Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Nov 2018, 08:59

And everyone loves lassie not curdled toad milk from a x chec republic. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion
 
Posts: 736
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 21:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2018, 11:13

Just got a little book in the post “Little Muffin Cookbook.” Thought I had checked but not well enough—another copy is on its way.

No matter, one copy can go to my great niece Milly, just at an age kids like to cook.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby fisherman » 07 Nov 2018, 12:48

DonDeeHippy wrote:And everyone loves lassie not curdled toad milk from a x chec republic. :purple


Chec republic is better than your India, let me tell you. And it's Airyan, not a Rough Collie dog from Scotland.
fisherman
 

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2018, 14:08

Air-yan, nothing in between the ears?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2018, 01:43

Can anybody recommend a great book on making muffins and teacakes?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby Texan » 23 Nov 2018, 15:23

I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 14:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Aussie » 23 Nov 2018, 15:34

Texan wrote:I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.


Gawd......you must be huge!!!

:b
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7591
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 23 Nov 2018, 16:21

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.


Gawd......you must be huge!!!

:b


Nah Aussie, it's their Thanksgiving Day today.... I got a text from cousin in Calif wishing me a happy thanksgiving Day, I texted we don't have it here in Oz.
Turkey is always on the menu for thanksgiving is it Texan?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 23 Nov 2018, 18:29

Texan wrote:I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.


:OMG
gee, and I thought we Italians ate a lot
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 23 Nov 2018, 18:39

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.


:OMG
gee, and I thought we Italians ate a lot


:roll :beer It's a bit like, we are always into food, a lot, and we eat well, I like to cook more than go out to eat, because I like to cook from scratch, so I am with food all the time. In my kitchen, where you'll find me! :bgrin
Doing gluten free for the daughter, lactose free for the son, (when they come over to visit), and everything else for us!

I get that delivery "Hello Fresh" meals and it's amazing, low fat, fresh, healthy, and different meals and tecniques with herbs, dressings, etc. I can get 3 meals per night, for 3 nights for 3 adults, for $69.

If I am not wrong, I think I am saving money with this delivery and don't waste much on supermarket buying hap hazzardly and randomly, and always wondering what to cook.

Tonight, daughter requests pasta marinara, (she is visiting from interstate for the week)....so I drive out into the rain :rain and buy fresh seafood and gluten free pasta.
Gosh it's been raining all day here! And some trees have come down. Lucky it didn't take out the water pump on top of the water tank!

Speaking of going out to eat, the only Italian restaurants that were a hit with us, was Pellegrinis in Melbourne (yes, sadly Sisto's) and one up in Lae Drive in Runaway Bay. I asked where they get the recipe from for their sauce, and they answered "Nonna".
My son said, there is an Italian restaurant in Lake Havasu USA that makes pasta sauce just like grandma's (my mum).

We stopped at Sofia's after we picked up daughter from Tullamarine last weekend, and the home made gnocci was dry, the mince sauce was too thick and gluggy, and hubby didn't enjoy it.
I tasted it and thought, nope, not a fave for this restaurant.

Glad I got something different. My mum makes her own spagetti and gnocci and it's smooth and easy to digest. Don't know what was in that restaurants home made gnocci, but can't fool us old Italians!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Texan » 23 Nov 2018, 19:05

Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm going to explode. We had turkey, dressing, ham, green bean casserole, jalapeño corn casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, and banana pudding. We stuffed ourselves and watched the Cowboys beat the Redskins. My son and his wife are down from Kansas. Last visit before the granddaughter arrives next month.


Gawd......you must be huge!!!

:b


Nah Aussie, it's their Thanksgiving Day today.... I got a text from cousin in Calif wishing me a happy thanksgiving Day, I texted we don't have it here in Oz.
Turkey is always on the menu for thanksgiving is it Texan?

Yes it is. My family, my brothers family and my parents made a feast and we ignored any diets today. My oldest is down from Kansas and my nephew came home from college. We even sprung my FIL from the nursing home for the meal. He is 89 years old and has Alzheimer’s, but he still enjoys a good meal.

Last year, we skipped the turkey. My rooster attacked Mrs. Texan and I baked him for Thanksgiving at her request.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 14:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Aussie » 23 Nov 2018, 19:16

My rooster attacked Mrs. Texan and I baked him for Thanksgiving at her request.


On behalf of the 'roosters' of the Planet......

:up
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7591
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2018, 19:39

You think you roosters have it tough?

Just lay an egg every so often, cluck nicely at the person bring food.

Try being a pig, eh? Magic animal the bastard humans call us, pork/bacon/ham! “No part of the pig is wasted” except the life of Porky Pig!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 23 Nov 2018, 19:58

Lols wrote:and the home made gnocci was dry,




I miss my mums home made gnocchi. I never paid attention when she was making them and my wife didn't even know what they were until she married me.

Ohh well. Such is life
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 23 Nov 2018, 20:18

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:and the home made gnocci was dry,




I miss my mums home made gnocchi. I never paid attention when she was making them and my wife didn't even know what they were until she married me.

Ohh well. Such is life


Do you cook John?
Anyway, it's not just the gnocci, its the way the sauce is made and how it tastes.
My mum's had an old fashioned flavour, I could never mimic it, but I made my own, my own flavour, my kids and their partners/friends have always loved it, and would ask me for the recipe, and I see my kids nodding their heads "NO".....it's got to be a well kept family secret.
Funny enough, talk about paying attention to the mum...here is my son, now in his mid 30's finally asking me how I do my sauce. So I show him, step by step, and he takes photos with his iphone.
One day, I will get him to make it in front of me!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 23 Nov 2018, 20:35

Lols wrote:
Do you cook John?


A little. Although I don't have a very large range. Just enough to stop the wife whinging. :bgrin

I know what you mean with the sauce. I don't do a bad impression of mums sauce but It'll never taste the same as hers . I'm satisfied that my sauce is good enough that I don't really miss her sauce. My wife and kids love my sauce.

With one exception. Every now and then mum used to get her hands on some kid (baby goat meat), and cut it up and let the sauce simmer all day. To die for. Also she made a very good marinara sauce.

Growing up, my house was the one all the other kids in the street went to just to try and get some of mums cooking. She was a brilliant cook. She had a knack for it. On the very odd occasion when she'd go to a restaurant, if she tried something new and liked it, she'd spend the next day at home tinkering around in the kitchen until she could replicate the flavour. She more often then not got pretty close.

If we only knew then what we know now :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 23 Nov 2018, 21:16

Good for you having your own yummy sauce recipe your kids love.
It is hard to replicate it from one generation to another.
I was born in Oz, I grew up never knowing my nonnas in Italy, that my parents left behind in 1951, never knew how my nonnas cooked or how it tasted.
I got an idea of it, from an aunt, that came to visit us for the first time, from Italy, in the 1990's, she came to see mum (her sister) and then, in 2001, my daughter then 17, and myself, went to Italy for the first time ever, to see where our ancestors came from. We stayed with Zia. It was amidst all the vineyards and beautiful countryside. The wine was being made down in the cellar and it really was an amazing cultural experience. They grow their vineyards so different to the way they grow it here in the Yarra Valley. I saw an old house that my dad grew up in, and the fireplace where his mum cooked the meals for all. So different to the way we cook with our modern gas and electric stoves/ovens. It was like a lever that had a big pot on it, and would swing over the fire to brew the food for hours. That's the secret, slow cooking.
Anyway, Zia cooked this fish recipe in this sauce, that my daughter absolutely loved, and now I wish I had watched the way she did it.
Daughter raves about it from time to time, and somehow, on board a cruise ship recently with the hubby and daughter, my daughter was ecstatic, she said there was a dish that was just like Zia's fish with sauce recipe!!! 17 years later, and she found a dish just like that taste she remembered!

Well there we have it, with all the chefs from all over the world on cruise ships, someone has to have a certain recipe we know of in family tradition.

Of course, cruising is all about the food too! Absolutley love all the different types of dishes presented every day.

Lucky I like to keep active, and I don't sit around on them banana lounges, I go walkies all over the ship to explore it. Fortunately, I never put on weight as a result!
Some I see, have expanding waistlines...and I go.... :giggle

It's the photography that keeps me on the go, I take a lot of photos, and from different vantage points, to get some different shots from everyone else. My camera keeps me active :bgrin
So how many photos did I take on a week cruise......ummm….usually anything from about 2000 upwards :bgrin and of course, take photo of the food!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 23 Nov 2018, 21:36

I know what you mean about the slow cooking over a free. I went to visit my grandmother several times while she was alive. She had a wood burner heater, and during winter, all the food was cooked on that. The flavour is different to food cooked on an electric or gas hob. I don't know why, it just is. I'm familiar with the vineyards, the home made olives and salamis are to die for. It's an experience that goes beyond just food.
My dad still makes coppa, sends me some every year, I have sicilian friends that make salami, they send me some every year. So I'm fortunate that I still get to sample some of the traditional flavours. I'll certainly miss them when they stop sending them to me.

What part of Italy are your family from?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 23 Nov 2018, 21:48

johnsmith wrote:I know what you mean about the slow cooking over a free. I went to visit my grandmother several times while she was alive. She had a wood burner heater, and during winter, all the food was cooked on that. The flavour is different to food cooked on an electric or gas hob. I don't know why, it just is. I'm familiar with the vineyards, the home made olives and salamis are to die for. It's an experience that goes beyond just food.
My dad still makes coppa, sends me some every year, I have sicilian friends that make salami, they send me some every year. So I'm fortunate that I still get to sample some of the traditional flavours. I'll certainly miss them when they stop sending them to me.

What part of Italy are your family from?


From Abruzza. San Giovani/Rosciano.

And you are right about the flavour of the food over there, even their coffee was to die for. I loved the way they made hot lemon tea, and the gelati was incredible, even on the show Everybody Loves Raymond, when the family went to Italy, the way he reacted with the gelati, I know that!!

I was just looking at the cruise photos since I mentioned it, and at the food pics, I came across something I never tried before, it was snails, my dad had gone to work as a young man, in a place in France, called Denain, in the mines. He became fluent in french, and he liked the snails....I remember that, and I never, as a kid, wanted to eat snails!!!
Now I tried it on the cruise a couple months ago, and it was amazing, done in a garlic sauce, I am trying to see if I can upload some photos of it on here.

Image
Image
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Texan » 24 Nov 2018, 01:09

HBS Guy wrote:You think you roosters have it tough?

Just lay an egg every so often, cluck nicely at the person bring food.

Try being a pig, eh? Magic animal the bastard humans call us, pork/bacon/ham! “No part of the pig is wasted” except the life of Porky Pig!

Roosters don’t lay eggs. They crow a lot and have sex with a hen every 15 minutes. They protect the flock by warning of predators and sometimes offering themselves up by attacking the predators. They aren’t necessary to get eggs. They only make the eggs fertile.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
User avatar
Texan
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 14:38
Location: Ellis County
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2018, 08:02

Yes, I know all that—have kept chooks and will again in Tassie.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50085
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 24 Nov 2018, 10:29

Lols wrote:
johnsmith wrote:I know what you mean about the slow cooking over a free. I went to visit my grandmother several times while she was alive. She had a wood burner heater, and during winter, all the food was cooked on that. The flavour is different to food cooked on an electric or gas hob. I don't know why, it just is. I'm familiar with the vineyards, the home made olives and salamis are to die for. It's an experience that goes beyond just food.
My dad still makes coppa, sends me some every year, I have sicilian friends that make salami, they send me some every year. So I'm fortunate that I still get to sample some of the traditional flavours. I'll certainly miss them when they stop sending them to me.

What part of Italy are your family from?


From Abruzza. San Giovani/Rosciano.

And you are right about the flavour of the food over there, even their coffee was to die for. I loved the way they made hot lemon tea, and the gelati was incredible, even on the show Everybody Loves Raymond, when the family went to Italy, the way he reacted with the gelati, I know that!!

I was just looking at the cruise photos since I mentioned it, and at the food pics, I came across something I never tried before, it was snails, my dad had gone to work as a young man, in a place in France, called Denain, in the mines. He became fluent in french, and he liked the snails....I remember that, and I never, as a kid, wanted to eat snails!!!
Now I tried it on the cruise a couple months ago, and it was amazing, done in a garlic sauce, I am trying to see if I can upload some photos of it on here.

Image
Image



Ahh Abruzzo. I've never been to that part of Italy although I plan to one day. Different cuisine to what we have in Calabria. Another great thing in Italy. So much variation in the food from region to region.

Gelati, pizza, all very different to here. I know what you mean about the coffee. I specifically order my coffee from Sydney because it's the only way I can get the imported coffee from Italy. I have a box of 'Guillermo' delivered roughly every 2 or 3 months, depending on the number of visitors I get. It's still tastes different to what it tastes like in Italy, but it's better than nothing
I've never tried snails. A local rib house has them on the menu, and I keep meaning to try them, but so far I haven't been able to get past the ribs. They're just mouth watering. I'll try the snails one day.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 25 Nov 2018, 18:31

Ahh Abruzzo. I've never been to that part of Italy although I plan to one day. Different cuisine to what we have in Calabria. Another great thing in Italy. So much variation in the food from region to region.


Isn't it ironic! Different regions, different dialecs, different names and slightly different ways, for the same food!
Hubby's ancestors are from Ovada, Northern Italy, I find their ways of doing minestrones so different to mine, but still so yummy!

I specifically order my coffee from Sydney because it's the only way I can get the imported coffee from Italy. I have a box of 'Guillermo' delivered


Now I wouldn't mind getting some details off you so I can order some! :rose pretty please
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 25 Nov 2018, 19:51

Lols wrote:
Ahh Abruzzo. I've never been to that part of Italy although I plan to one day. Different cuisine to what we have in Calabria. Another great thing in Italy. So much variation in the food from region to region.


Isn't it ironic! Different regions, different dialecs, different names and slightly different ways, for the same food!
Hubby's ancestors are from Ovada, Northern Italy, I find their ways of doing minestrones so different to mine, but still so yummy!

I specifically order my coffee from Sydney because it's the only way I can get the imported coffee from Italy. I have a box of 'Guillermo' delivered


Now I wouldn't mind getting some details off you so I can order some! :rose pretty please



Gulli Foods

https://gullifood.com.au/coffee-beverages
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby Lols » 26 Nov 2018, 10:50

Okay, I phoned them as there wasn't a way to 'register' online, only sign in.
I found they need to send me an application, and need my ABN number (lucky I have one!) Although to do with photography.
But then again, I do photograph food! :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest