mind: the longer you let the leaven work the more flavor your bread has. With sourdough I mix half the flour, none of the salt (retards the ferment) and all the water. Mix well, put in a bowl and cover in a garbage bag or similar. Leave to ferment overnight, make the bread the next day. 24 hour ferment, TON of flavor!

I buy wholemeal flour in 12.5Kg bags, keep it in the fridge in the shed: no weavils, flour doesn’t go rancid before it is finished (wholemeal has the germ meaning it has a little bit of oil and that can go rancid) and keeps it flavor etc.

If buying yeast—store it in the fridge and it will be good for like 3 years.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Oct 2017, 14:04

The strange thing I've noticed about that pic of olive bread I posted, is that they've put butter or margarine on it.

Surely you'd drizzle virgin olive oil over it.
greggerypeccary
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Oct 2017, 14:16

You definitely would! I add 1tbsp EVOO to my bread dough.

Another good thing about home made bread: put seeds in or on the bread. These clean your colon!

If using sesame seeds I add a tbsp sesame oil instead of EVPP, ditto with sunflower seeds.

And for savory toppings—I use EVOO not butter, for jam etc—no butter or fat needed.

When I have fresh bread—first slice thickly spread with fresh butter ooooooohhhhhh gooooooooood!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Oct 2017, 15:49

greggerypeccary wrote:Yum!

I was thinking of this:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/cuisine/recipes/2013082714295/anchovy-and-olive-bread-recipe/

Ciambella all'acciughe e olive

you like hairy fish?
johnsmith
Irish wolfhound

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic