Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 16:56

Two lots of stewed fruit cooling on the kitchen counter: rhubarb and strawberry and quince and pear. Both lots cooked in half red wine half water. Both spiced but not identically, the rhubarb/strawberry one spiced with cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and the quince/pear with star anise and lemon peel.

OK, off to make a semolina cake.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 17:51

Cake still in oven, 10–15 more minutes to go. Has risen nicely I was glad to see :rofl

Once that comes out the oven I will start making the orange syrup to pour over the cake.

Grilled garfish fillets tonight with spinach and potatoes. Was thinking of trying to make chips but fuck that, joints already aching from all the chopping and whisking and all that crap. Will keep it simple. Anyway, really nice fish fillets, simpler is better.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 18:07

Slow cooked (seven hours) Blade, roasted spuds, roasted pumpkin and peas about 45 mins away.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 18:14

Nice! Slow cooker meal?

(Well, nice excluding the euurghh! pumpkin :jump :jump :jump )
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 18:20

HBS Guy wrote:Nice! Slow cooker meal?

(Well, nice excluding the euurghh! pumpkin :jump :jump :jump )

Beef slow cooked due out in about 35 mins. Will then switch slow cooker to 'keep warm.' Spuds and pumpkin roasted in oven.....peas stove top.

Gravy out of a satchel.

What does one do when TIB is still in Scotland playing Grandma.....and.........(more news to come)........???
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 19:16

Looks like a lovely dinner tonight, nice lunch tomorrow.

Put any spices with the blade? Hmmm, did you sear the blade before putting it in the slowcooker?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 19:27

HBS Guy wrote:Looks like a lovely dinner tonight, nice lunch tomorrow.

Put any spices with the blade? Hmmm, did you sear the blade before putting it in the slowcooker?

Not spices. Sauces. And yeas....seared.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 19:40

Good. The searing puts lovely flavors into the meat: maillard reactions, browning reaction.

Bit of mace might have been nice?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 19:54

Fukkit! Wanted to test the cake, inserted skewer and withdrew: dough on the skewer, not cooked completely. That wasn’t the worst bit! :sad

I saw the cake sort of collapse around where I inserted and withdrew the skewer. NO! Yes! Ah fuck!

Never mind, a nice tasting cake, will make it again and soon.

It included 250ml of EVOO, first time I made a cake with olive oil. It will be eaten no probs about that. Will make it again and soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 20:25

HBS Guy wrote:Good. The searing puts lovely flavors into the meat: maillard reactions, browning reaction.

Bit of mace might have been nice?

Just knocked it off, .... all cleaned up and lunch tomorrow (after golf) ready. Fanfuckingtatsic!
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 21:19

Yeah, second rate cuts, cooked s l o w l y over some hours give beautifully glutinous glossy meat.

Could make beef rendang that way.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 21:24

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, second rate cuts, cooked s l o w l y over some hours give beautifully glutinous glossy meat.

That one was almost seven hours on low in the slow cooker. I'll do a google on 'rendang' and give it a go now I have that crock pot out.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby Aussie » 16 Jun 2017, 21:25

Aussie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, second rate cuts, cooked s l o w l y over some hours give beautifully glutinous glossy meat.

That one was almost seven hours on low in the slow cooker. I'll do a google on 'rendang' and give it a go now I have the crock pot out.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2017, 21:29

Rendang is an Indonesian beef curry. Not chili hot but has some nice spices. Add some sambal oelek and rice to the plate.

Just a spicier version of what you made today, really.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2017, 08:44

Hoping to finally pick up my pig head this morning!

If so, will be making peasoup just as wintry weather is here courtesy of clear skies and dry air.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2017, 14:47

Got my pig head, yay!

Currently in a nice warm bath with leek, carrot, celery, onion, bay leaves and peppercorns. Will simmer this very gently for a long time.

When I upload and post the pictures you will see it is quite a big bastard, hence the looooong slow simmering.

With the wintry weather, quite a good time to be making peasoup! Dutch peasoup, snert, real peasoup!

Gonna thicken the soup with grated celeriac, knolselderij in Dutch (big knob of celery, kinda.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jul 2017, 12:04

In the early hours of this morning I turned off the heat under the pan with the pig head etc. Have to go do some finance and business thingies and buy a couple things from Bunnings then will strain the stock, pick any useable meat off the pig head—including some not too fatty scraps for the mutt—and ditch the head and the boiled out veges.

Might then reduce the stock, will have to see HM litres of stock there are.

Yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jul 2017, 13:32

A slightly belated cooked breakfast this morning.

Had some cherry toms so got the oven preheated while I washed, halved, s&p the toms, bit EVOO etc. They went in the oven.

Got the packet of “hand cured bacon” and took out some rashers. Got a capsicum and sliced that into narrow strips, wrapped the rashers around a few strips, left the rest raw for a bit of crunch.

Boiled—damn, 2 seconds too long so hardboiled—a dozen quail eggs. I do like them but, fuuuuuck, fiddly to peel! Bacon+capsicum into the oven, slice some bread—I never buy presliced bread—etc. slice bread, some of the tomatoes, quail eggs on top, bacon+capsicum next to the bread, raw strips capsicum on the other side.

Shit it was nice! Should have cooked the bacon a bit longer maybe. Know for next time.

But deelish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jul 2017, 13:32

A slightly belated cooked breakfast this morning.

Had some cherry toms so got the oven preheated while I washed, halved, s&p the toms, bit EVOO etc. They went in the oven.

Got the packet of “hand cured bacon” and took out some rashers. Got a capsicum and sliced that into narrow strips, wrapped the rashers around a few strips, left the rest raw for a bit of crunch.

Boiled—damn, 2 seconds too long so hardboiled—a dozen quail eggs. I do like them but, fuuuuuck, fiddly to peel! Bacon+capsicum into the oven, slice some bread—I never buy presliced bread—etc. slice bread, some of the tomatoes, quail eggs on top, bacon+capsicum next to the bread, raw strips capsicum on the other side.

Shit it was nice! Should have cooked the bacon a bit longer maybe. Know for next time.

But deelish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2017, 14:50

Got a cookbook I ordered a little while ago “Southern Biscuits.”

These are not what we call biscuits, the yanks call them “cookies.” These biscuits are more like scones.

Nice variety. Breakfast biscuits and lunch biscuits.

Nice coronary causers: biscuits with bacon fat and parmesan. Probably best not to have them everyday :jump

But some nice warm cinnamon biscuits with the morning coffee sounds pretty nice to me!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 08 Aug 2017, 13:05

Circumstances have caused me to reveiw efficiency lately - namely, when you have a busy household in which everyone works full-time (or longer and is required to bring home and do work in their own time), then things like good food end up getting wasted. You're often just too fucked to worry about whether or not a bunch of stuff you bought with the grocery shopping is going to end up getting chucked if it doesn't get used quickly.

Then something happens to render you not fully functional and you end up at home. But you can still potter about the house a bit.

I looked at the big pool of dripping left in the roasting dish after cooking a pork shoulder and thought back to when I was little - neither of my grandmothers would have ever just tipped that out! No, it would have been kept and used again for something else. I poured it off into a container once it had cooled a little and refrigerated. Just checked it, it has seperated into a layer of fat and a layer of transparent jelly. I'm sure the dripping part will be useful for cooking something, while the jelly actually smells pretty good and I can imagine turning it into a stock as a base for soups and stews - just like grandmas did.

I also re-used a "sauce" that was created when I oven-cooked some chicken thighs the other night after stuffing them with a mixture of cream cheese and crushed garlic cloves and wrapping them in bacon rashers. The thighs were very tasty but the sauce was even better a couple of days later and made some veges more exciting.

No sense wasting good food :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Aug 2017, 15:24

Waste not want not.

I also do a bit more food shopping but buy much less each time. Less waste!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Aug 2017, 15:27

Was at the market today, buying some things for today and tomorrow.

Bought some buttermilk—going to make some southern (USA) biscuits (which are scone type things.)

Be nice to get a few recipes down pat, whip up some yummy bread in a short time! Will post a few recipes here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Aug 2017, 15:43

Bought some dark blood oranges at the market thinking of adding my own (unbloody) blood oranges and making BO marmalade.

Still got plenty BO marmalade from last year, going to juice them and can the juice.

Little bit tricky, if any pith gets in the juice it will be bitter as a mother in laws tongue :jump

So handsqueeze—will use the mixer attachment on the Kenwood tho. Add 3 lemons per 2Kg of oranges to ensure sufficient acidity.

Pour juice into a pan through a sieve, no tissue to get into the juice, no pips etc.

Heat to 190°F (haven’t looked up what that is in °C) and keep it at that for 5 minutes. Pour into sterilised jars, 5mm headspace then process in a waterbath 15 minutes.

In summer: BO gelato, gin and BO juice, BO sauce etc.

Also bought a nice little tub of lemon curd and a bigger tub of jersey cream, make something nice with that!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Aug 2017, 20:28

Nice little freerange duck for dinner. Shoved a blood orange up its arse with a sprig of rosemary. Had some parsley left, quick chop, shoved that into the other end.

A parsnip, diced and some nice (tho large) brussel sprouts went under it.

Not much duck is left. Still have the carcase to pick for lunch tomorrow.

Making Southern style biscuits tomorrow for brekky.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic