Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Aug 2017, 15:06

Made some peanut butter cookies.

No idea how they will taste. They only keep a week—I was hoping to have some high protein biscuits for in summer if there is a blackout or in any case if it is too hot to eat. Will make Anzac biscuits too but the peanut butter biscuits easy enough to make, can do it in a pan I reckon otherwise put some fucking peanut butter on an anzac biscuit!

Going to make a fruitcake for the same reason, just need a couple things, mixed spice and brandy etc plus some brandywine.

Yesterday squeezed eighteen god damn blood oranges and three lemons, carefully strained then heated the juice, 6 x 150ml jars BO juice, be nice in summer I reckon. Must make absolutely no pith or pip gets in the juice to be canned, BITTER! In a day or two will juice the rest of the blood oranges and can that. Have some navels, reckon can that juice too.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Sep 2017, 16:41

Just canned 1650ml of blood orange juice, makes 2.25L with the first lot.

If the House of Organics at the Central Market still has blood oranges next week I will buy another 2-3Kg and make another batch of juice. Why not? Only cost $3/Kg! Blood orange juice is hard to find and $$$.

Going to search out some recipes using BO juice. Still think simplest and best: gin, BO juice, tonic or soda water, ice.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Sep 2017, 10:01

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Sep 2017, 16:06

I have a shitload of dried fruit in a B I G bowl macerating in brandy and brandywine (strong ale) for a big fruitcake to be baked tomorrow. Looks lovely.

Making that for summer eating, trifle etc. Be healthy enough with all that fruit plus 9 eggs!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Sep 2017, 00:29

Fucking HUGE fruitcake pulled out the oven a little while ago. Heavy bastard it was!

Tomorrow I will poke a heap of holes all over the cake with a skewer then pour a bit of brandy over the top of the cake, to soak into the cake through the little holes. Will feed the cake more brandy every 4 weeks so 4 Oct, 4 Nov, 4 Dec & 4 Jan.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 05 Sep 2017, 07:25

You should be able to drink it by Christmass :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Sep 2017, 08:53

Nah, but it will keep and mature just wonderfully!

2Kg dried fruit, 9 eggs, 600g flour and 500g muscovado sugar, my god!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 06 Sep 2017, 07:55

HBS Guy wrote:Nah, but it will keep and mature just wonderfully!

2Kg dried fruit, 9 eggs, 600g flour and 500g muscovado sugar, my god!

Christ, that sounds like a beast of a cake!! Just the ticket for a large family gathering!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2017, 11:18

Also—500g butter. :bgrin

I baked it to have something easy and quick but reasonably healthy to eat in a blackout on a stinking hot day so will make sure at least half the cake will be left on first of Feb!

Will also make a double batch of Anzac biscuits late Dec.

Made the peanut butter biscuits, very underwhelmed and they only last a week in storage, not what I am after at all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Sep 2017, 19:42

“Raw fish sir?” asked nobody. Nevertheless, 50g of raw bluefin tuna and 50g of raw kingfish ended up on my plate, with bits carrot, spring onion and celery plus some soy sauce and wasabi. Bloody nice!

While at the market earlier I saw: camel pastrami! Of course I immediately bought 100g of it, sliced thin. Camel meat is delicious but the live animal is a feral pest destroying desert ecologies! Shoot them! Eat them! Yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2017, 20:05

Eating a delicious fish stew I made. Crocodile, prawns, flathead and lobster (from the Bahamas.) Had bought squid rings but muggins here forgot to put them in, D’oh!

Veg included potato, carrot, fennel bulb and English spinach quickly wilted.

Bloooody nice!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Sep 2017, 09:13

Crocodile! Stew with bite! :jump

Haven't done any grocery shopping yet but still have a fair few eggs and some lemons left on the tree - might make a lemon curd before the lemons finally fall off and end up wasted.

Lime tree just starting to put out a heap of little new fruit.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2017, 09:35

The croc absorbs all the delicious flavors in the stew (or gumbo etc.) By itself it is bland.

Lemon curd is to die for!

Must buy another tub if it, maybe make some meringue to use some of it on?

I bought another 2.5Kg blood orange, will juice and can the juice tomorrow—out all day today.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Sep 2017, 17:18

1.6L juice (blood orange + juice of 4 lemons + couple navels) on the stove heading toward pasteurisation temp. 7 jars just been washed and sterilised.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Sep 2017, 18:09

Juice now in waterbath.

5 x 250ml jars, 2 x 150ml jars (and 1/2 150ml jar standing on the bench. That is going in the fridge once cool and tomorrow will buy a bottle English gin, experiment on a BO + gin + soda water drink. Hic!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Sep 2017, 18:21

Bought myself a 25cm diameter cast iron skillet. Be great, holds a lot of heat, can be taken from stovetop and put under the grill or in the oven—all metal, no plastic.

Now I want to find a proper omelette pan, the one I use is so old: parents brought it out from Holland 60 years ago! THAT is going to be a hard thing to find I reckon!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 13 Sep 2017, 08:20

Dad had a croc fillet burger at a crocodile farm up north once but said the same thing - it was pretty bland. Sounds like a candidate for currying?

Will go and pick those lemons today and make that lemon curd.

How was the "punch"? :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2017, 10:43

Haven’t bought the gin yet!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 07:09

Made some nice soft Anzac bikkies :bgrin Young bloke has been taking them for his school lunches, I ate the last ones yesterday while out digging. Very sustaining - just like they were originally meant to be! :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 07:30

Well, oats are good for you!

Wish we could find the real history and authentic WWI recipe tho, think we are only getting half the story.

Annie did like them, dunked in chicken soup! Oh well, takes all kinds of people :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 07:40

I am about ready to buy two solar panels and a portable power pack: a car battery that can be used to power stuff like a car fridge/freezer, just in case of a blackout in what could be a horror summer! July this year was as warm as El Nino year 2016, August 2017 is looking to be hotter than Aug 2016! BoM has forecast a hot spring in Australia.

Am cleaning out the shed, get access to the little cellarette (mechanics pit) there. Can put some food, tins of tuna, jar dill gherkins, jar picalilli etc there, cool salad quickly made. Bottles of beer, white wine etc likewise. Will have side by side freezer contain heap of frozen brine in 2L milk bottles, keep main fridge cool for a day or so. Milk can go in esky with another 2L bottle frozen brine: half fill some 150ml jars with milk, quickly pull a jar from esky, make pot of tea on gas burner.

Looking after a 97 year old in a blackout in a stinking hot summer not easy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 07:51

Annie did like them, dunked in chicken soup! Oh well, takes all kinds of people :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

I am really trying hard to imagine what that combination would actually taste like :bgrin Then again, it wasn't until I was over there that I discovered that bacon and maple syrup make a surprisingly good combination and now I understand why they eat bacon and pancakes dripping with maple syrup all on the same plate!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 17 Sep 2017, 07:57

HBS Guy wrote:I am about ready to buy two solar panels and a portable power pack: a car battery that can be used to power stuff like a car fridge/freezer, just in case of a blackout in what could be a horror summer! July this year was as warm as El Nino year 2016, August 2017 is looking to be hotter than Aug 2016! BoM has forecast a hot spring in Australia.

Am cleaning out the shed, get access to the little cellarette (mechanics pit) there. Can put some food, tins of tuna, jar dill gherkins, jar picalilli etc there, cool salad quickly made. Bottles of beer, white wine etc likewise. Will have side by side freezer contain heap of frozen brine in 2L milk bottles, keep main fridge cool for a day or so. Milk can go in esky with another 2L bottle frozen brine: half fill some 150ml jars with milk, quickly pull a jar from esky, make pot of tea on gas burner.

Looking after a 97 year old in a blackout in a stinking hot summer not easy!

Yeah, damn good idea to be prepared! With the UTTERLY FUCKING USELESS fibs in charge of our energy policy ("Energy policy? What's an energy policy?" dribbles Malcom, fuck me what a disaster these pricks are! :smack ) you want to be as ready as you can be I reckon. A freezer will keep food frozen a good 24 hours as ong as it isn't opened - which might be difficult if you're starving - but beyond that only dried/canned/pickled things will keep.

Big thing is keeping frail people cool during a heatwave when there is huge power demand.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 07:58

I think the problem here is finding the right maple syrup. Want the stuff that has been reduced, apparently.

Have made the southern biscuits a couple of times, are OK! Going to make a choc chip version later today.

Do remember being startled as hell reading “I fried the biscuits in the bacon fat” not knowing biscuits are something else over there.

Want to start on quickbreads too, some sound damn nice. Make some cornbread in my new skillet :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2017, 07:59

Bottle of metho—alcohol rub will help keep cool. Or bottle cheap vodka?

Yeah, we have a paralysed government with a clown desperate to stay PM and selling out any principles he ever had (or said he had.) Power is a problem. At least the SA government is doing something, the diesel generators and the battery but I fear this summer is going to be a bitch.

Anyway, having a solar generator and car fridge/freezer will help while the house is being built and in touring Tassie once the house is built.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic