Technology & Science

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Technology & Science

Postby Lefty » 03 Aug 2016, 06:18

So the pheasant coucal which is common here...is a cuckoo it seems? Pretty hard to imagine the Nullabor covered in trees!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Aug 2016, 08:22

Yeah, in the same genus as cuckoos anyway.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Aug 2016, 06:59

Soap bubbles:

Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2016, 00:02

Hah! Had a nice ding dong battle was a couple idiot anti–vaxxers!

One said the polio epidemic of the 1950s was a lie. I asked why each class I went to had kids with legs in calipers. I told the idiots they felt safe enough to play antivax because the last epidemic was 60 years ago. I said hearing urgent broadcasts/warnings means that even now after a visit to the ’loo I wash my hands, have to wash my hands. Idiot then said hygiene not vaccine prevented a recurrance to which I patiently pointed out that high hygiene standards would have lapsed with time and so it was vaccines prevented a fresh epidemic but that polio etc would roar back into business when enough idiots didn’t bother to vaccinate their kids.

Another idiot said vaxxed their kid/kids and that caused autism. Didn’t bother responding to that, the whole antivax case depended on one kid way back when developed autism after being vaccinated—causal link never established but this is the grain of irrelevant truth antivaxxers hang their entire case on.

Enjoyed myself greatly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 06 Aug 2016, 13:52

Anti-vaxxers are tools! But I guess the irony is that some people can get sucked into it because there have not been any epidemics nor terrible pandemics in their lifetimes - thanks to vaccination!!!! Dickheads!!!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2016, 17:04

Yup, hence they can pose as antivaxxers, get attention perfectly safely.

But measles epidemics are back and have caused deaths—in very recent times I mean.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2016, 05:59

Wow, beavers are being reintroduced across Europe including England:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161005-beavers-are-back-in-the-uk-and-they-will-reshape-the-land

Despite prejudice against them these “ecological engineers” are proving their worth, removing silt and nitrates from rivers where they have their dams, improving fish and frog populations and habitats, even invigorating the trees they cut down with their teeth.

Beavers don’t eat fish—they are herbivores. Didn’t stop 23 of them being shot in Scotland.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 11 Oct 2016, 06:32

Lucky for them they can re-introduce many of the animals that have been long exterminated from such places (Britain had bears and wolves in the past). For Australia it's too late - the remarkable creatures that roamed here and shaped the landscape previous to the last ice-age (some as little as 12 000 years ago) are long gone and there are no living creatures remotely like them to take their place. The herds of giant Diprotodon that grazed the landscape, Megalania the giant monitor lizard that made a Komodo dragon look tiny, the marsupial lion - all gone.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Nov 2016, 08:07

Wow, forget the San Andreas fault, the Cascadia subduction zone is the one to watch:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

:OMG
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Nov 2016, 06:36

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, forget the San Andreas fault, the Cascadia subduction zone is the one to watch:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

:OMG

Nasty! :OMG

Was talking to a geo the other day, apparently the hotspot that created the chain of volcanics (and lots of good gemmy stuff :purple ) that runs the entire length of the eastern portion of QLD, NSW and Vic is still active - now under Bass straight - and another eruption is due.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Nov 2016, 09:02

Wow! Bass Strait eh? Hmmm.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Nov 2016, 06:10

Georgetown should be far enough inland to not worry about tsunamis?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2016, 07:01

Hmmmm doubt it, another reason maybe to prefer mid north NSW coast?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 23 Nov 2016, 06:56

I like NSW mid-north coast. Warmer than Tassie while not quite as hot as here. A nice, green environment, sort of almost sub-tropical. Plus if you want some pick and shovel work to work out that arthritis, the New England sapphire fields aren't far away :bgrin

Jeez, if you want a place that's in northern NSW but has a climate more like Tassie then the New England area is the place you want. The coast may be sub-tropical but New England is well elevated and even gets a bit of snow in winter!

Plus they have a pretty cool Celtic folk festival :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2016, 06:59

Yeah, places like that, cooled by altitude and the trade winds. Going there in Feb so can make sure of the “mild” summer, don’t have to go there in winter to know it is nowhere near Tassie cold, brrrr!

I got some hints from people on OzPol, so time to pull all the info together and look at some maps etc and get the trip organised.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2016, 16:56

This is RADICAL! Dinosaur tail found in amber:

As you can see—looks like feathers!

In my last year in palaeontology mention was made of a dinosaur with pits in its jawbones—made by whiskers? If a dinosaur had whiskers it may have had other hairs. Various dinosaurs had developed various ways to regulate body temperature, important to serpents. Feathers and an evolution to birds has been speculated. Now there is proof.

Since it is preserved in amber—can DNA be extracted? Jurassic Park for real?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/dinosaur-tail-trapped-in-amber-trnd/index.html?sr=twCNN120816dinosaur-tail-trapped-in-amber-trnd0532PMVODtopLink&linkId=32109284
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Dec 2016, 08:56

Yeah, saw that the other day, now that's cool! :jump

Now all we need is to find a whole dinosaur in amber, that would be the ultimate fossil!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2016, 12:21

Yeah—no DNA tho. Can still live in hope!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Mar 2017, 08:15

Wow, saw this last night and there is a video from ABC24: success in immunising devils against the dreadful facial tumor disease. We need our scavengers!

Can’t link the video directly but it was posted here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2017, 08:03

Wow! Best ever find of a bird in amber! Dates to 100 million years ago.

No DNA—the organic part has decomposed to carbon.

This bird is from the group called “opposite birds” and that group went extinct like the dinosaurs did. No parental care—birds hatched on the ground and climbed a tree, for safety I suppose. Pretty high death rate for the hatchlings!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2133981-bird-caught-in-amber-100-million-years-ago-is-best-ever-found/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Sep 2017, 10:17

Dem robots gedding bluddy clevah!

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 06 Sep 2017, 07:52

He better be careful doing that with that hockey stick :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2017, 11:27

Yeah, they put in a bit of self defence code—and poking it with a hockey stick might see the pokee get treated like a hockey puck!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2017, 17:19

Jellyfish galaxies? Yup, and they are not good news:

http://www.theevolvingplanet.com/jellyfish-galaxies-supermassive-black-hole/

Like some flowers? How about 100 million year old flowers still in perfect condition—and a proof of continental drift:

http://www.theevolvingplanet.com/preserved-flowers-100-million-years-ago/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Sep 2017, 09:28

Horror of the ocean - the Bobbit worm!
http://www.theevolvingplanet.com/horror-ocean-bobbit-worm/

Actually, these are closely related to a species used in Queensland as bait. "Beachworms" as they are called - they can grow to the same length as the Bobbit worm - are caught by dragging a smelly dead fish through the surf on a sandy beach as the wave recedes and watching for the heads to pop out of the sand, sniffing for the source (they eat carrion as well as hunt). They are quickly offered a small piece of bait and when they bite into it you have to grab them behind the head with just the right timing, as they arch their back just before disappearing beneath the sand. They are then carefully pulled from the sand. I was never very good at it. Unlike my grandmother though, I never got bitten by one :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic